Debugging Wesnoth in Eclipse

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SeattleDad

Debugging Wesnoth in Eclipse

Post by SeattleDad »

I have Wesnoth compiling using SCons in Eclipse on Mac OSX (10.7) using the instructions at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/EclipseScons.

Everything is fine except that I can't use the debugger. I can execute it in Eclipse using Run->Run, but when I try Run->Debug, I get "Program is not a recognized executable".

Any advice here? This seems like more of an Eclipse problem than a Mac problem.

Thanks!
Luther

Re: Debugging Wesnoth in Eclipse

Post by Luther »

I don't know about Eclipse, but on the command line, you have to use 'scons build=debug' to compile the program. Otherwise, the executable won't have the symbols that the debugger needs in order to work. Look through Eclipse to see if it has a similar option for compiling.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Debugging Wesnoth in Eclipse

Post by Anonymissimus »

People who may be able to help you out: Alarantalara, vultraz, crimson_penguin. At best you meat them in IRC #wesnoth-dev.
Everybody without a Mac such as me (and I think Luther as well) can only guess. However, AFAIK nobody of the Mac devs is compiling with scons but the Xcode projectfile instead so it's surprising you got it to work. Does normal execution of the created binary work ? That guide you refer to was written by someone on Linux-only so may not be the best resource. I also know that gabba and fendrin are debugging with eclipse on Linux (but with cmake).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign