Scenario Review: SoF 8 - The Dragon

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 8 - The Dragon

Post by Konrad2 »

devavrata wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 9:43 pm ...they wouldn't attack it! It was a level-2 unit, with almost enough experience as to upgrade to level-3, and so they wouldn't attack it and would be slowed down by its control zone.
That's one of the things that changed for 1.14.
Seto

Post by Seto »

Version 1.14.5.
Looking at this thread, I seem to be the only one, but I had trouble with the formulation of the objective ("move your heroes to the end of the tunnel" or something like that). Which I did. Without stopping on the forge. I couldn't figure out why the scenario wasn't ending, until I randomly moved one of my units on the forge.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.8, Lord (Difficult)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

2, sure, you'll have to sacrifice units, but you are very unlikely to lose in this scenario.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Keeping my calm despite the number of enemy Berserkers.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
SoF-The Dragon replay 20210321-163202.gz
(44.38 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Played difficulty steelclad (Challenge) with BfW 1.15.17

Need balancing, it's simply impossible; the right difficulty definition is Nightmare; to play to prove it, I stop here.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Argesilao2 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 6:33 am Played difficulty steelclad (Challenge) with BfW 1.15.17

Need balancing, it's simply impossible; the right difficulty definition is Nightmare; to play to prove it, I stop here.
Would you mind providing a scenario start file?

EDIT:
Preferably a replay as well.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

SoF-The Dragon.gz
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Konrad2 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 10:11 am Would you mind providing a scenario start file?

EDIT:
Preferably a replay as well.
Sorry, I haven't a replay because I never finished the scenario, I have the scenario start file only.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

I have to rectify my previous post; I tried a new approach (I no longer try to resist near the altar, but in an intermediate point of the cave).
The result is that the scenario is not too difficult, it is too easy. :oops:

SoF-The Dragon replay 20210910-143423.gz
(48.55 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Argesilao2 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 6:50 pm I have to rectify my previous post; I tried a new approach (I no longer try to resist near the altar, but in an intermediate point of the cave).
The result is that the scenario is not too difficult, it is too easy. :oops:

SoF-The Dragon replay 20210910-143423.gz
Additionally, a replay where the enemy is being held off near the altar.
Attachments
SoF-The Dragon replay 20210913-085604.gz
(48.11 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

When Thursagan steps on the keep near the Dragon, he says "step closer if you want to see my runework". Moving a unit beside him makes this rune animation overlay appear on the unit. Does this actually do anything or is this just flashy?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-04 215002.png
Screenshot 2021-10-04 215002.png (149.54 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

max_torch wrote: October 4th, 2021, 1:51 pm When Thursagan steps on the keep near the Dragon, he says "step closer if you want to see my runework". Moving a unit beside him makes this rune animation overlay appear on the unit. Does this actually do anything or is this just flashy?
You can rightclick the unit to 'buy' a rune to empower them for this scenario. Like in the first two scenarios, but this time Thursagan supplies the runes.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Konrad2 wrote: October 4th, 2021, 4:34 pm
max_torch wrote: October 4th, 2021, 1:51 pm When Thursagan steps on the keep near the Dragon, he says "step closer if you want to see my runework". Moving a unit beside him makes this rune animation overlay appear on the unit. Does this actually do anything or is this just flashy?
You can rightclick the unit to 'buy' a rune to empower them for this scenario. Like in the first two scenarios, but this time Thursagan supplies the runes.
This is available in all scenarios with Thursagan? Wow, this was not made clear that this was how this mechanic worked at all. The dialog said Thursagan was going to provide rune powers, but nowhere was it explained how exactly. Thank you.

Tried to do it just now and I still cant get it to work. I dont see an option to buy runes in the right click context menu when right clicking on the unit. see screenshot.

@Konrad2, could you screenshot how it's supposed to look like?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-05 040846.png
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

max_torch wrote: October 4th, 2021, 8:06 pm
This is available in all scenarios with Thursagan? Wow, this was not made clear that this was how this mechanic worked at all. The dialog said Thursagan was going to provide rune powers, but nowhere was it explained how exactly. Thank you.

Tried to do it just now and I still cant get it to work. I dont see an option to buy runes in the right click context menu when right clicking on the unit. see screenshot.

@Konrad2, could you screenshot how it's supposed to look like?
Okay, I remembered incorrectly. You don't rightclick them, you just select the unit, with a left click. And then this interface should pop up:
runes.png
Would you mind providing a save file if it doesn't work at all?
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Tested and it works. There is absolutely no way to clearly understand that this is how the interface for this campaign mechanic works with what exists so far in the campaign text AFAIK. In fact, if I did not stumble upon it and suspect I was missing something, I would have never discovered this.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Version: 1.16.5 Level: Steelclad (Challenging)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Doing it wrong: 11 Doing it right: 5

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives
The objectives were clear, however I initially thought I had to fight my way through the elfes :-).

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear yes, interesting medium.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I first fought the elfes and the berserkers killed some important units.
Then I made a stand in the castle, retreating just ever so slightly and reduced the elfes to almost nothing
before arriving at the dragon. From there on it was very easy. I was even able to walk back upstream
with 5 units while the others were at the forge. Had I kept most of them at the dragon I would have been
able to reach the elfes castle before the end. Although maybe the algorithm balances the elf creation
with the success of the player against them to prevent that.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6 maybe ? The berserkers are the main problem since it is no fun to loose a unit you have leveled up
over a long time. But by retreating slowly they emerge in front as they are faster than most other units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Allow the eagles to steal gold or magic books from the dragon. Currently you can land an eagle on a
heap of gold but then nothing happens. Also the whole campaign lacks a healing units imho.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
If we exclude my tactical mistake no, everything worked perfectly. Thank you!