Wesnoth 1.13.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aginor
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.4

Post by Aginor »

beetlenaut wrote:
Aginor wrote:beetlenaut's problem is most likely https://gna.org/bugs/?23909. This is an upstream issue with the video drivers on AMD hardware.
Yes, that's my bug. Silly me: I didn't search gna for "colour cursor". Wesnoth joins a growing list of software that used to work but has recently stopped working with "Won't fix: AMD's fault." Is there anything I can do about this?
If I knew of a solid workaround, other than "don't use colour cursors", I would have implemented it. We may look at disabling them completely for AMD hardware before the stable release unless we can find a better strategy.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Aginor wrote:If I knew of a solid workaround, other than "don't use colour cursors", I would have implemented it.
Don't worry about it. This is awfully annoying, but I'm not blaming the BfW developers. I guess my post could sound that way though. Sorry.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Zebo12345

Post by Zebo12345 »

beetlenaut wrote:
Aginor wrote:If I knew of a solid workaround, other than "don't use colour cursors", I would have implemented it.
Don't worry about it. This is awfully annoying, but I'm not blaming the BfW developers. I guess my post could sound that way though. Sorry.
Yo, man. It's a totally valid concern. I too, get screwed over by my AMD hardware. Starbound runs horribly because of it, ARK: Survival Evolved runs poorly because of it, looks like even Wesnoth might have a few issues because of it.

I'm starting to dislike AMD.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Can we go back to the good ol' days, when closing the window would close the program, without the confirmation dialog? Or can there be an option in advance preferences to disable that dialog?

EDIT: The new attack dialog is nice, but it seems to use the wrong key for the traits.
Attachments
1459043982.jpg
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Fix the attack dialog issue. I'll see about maybe allowing disabling the quit confirmation.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

vultraz wrote:I'll see about maybe allowing disabling the quit confirmation.
If end up doing that, could you get rid of all of the confirmation dialogs in debug mode, or is that a much bigger job?
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

If end up doing that, could you get rid of all of the confirmation dialogs in debug mode, or is that a much bigger job?
I don't see how this is related to using debug mode. I mean it is not like using debug mode makes it less likeley that one will accidently close wesnoth or the editor.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For the closing without confirmation, maybe also add a checkbox "don't ask again" or something along those lines.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

gfgtdf wrote:I don't see how this is related to using debug mode. I mean it is not like using debug mode makes it less likeley that one will accidently close wesnoth or the editor.
It's not the message when you close the whole game that is annoying, but constantly answering "Are you sure?" when you try to advance the turn without moving or quit back to the main menu. I might have to answer one of those questions a dozen times in a minute when I'm testing a complex event, and I do all that testing in debug mode.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote:It's not the message when you close the whole game that is annoying
It's annoying enough, though I agree with the rest of what you wrote.

Most other programs I use only pop up a confirmation when you are in danger of losing data, like if you try closing MS Excel without saving your work. Why it's used for Wesnoth is a complete mystery to me. If there is some MP reason for it, can't it be enabled for MP sessions only?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

doofus-01 wrote:Most other programs I use only pop up a confirmation when you are in danger of losing data, like if you try closing MS Excel without saving your work. Why it's used for Wesnoth is a complete mystery to me.
I think the reason it is there is that you are potentially losing your scenario in progress.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

beetlenaut wrote:
gfgtdf wrote:I don't see how this is related to using debug mode. I mean it is not like using debug mode makes it less likeley that one will accidently close wesnoth or the editor.
It's not the message when you close the whole game that is annoying, but constantly answering "Are you sure?" when you try to advance the turn without moving or quit back to the main menu. I might have to answer one of those questions a dozen times in a minute when I'm testing a complex event, and I do all that testing in debug mode.
wml already has an attribute to do exactly this: suppress_end_turn_confirmation in [side]. In 1.13 you can easily write a [modification] that sets suppress_end_turn_confirmation to true for all sides using [modify_side]
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

gfgtdf wrote:wml already has an attribute to do exactly this: suppress_end_turn_confirmation in [side]. In 1.13 you can easily write a [modification] that sets suppress_end_turn_confirmation to true for all sides using [modify_side]
My extra advice if it helps would be configure own add on with a debug mode. As example beetlenaut could add that key to [side] only for that mode. I have a macro in a file that I edit every time I want debug, and have several options encapsulated in

Code: Select all

#ifver WC_II_CONFIG_DEBUG == yes
#enddef
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A couple more things I've noticed, they may already be fixed, but here they are:
1. bad text layout/wrapping in the attack menu (1400X1024):
poison.jpg
poison.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
2. Gamestate Inspector -> recall list full : It seems to be truncated after some small number of lines. The scrolling just hits the limit pretty quickly, makes it pretty useless.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I tried 1.13.4 and it is unplayable for me with new resolution regime.
I have 1920*1080 screen but prefer playin 1024*768 to not broke my eyes.
Now fullscreen is fixed at 1920*1080, window mode just reduces the window physically but not actually do something with resolution.

Also I found strange and undesireble that all userdata gone to \My documents\My Games\Wesnoth 1.13\ instead of going to the proper place in the game directory.
I am on Windows 7.

P.S. I solved my problem with resolution manually changing it in OS, after that got needed resolution with fullscreen.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains