[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 10 - Xenophobia

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 10 - Xenophobia

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
jg

Post by jg »

(1) Easy, 1.1.1
(2) 4-5
(3) very
(4) very clear, and clever
(5) well, killing the dwarves (they had so much defence in the mountains)
(6)8
(7) None, really... though was it purpose that the elf only recruits couple of units?
Skippy

Re: Scenario Review - EI: Xenophobia

Post by Skippy »

Easy, 1.1.2a

8 (for something that is meant to be 'easy'). This was the first scenario in this campaign where I was at a loss about how to proceed.

Clear enough

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Interesting

Because it was easy I had not developed many high level units (just not enough killing to do in earlier scenarios). Also, I had the minimum gold because of the way previous scenarios go. Facing level 2 and 3 enemies was lethal.

For easy, not really.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A few less level 3 units for the enemies - this is meant to be easy. Even dwarvish steelclads were a challenge. They were hard to hit, resistant to all my attacks, and had lots of hit points.
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) medium, 1.1.7
(2) quite difficult (6)
(3) very clear
(4) Sometimes I wonder if those guys are shouting with megaphones at each other... :wink: The lines were good but the situation still unlikely (in the meeting of 4 forces of equal strength, some temporary alliances, or at least mutual ceasefires, almost inevitably take place).
(5) not losing units to berserkers and lv2 thunderguards. Despite their weak numbers, and the fact that I got to them and with almost all my units, the dwarves were way the deadliest. In contrast, the elves were very weak, recruiting only lv2 scouts.
(6) it's always fun to crush, slash and impale (6)
(7) more variety to the elven units, possibly a bit more elven $$$
EricDerKonig

Post by EricDerKonig »

1. Medium - 1.1.7
2. 2 - Rather Easy
3. Very Clear
4. Clear, but it didn't strike me as fitting into the campaign very well. I can't think of a good way to improve it, but I'll post if I do.
5. Keeping a close eye on those dwarves in the mountains so that they don't beat up my mages.
6. 7 - Quite fun
7. Perhaps give each enemy tribe a few more level 2 units, maybe one or two level 3's at start; however, I wouldn't want to see it become a slugfest, either.
The elves could definitely be made stronger, too. They didn't recruit anything else after their scouts (all of whom died within a couple of turns, thanks to the orcs and my lvl 2s and 3s.)
zigomar

Post by zigomar »

(1) Easy 1.1.1

(2) 10. This scenario is a challenge comparing to the previous one. If you come here with not enough gold and power unit you can not achieve it. I had to replay previous scenario to come back with more gold and better units. Even whit that it's still not easy.

(3) Clear

(4) Clear.

(5) Starting with enough gold and power units

(6) The map is big, ennemies are strong and protected by mountains or woods. You have many strategical choices, it's interresting.

(7) Why the Orcish leader can suddenly recruit very strong units in easy mode ?
Jami

Post by Jami »

-Normal 1.2.3
-5 Moderately
-Crystal clear
-I felt the dialog was bland in this one, especially the elves dialog in the intro.
-Erm... reloading a few times when I put my highest EXP Red Mage into a very bad position. I was cursing a blue streak for almost an hour on one turn ><
- 8 fun and deadly!
- For some reason the elves did not recruit many units (about three Elvish riders whom didn't last very long), while the orcs and dwarves spammed units.
- More time coudn't hurt. getting into/out of the forest in 12 turns is fairly difficult

(Please do not reply if you are not running 1.1.1 or later, as there have been changes to the scenario since previous versions.)[/quote]
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Normal 1.2.4

7. I had to restart the level once due to a poor strategic choice (attacking the dwarves first). The 2nd time I still had to indulge in a bit of re-loading lameness to keep my high level units.

Very clear.

The dialog was clear, but could use a bit more spice.

The first attempt I attacked the dwarves first since it is fast to access them across the plains. But this was a bad move, because the dwarves are strong in the mountains and generated more units than I expected from their # of villages. Also this allowed the orcs to build up their forces to huge numbers.

When I restarted I attacked the elves to the west first, abandoning my base after a couple turns and initially keeping everyone to the south away from the dwarves and orcs. The elves generated only 2 units (!) which had their hands full with goblin riders and trolls from the north. This let me run right up and kill their leader. By then the orcs were weakened from battling the dwarves, which made them easy marks. The dwarves were still tough at the end, but manageable since I could focus on them.

I give it an 8. I thought it was clever to pit enemies against each other this way, the player needs to think about how to use this to their advantage.

It would be nice if the dialog were improved and the # of villages matched the # of enemy units generated. The elves were weak, and the dwarves were a bit too strong, which limits the flexibility of approaches to this scenario.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 6 (perhaps less with different strategy)
3) Clear
4) Good
5) I chose to go counter-clockwise, attacking the dwarves first; despite most of the dwarves heading towards the orcs, just the leader, one ulfserker and one steelclad cost me all my cannon fodder to kill.

I could really have used enough money to recruit one extra unit at this point, (ogre to scout the mountain villages), but didn't have anything in the bank.

The orcs had one L3 scout and several L2 scouts, one of which levelled up at the expense of the elves, and these two L3 scouts nearly lost me control of the east part of the map. Fortunately one of them went off to attack the elven leader, and the other (after it had grabbed several villages in the SE) I managed to pin down and attack with multiple horseman units.

Time became a problem too; waiting for daylight to attack the orc main force (no way I was going to attack Trolls and Orcish Warriors with my now small force at night), then waiting for daylight to attack their leader, then slogging through woodland to reach the elvish leader. I first injured the elvish leader on turn 35, killed him on turn 36.

6) 9 - challenging and strategically interesting.
7) -
8 ) start gold 200.
mm_

Post by mm_ »

1. 1.4.3, easy
2. 3, the dwarf leader killed a few, and the horsemen are no use in the forest, but all in all it was just walking round killing them one after another
3. Very clear
4. Clear, but could have been more interesting with an alliance
5. The dwarvish king was killing my horsemen
6. 7: it was fun because of the all vs all fighting
7. Maybe a troll allie for the orc,the elves were killing orc after orc
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. medium 1.6.5
2. 4
3. crystal clear
4. very funny
5. fighting the elves in the forest
6. 7
7. none needed
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging, 1.8.3, starting gold 235, easier fork of campaign (so less leveled units.)

Clear.

Childish.

Doing it quickly without losing any leveled units is a challenge. The enemy leaders are especially difficult to take down and often require swarming.

First I followed the advice in the Wiki and purchased shock troopers, sending them towards the dwarves. The elves quickly finished off the orcs while I finished off the dwarves. Two problems at that point. First, my shock troopers took forever to extract from the mountains, and second elvish riders surrounded and managed to kill my arcane-enhanced knight. It was my fault for not being more wary of elvish riders.

I started again from turn 1 with a calvary emphasis and only one shock trooper, a quick one. This time I decided to take out the elves first. This left me to take care of the orc leader, as well as the dwarf leader, for better or worse. It was a bit hairy as my wounded forces had to fend off fresh dwarves, but it worked out with the loss of just a cavalryman. The final assault on the dwarf leader was quick and painless, as he succumbed to just a dragoon and a (just leveled) iron mauler. I also leveled a couple of baby ogres to ogres, a horseman to arcane-enhanced knight, and a red mage to silver mage. I think it's marginally better to take out the elves first, because the elves are richer (more villages with which you can accumulate gold) and the dwarf leader is tougher and thus better to take out with leveled troops.

7. Mechanically, it's good, but the concept is too cute.

If you want elves to fight orcs to fight dwarves to fight humans in a 4-way, you have to motivate it in previous scenarios. Like, maybe this is the "holy land" for each of the species, and we've been fighting in previous scenarios just to get here. Put some temples in the middle to make it seem holy. Maybe the dwarves, elves, and orcs were in a standoff/truce around a central "neutral zone" of the temples, until the humans threatened to take the holy land for themselves, and then all hell broke loose.
Attachments
EI-Xenophobia_replay.gz
(36.31 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
5 - Because of those darn elves. My Silver Mage did the trick, though.
Clear. Kill 'em all!
Okay. Better than normal.
Elvish Avengers, argh! Hard to fight in every way.
7 - Interesting scenario with its challenges.
As is.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 336 starting gold

Kill all leaders...

The 4-way fight is cute, but contrived.

None really. It got a little tight when I was closing in on the orc chief and suddenly all the elves also closing in on him turned on me and I got double teams for a turn.

Add some undead :-)
Attachments
EI-Xenophobia_replay.gz
(34.56 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

Clear

Okay.

The dwarves were left at the end and I didn't have much ranged attackers (in addition to Dacyn; 2 mages and 1 white mage), so dealing with the dwarves was quite tough.

8, I like the participation of quite many different races.

More gold for the enemies, so there is more action. I think this wouldn't even raise the difficulty level very much, because the enemies mainly attack each other,