Scenario Review: SoF 8 - The Dragon

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 8 - The Dragon

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Grumpy

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 8 - The Dragon

Post by Grumpy »

1) Normal / 1.4-1
2) 6
3) While keeping the story line, I would say clear as possible
5) I personally used a bit of a horrible strategy in doing this scenario and caused me to lose ALL my units :oops: except the heroes as my units defended against the hoard of army that came at me. After they got wiped, all I was doing was crossing my fingers that they wouldn't come any closer - or at least slowly. Then the dragon killed off my last standing non-hero unit (it as lvl3) in 1 shot :shock: . I thought I was pretty doomed, but the dragon backed off... If I was simply unlucky and the dragon stayed/pushed, I would have died for sure. So, I simply got away lucky. So... basically the hard part is the surprise. :P But the elf/dwarf units that are coming at you are pretty slow to come, especially dealing with the bats additionally.
6) 8/10
Rest) No/NA/No comment.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

2. Solely because the bats are annoying when you first go near the lava, and can kill a unit or two before you know it. The dreaded dragon never left his keep....

Crystal. Move it along basically.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Interesting, especially given the nature of finally crafting the sceptre, but it does not have that frantic escape through the caves, must make the sceptre quickly feel that it seems to be after.

None really, except detouring the bats to attack blue. :)

2. :annoyed: With the exception of the bats, I did not encounter any enemy contact (as blue could/did not catch up, and then just moved around pointlessly). It might be an issue with the AI or the code set that way, but blue pretty much stayed around the top of the map, so I had a lovely walk south.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make blue push you the whole way, making it a fighting run through the caves. Have the dragon come out and play when you are making the sceptre. I put a couple of stalwarts in place by that narrow opening so only two bats at a time could attack one of my units. And I could rotate my units out to the villages. Needless to say, it was easy.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good, though look into making the dragon a bit more aggressive? Also check about setting off his dialogue, it would never have happened if I had not sent the gryphon that way to play with bats. The whole scenario can be played with a player never knowing the dragon is there.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rykus

Post by rykus »

Medium

My runemasters dropped bats in 1 shot, and I was far enough ahead of the elves that the never caught me. 1 berserker caught up, but was easily dropped. The bats also attacked the elves to slow them down more. The dragon was the hardest part, taking out 2 or 3 of my guys.

Pretty clear. The forge was a bit of a surprise to find, which was cool, but not in the up-front objectives. But no confusion as to what to do.

Pretty interesting. I liked how it tied in to some of the other campaigns. Though it might have been fun to put in some random taunts between the elves and dwarves.

None, really.

Despite having a really easy time with it, seeing that elvish horde behind me made the forward push that more intense. And swatting all the bats with 1 shot after struggling so much on the previous stage made me feel good.

Maybe some more intermediate dialogue, or other events to slow down/divert your forward progress to keep the elves right on your heels, but not swallowing you.

No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
Javelin

Post by Javelin »

Normal, version 1.6

Very clear
Very clear
No challenges, the elves never got past the initial keep exept for two units. The dragon never left his keep, even when i tried to entice him. I did not lose a single unit.

Not fun, too easy and I didn't get to fight anything except for bats.

Force the dragon to come out at the end, to reclaim the anvil-thingy. Less bats and make it more of a running battle.

The griffin got cornered, stuck and killed by bats at the east-most lava passage.

n/a
Steveland

Post by Steveland »

This scenario was VERY DISAPPOINTING.

I played on hard and lost a lot of units going head on against the elves/Dwarves. However, as soon as I backed off and made a run for they didn't follow...... just hung around the cave entrance.

As for the dragon - he never left his keep!

This should have been a real running battle with the Elves/Dwarves at your heels the whole way but instead it was boring.

A real shame.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Steveland wrote:This scenario was VERY DISAPPOINTING.

I played on hard and lost a lot of units going head on against the elves/Dwarves. However, as soon as I backed off and made a run for they didn't follow...... just hung around the cave entrance.

As for the dragon - he never left his keep!

This should have been a real running battle with the Elves/Dwarves at your heels the whole way but instead it was boring.

A real shame.
1.6.2? The dragon issue has occurred in the past as well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

I'm on 1.6.4, I think, and again, no dragon, and the dwarves backed off after move2 or 3, with a lone bezerker coming from time to time.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Just played through whichever version of this is bundled with 1.8.
I've played it before on the same difficulty (Medium) and found this level incredibly boring, but not this time.
The bats held me up long enough for a good percentage of my troops to have to sacrifice themselves, though this was in part due to some very unlucky rolls by loremasters and thunderers. Once I passed the bats, I found myself haivng to consistantly leave behind a unit as a sacrifice so that the rest of my folks could get away. Once I got down to the choke points at the bottom I was ok, thanks to the constant flow of bats slowing down the occasional oncoming elf.
The chase seemed real this time, it was great, and though I was eventually able to overpower the enemy while my men forged the sceptre, if it had taken another few turns there might have been trouble. Excellently blanced for this difficulty.
The dragon came out a couple of times, once against me, once against the elves, but retreated pretty quickly. Perhaps when you reach the altar the AI should change and the dragon should just charge you, that would have made it an EXTREMELY close fight in the ending stages which seemed a little anticlimactic after the excellent earlier stages. This level is, in my opinion, one of the best ones out there, comparable to the climax of Liberty.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

3 – at first it seemed like it’ll be a challenge, but the elves and dwarves started moving only after I reached the anvil, so my main opponents were the bats (and the dragon, if you count the one time he attacked me).

Clear.

Clear.

Keeping the griffon alive until he healed after a few lucky attacks by bats almost killed him.

No changes.

No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
1 - Really? Bats? And that Landar doesn't move until you reach the forge? I think I actually have gone and killed lander with the forces I had.
Clear.
Again, what's with Landar allying with dwarves? Makes no sense in also that the Shorbear dwarves are dead already.
None.
2 - What?
Make it more challenging. Something.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Last edited by monochromatic on August 22nd, 2010, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 252 starting gold

Clear.

Okay.

Unlike the comments above, the scenario seemed fine to me. I had an initial small skirmish with about three of the mercenary dwarves, the rest of whom then stayed put for a while. I advanced to the Bats, which were Blood Bats, and lots of them, so it took a while to get rid of them and plus a level 5 Dragon popped out to attack briefly. About the time I had finished off the Blood Bats, the dwarves started advancing, while I still had wounded sitting on villages. I evacuated the wounded and ran like hell, because it sure looked like there were more dwarves than I could defeat. Two quick berserkers ran down my loyal level 3 Sentinal, and I learned the hard way that that's more than a Sentinal can handle. I lost another unit or two too. After that, I was able to seal my forces in the anvil chamber, with just two hexes exposed to attack.

I was sure hoping to see the Dragon attack the mercenary Dwarves.

No.
Attachments
SoF-The_Dragon_replay.gz
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Summary: Dragon never came out. Enemy hordes did pursue me after a couple of turns, but were easily held off by plugging tunnel. Getting through bats was only fun part.

1.8.4, Hard, 299 starting gold

I wasn't sure which way to run - you think I would be having entered the caves. This led to one loss (see 8).

This campaign has me not spending too much time dwelling on the storyline at this point.

Figuring out not to send key units SW to start.

Getting through the bats.

4. Getting through the bats is the only good challenge.

What's up with the Dragon being passive?

Holding off the horde for 9 turns was too easy and needs to be harder. Maybe make the tunnels wider and the horde less tough (it would be easy given the high level units in pursuit to make this impossible).

First time I played I sent Kawg SW to explore, a berserker ran out of the darkness and attacked him. Game over.

Same as previous scenarios, I think it could use some one line comments describing the chunks of WML.
Attachments
SoF-The_Dragon_replay.gz
(37.77 KiB) Downloaded 954 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

To complete without serious casualties- 9
To complete - 7

I thought they were clear, I liked the forging challenge.

Solid.

Surviving all the berserkers in the first few turns. I lost 2 lvl 3's and 3 lvl 2's in this one, it was ouchy.

I finished in round 24 with -126 gold.

8 - Cool, well-paced. I think I would have done better, but the bats were real unlucky against the enemy dwarves. They didn't even slow them down for a one turn.

The dragon only popped out once. I thought for sure I would have to battle the dragon once I got to the anvil.

My first time through I didn't seal off the bat cave. Oops. The second time I lined the bat cave until my rear guard could get around the corner.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, Normal

2.) 9

3.) I first didn't know in what direction I had to go, I chose the wrong and had to reload after one turn...

4.) Interesting. But what dwarves are fighting against me? I thought I killed this shorbear clan... Maybe the story should tell something about this!

5.) First I went with Tursagen and the gryphon in the wrong direction (towards the dwarves!). After I reloaded, I had to many slow troops and the dwarves got me. The third time I tried, I left some guardians in my keep and recalled only quick units. This strategy was easy.

6.) 7

7.) Maybe someone should say "let's go south" or something like that.

8.) Two times because the dwarves killed important units
sorry for my English...