Wesnoth 1.12 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mikeanthony

Wesnoth 1.12 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Post by mikeanthony »

Hello,

In light of the security fix in the 1.12 release, I'd like to update the version of Wesnoth (1.10.x) on my machine - which is currently running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (precise).

I don't really want to update to a newer version of Ubuntu, as that would affect other things on the computer.

I've had a look, but can't find an install with any of the main package managers.

Searching this forum didn't turn up anything helpful either, as far as I could tell.

Am I missing something obvious, or looking in the wrong place? Or is it only possible to get this install working by compiling from source? (I briefly attempted that, but it threw some dependency errors and I'd rather find an easier way before I go traipsing around various forums working out how to get the source to build...)

Given that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is still a supported version, and that the new Wesnoth release has important security fixes, it would be nice for myself and others if getting this version upgrade was reasonably straightforward;

Can anyone offer any insights please?

Thanks,

Mike
gnombat

Re: Wesnoth 1.12 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Post by gnombat »

I believe the Ubuntu package for 1.10 contains the security fix backported from 1.12:

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs ... /changelog

If you still want 1.12, it will probably be fairly simple to compile it from source. If you're getting dependency errors, you may need to run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth
before you compile (as described here).
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Thanks gnombat;

I didn't realise the security fix had been backported; if all else fails I'll go that route. I'll still try to get 12.2 installed (if you're going to the bother of reinstalling, you might as well) -

However using build-dep won't help, as it builds the dependencies for the package manager version, which will be 1.10. (Just gave it a try, and sure enough it fell over, on sdl-mixer and boost) So I guess I'm off to have some "fun" working out what new versions of what I need to install to do a source compile... ho-hum :roll:

But thanks nonetheless for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated

Mike
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

mikeanthony wrote:Just gave it a try, and sure enough it fell over, on sdl-mixer and boost
If it's complaining about Boost Filesystem, you can probably fix that with

sudo apt-get install libboost-filesystem-dev
The SDL mixer issue is likely more complicated to fix - it looks like your version of Ubuntu has version 1.2.11, which is too old. So probably you would have to compile version 1.2.12 yourself.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Someone asked me about this by PM an hour ago or so, so I thought I would explain how to build Wesnoth 1.12.2 from source on precise without building or installing any newer libraries or adding any external repositories. The following is an excerpt from my PM:

I neither use Ubuntu nor do I know much about how things work on that distribution in particular as I am a Debian user, but my guess is that packagers may have chosen to not build Wesnoth 1.12.x for 12.04 due to some dependency changes we made very late in the 1.11.x development cycle that can’t be fully solved on 12.04.

It is possible to build Wesnoth 1.12.2 from source using Ubuntu 12.04’s libraries anyway, as I just tested on an Ubuntu virtual machine I had lying around.

Obtaining the base dependencies:

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
EDIT: The last line might not actually be needed.
EDIT2: If you want to do the homework for me, try building first without installing libboost-all-dev, and if you encounter any errors, install it and try again; then post your results.

Preparing the source dir (from the wesnoth-1.12.2 dir resulting from unpacking the wesnoth-1.12.2.tar.bz2 tarball) and performing the actual build:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DENABLE_BOOST_FILESYSTEM=OFF
make -jN
sudo make install
The arguments to cmake are very important, as .. points it to the parent dir so it can find the sources, -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release specifies to build an optimized (not slow) executable, and -DENABLE_BOOST_FILESYSTEM=OFF instructs it to not use some of our new dependencies (which is safe on Ubuntu, we introduced them primarily to solve Windows-specific bugs). Finally, you should replace the N in make -j[i]N[/i] with the number of CPU cores you have to speed up compilation.

(The make install step is optional and only needed if you want to install Wesnoth system wide and get a launcher for it in your desktop menu/dash. Otherwise, it is possible to run Wesnoth from the source dir directly or even create your own launcher.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

My old Mac G4 finally died and I decided it was time to give Ubuntu a try a long last. I also have 12.04LTS, and I need to know how to compile 1.12.2 on it. I have created two campaigns thus far and intend to create more going into the future, so 1.10 is not going to work for that. I took a look at the wiki page for compiling, and what I would like to know is, do I follow the instructions there first and then use the info given in this post? I took some Linux classes in college, but that was a long time ago and the only compiling we did was on Red Hat.

Thanks
-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

This will get you started, but you may have issues with missing/outdated libraries, if so try what shadowmaster mentioned above
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 73#p578396

The build-dep wesnoth may only install the 1.10 version, unless it has been updated.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

CrowT wrote:The build-dep wesnoth may only install the 1.10 version, unless it has been updated.
No, it doesn’t install any version of Wesnoth at all. apt-get build-dep only installs the dependencies listed for the given source package. On precise, wesnoth is a virtual package provided by wesnoth-1.10, so by doing a build-dep on that, you pull the dependencies for Wesnoth 1.10, which are more or less the same* for 1.12 sans Boost.filesystem and Boost.locale, the latter of which isn’t available on precise with the version we need; hence the -DENABLE_BOOST_FILESYSTEM=OFF option is crucial.

I decided to stick with cmake (which is used by the Debian and Ubuntu packagers themselves) for my guide rather than mention scons in order to keep it simple for the person who originally asked me for help.

* I think. See the homework step.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

shadowm wrote:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DENABLE_BOOST_FILESYSTEM=OFF
make -jN
sudo make install
You forgot a cd .. step here it seems, so that make finds files etc.
Can't the mkdir build, cd build, .. and cd .. steps just be left away though ? This build dir used to be created automatically.
I don't supposed this is applicable to 1.13 as well ?
And confirmed that it works. (I was unable to build wesnoth on my ubuntu precise since that requirements change last autumn, no particular need to compile on Linux as there are enough people doing it anyway.)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Anonymissimus wrote:You forgot a cd .. step here it seems, so that make finds files etc.
shadowm wrote:Preparing the source dir (from the wesnoth-1.12.2 dir resulting from unpacking the wesnoth-1.12.2.tar.bz2 tarball) [...]

mkdir build
cd build
No, I didn’t. The assumption is that the user knows how to open a terminal on an existing dir or somehow get there otherwise.
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

Please have a look at this new topic. Packages for Ubuntu are avalible now~
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42897