Wesnoth 1.3.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

xamil wrote:I have a short question.
When 1.3 line will be stable?
I dont expect an exacly date... i just want to know if this will be month, 3, 6, year or maybe two?;)
I'd personally guess a stable 1.4 release sometime within six months.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

ivanovic wrote:
Myr wrote:Is there a place one couple upload a compiled binary? I noticed there is no downloadable deb for the latest stable or dev release for Ubuntu, and I made one for 1.3.7.
Ehm, there were binaries, just have a look at the debian mirrors. Wesnoth tends to be updated in there in basically no time...
Well, still no 1.3.7 on there yet. Additionally, I would love to have 1 ubuntu package with everything included, instead of figuring out which set of 16(!!) .deb packages best matches with my Ubuntu version. :roll:

Myr how big is that package of yours? Can it be uploaded to a free hosting site?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think the wesnoth sub-packages (campaigns etc...) are going to be switched from "suggest" to "recommand" and thus be installed by default soon...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Boucman wrote:I think the wesnoth sub-packages (campaigns etc...) are going to be switched from "suggest" to "recommand" and thus be installed by default soon...
I think I'm not getting it. A little more detail? :D Do you mean that "recommended" UMC will be installed automatically by BfW when it connects to the campaign server?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Shadow Master wrote:
Boucman wrote:I think the wesnoth sub-packages (campaigns etc...) are going to be switched from "suggest" to "recommand" and thus be installed by default soon...
I think I'm not getting it. A little more detail? :D Do you mean that "recommended" UMC will be installed automatically by BfW when it connects to the campaign server?
That is just something special about the debian binaries (which ubuntu does use, too). The binaries are split into several packages, one for the maingame without any campaigns, one for the music, one for each campaign and so on. In general all the campaigns are suggested dependencies for the game binary itself but some package managers (like the one default in ubuntu) does not use/show these recommended packages...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

OK, more specifically

this is deeply debian/ubuntu specific

in these distros, Wesnoth is splited into multiple packages, one for the main game, and one for each mainline campaign (and a few more that are not relevant here)

each package can specify dependency on other packages, with different level

* require: the package won't work without the other packages (campaigns require the main wesnoth package)
* suggest: if you install this package, you probably will be interested in that other package (currently the wesnoth core suggest all campaigns)
* recommand : if you install this package, you most certainly want that other package. it's not mandatory, but you should know what you're doing if you don't install it ( wesnoth will recommand campaigns in future releases)

so the big change is that previously, installing wesnoth wouldn't install campaigns unless you asked for them

in the future, wesnoth will install all campaigns unless you specifically ask not to...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

They are already recommended. The problem is the default setting of the package manager which should be to automatically install recommended packages but apparently that isn't the case everywhere.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott