Wesnoth 1.13.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.4

Post by Iris »

Aldarisvet wrote:Also I found strange and undesireble that all userdata gone to \My documents\My Games\Wesnoth 1.13\ instead of going to the proper place in the game directory.
I am on Windows 7.
Microsoft finds it “strange and undesirable” that anyone on Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 would want their application to write to a single admin-restricted system directory regardless of the user account running it.

I am the one responsible for that change and wrote a quite extensive explanation for the 1.13.2 announcement, under the “New user files location” heading.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

doofus-01 wrote:Can we go back to the good ol' days, when closing the window would close the program, without the confirmation dialog? Or can there be an option in advance preferences to disable that dialog?
I pushed for this change because I found it annoying that I could lose the progress in my game (or worse, in the map editor) by accidentally hitting Cmd+Q. This isn't an uncommon problem - W is right next to Q on my keyboard, and S is also pretty close. (Also A, but that probably doesn't make a difference in this case.) It's certainly possible to add an option to disable this, I guess. I really don't see the point, but it wouldn't be hard to do.
Aldarisvet wrote:Also I found strange and undesireble that all userdata gone to \My documents\My Games\Wesnoth 1.13\ instead of going to the proper place in the game directory.
I am on Windows 7.
This isn't strange at all, given that Windows doesn't like programs to write to their install directory. Leaving the userdata dir in the install directory would probably force people to run Wesnoth as administrator, which is not a good idea.

EDIT: Also, nuorc and Aldisvaret (and possibly others) may be pleased to know that re-enabling the ability to set fullscreen resolution is planned.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Leaving the userdata dir in the install directory would probably force people to run Wesnoth as administrator, which is not a good idea.
Since Microsoft essentially founded the Holy Church of Backwards Compatibility, it really doesn’t, which is even worse as UAC Virtualization (the mechanism in charge of transparently working around broken applications for the user) has mysteriously broken before, is not exactly guaranteed to exist or be available by default forever (e.g. in future Windows 10 updates), and as I said in that post it causes more problems for everyone than it’s worth when most people have no actual technical need for it.

(Also, for the record, what I was actually supposed to do according to Microsoft was to hide the user directory in the hidden-by-default AppData dir in the user’s profile. I chose to not do that since it would only inconvenience the 90% of users who’ve failed to notice the in-game paths UI thus far.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

In fact, if I had been in charge of that change, it would now be in AppData instead of Documents\My Games or whatever the current path is. :P So from some perspectives, I suppose it could have been worse. (Also, it's still possible to force Wesnoth to look in the install directory instead of My Games, if you really want. Something about editing the shortcut to pass a --userdata-dir argument would do it. I don't know if there's a way that doesn't rely on shortcuts; maybe some kind of cfg file in the install directory?)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

The userdata location would be in protected install directory only if wesnoth was installed in that directory in the first place. Though I guess many people indeed install there...

The shortcut would be with target of "full path to game executable" --userdata-dir "full path to where userdata should be"
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

If you build wesnoth yourself you can also set the default userdata dir path with the 'PREFERENCES_DIR' macro
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
doofus-01 wrote:Can we go back to the good ol' days, when closing the window would close the program, without the confirmation dialog? Or can there be an option in advance preferences to disable that dialog?
I pushed for this change because I found it annoying that I could lose the progress in my game (or worse, in the map editor) by accidentally hitting Cmd+Q. This isn't an uncommon problem - W is right next to Q on my keyboard, and S is also pretty close. (Also A, but that probably doesn't make a difference in this case.) It's certainly possible to add an option to disable this, I guess. I really don't see the point, but it wouldn't be hard to do.
Well, maybe different systems behave differently, but for me:
A. BfW 1.12.5 (and earlier versions, as far as I remember)
1. Ctrl-Q -> Pop-up! "Do you really want to quit?"
2. Close the Window -> Wesnoth goes away.
Just like almost any other program, that doesn't have unsaved data for an output file you are writing.
B. BfW 1.13.4 (and 1.13.2, I think)
1. Ctrl-Q -> Pop-up! "Do you really want to quit?"
2. Close the Window -> Pop-up! "Do you really want to quit?"
If I'm trying to close Wesnoth Window when it is under another window, I have to get Wesnoth on top first.

The point is that I used to be able to get Wesnoth to just go away with one click, now I need to have an interactive user experience to do that and I don't see the reason. The two answers I've gotten seem pretty unconvincing, but no reason to fuss until I know we are talking about the same thing.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Ah, right, if I recall correctly, Cmd+Q maps to Ctrl+Shift+Q or something on other systems, while Cmd+W is Ctrl+Q. So it's a problem that's most noticeable on OSX. On Windows, if you accidentally hit Alt+F4, I think it would have also closed immediately; fortunately, it's significantly harder to hit Alt+F4 accidentally than it is to hit Cmd+Q accidentally.

Changing the OSX key mapping is not an option, since Cmd+Q is the standard "quit application" key. I think the Mac App Store would require Cmd+Q to quit the application, as well.
doofus-01 wrote:If I'm trying to close Wesnoth Window when it is under another window, I have to get Wesnoth on top first.
If you click the close button while the popup is already onscreen, the game will immediately close. That means you don't need to get Wesnoth on top, I think – just tell it to quit twice in a row. Still less convenient, though.
doofus-01 wrote:2. Close the Window -> Wesnoth goes away. Just like almost any other program, that doesn't have unsaved data for an output file you are writing.
But Wesnoth does "have unsaved data". As long as you're in the middle of a game (or in the map editor) and you haven't just saved, there is unsaved data (and I don't think the game currently can tell whether you've recently saved). So for Wesnoth to just close without a prompt is actually different from "almost any other program".
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:If you click the close button while the popup is already onscreen, the game will immediately close.
So it does... That I can live with, no more objections. :)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

A question about the new [option] keys: will wmllint be able to convert these automatically? Changing them manually is a big pain as I use hundreds of menus in all my add-ons and it's not find/replace friendly. Also, the wiki says label/message are synonymous, but I'm getting the error message even when an option doesn't use images or columns. Surely 'message' should still be valid?
error scripting/lua: The &image=col1=col2 syntax is deprecated, use new DescriptionWML instead.
One other thing: can someone explain the following note in the changelog?
Added name= and write_name= attributes in [item]
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: One other thing: can someone explain the following note in the changelog?
Added name= and write_name= attributes in [item]
[item] now has a "name" memeber (not exactly sure why i names it 'name' and not 'id') that doesnt really do anything exepct that it can be used [remove_item] image=<name>. If you don't specify a 'name' in [item] the game internally automatically creates a name for you (similar to automatic unit ids) in this case you can use the write_name field to make [item] return the name of the item to you.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

You'll have to ask Elvish_Hunter about the wmllint stuff and celticminstral about the syntax. I'm on wesbreak and can't deal with it right now.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I was under the impression that the deprecation warnings would not appear in-game, but only in the log. If that's not the case currently then that should be an easy fix.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I think there was already a change to the improper deprecation warning in the event that an option doesn't use columns or images. I can't remember whether the message was suppressed or changed in that case, though.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just to clarify: I am seeing these messages in-game in both cases (with and without images/columns).
So 'message' is still valid in an [option] tag?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves