Scenario Review: SoF 7 - Outriding the Outriders

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 7 - Outriding the Outriders

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Grumpy

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 7 - Outriding the Outriders

Post by Grumpy »

1) Normal / 1.4-1
2) 3/10
3) I was at first little confused about "having peasants help me"... But figured it out after looking at a house 1 sec later. lol
7) Instead of giving lvl 1 units, I think it should really give peasants. At the lvl I played, it was rather too easy to kill off the elves. Some difficulty to kill it with only like <4 junk units dead.
8) First time I played, I actually killed off all the elvish outriders... :twisted: Got few units into lvl 2. But, I guess I visited too many houses and slowed down too much in the end... So, I got to the goal 1 turn short. It was visible too!! 2nd time, Went more "straight" and finished with ease...
Rest) No/NA/No Comment.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

2. The first couple stops made with Alanin were a bit close, but after that I had so many troops from the villages that I leveled 2 spearman and killed all the riders. So half of the map was spent just moving Alanin.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Minimal at first, but good interaction at the end.

None really.

6. Given solely because the concept is nice, but the route should potentially be more windy?

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the route appear more down out of the mountains, windy and with shortcuts that mean less villages, or potentially not taking it and getting cut off by the AI.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me. Nice spawn events.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rykus

Post by rykus »

Medium

3 - Not very hard, but was very well paced

Very

Good enough. Maybe a little dialogue as the chase went would be cool, but I don't know.

None really, I had just enough "peasants" to use as speedbumps. But I'm also VERY unlucky, so most of them rarely if ever hit before they were taken down. But they kept the outriders just behind me, which was very cool. I even managed to level one up almost twice.

8 - not much going on, but it was fun to run away from the elves and throw out troops I didn't care about to slow them down recklessly.

None really. Maybe something hidden off the path that you could get, but might take too many turns to get to and back, or might put you at risk of having the elves kill you.

First time through I stopped at the closest house, and the elves cut through the peasants and wounded Alanin. Then at the second house they cut me down and the troops (like I said - I'm very unlucky)

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
Strikur

Post by Strikur »

(1) 1.4.4 or 1.4.6 (not sure) Medium

(2) 3, Not hard at all. Grab houses till you get a lead then run the rest of the way.

(3) Clear enough. Run away and don't die :P.

(4) Nothing really exciting/unexpected happens story wise, It's the story of Alanin escaping, and he... ESCAPES :shock: .

(5) None.

(6) 6. It was fun for the first couple houses, but then it felt like it was dragging on because there was no way they could catch me with the lead I had... and I was barely halfway across the map.

(7) Dunno.

(8) Nope.

(9) No Comment.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

1.6.4, medium difficulty. Challenge 1 on 1-10 scale, ditto fun factor. Sorry.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 3
(3) crystal.
(4) nice idea, I only expectet my helpers to really be peasants.
(5) Time. In the middle of the map, I killed all the elves using also Alanin to gain XP. So there was no threat for him left and therefore no more need to hurry. But, well, I was 2-3 turns to late in the end and lost. Second problem is badluck: if two outriders could attack Alanin and both hit all three shots, he is dead. :(
(6) 7
(7) The situation of having killed all the elves in the middle of the map and losing because of timeout should be made impossible, maybe by adding a slower moving big elvish army. Other solution would be less villages and no time limit. Or simply winning the scenario by killing all elvish outriders.
Additionally it would be nice to know in the beginning where exactly you have to go.
(8) s. 5
(9) N/A
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

1 – compared to the previous one this scenario was a walk in the park

Clear.

Fine.

Keeping myself from getting reckless with the limited troops I had available.

No changes.

No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
7 - surprisingly difficult, somewhat luck based is that if your guards are wiped, you're dead horsemeat.
Clear the shroud to show the keep? Missed it the first time and reached the southern border. Restarted.
Why do the elves care so much about a sigle messenger? And why do Wesnothians live north of the Great River?
Placing units properly to defend against the outriders.
4 - more frustrating than fun.
Have Alanin start a little farther so you don't get wiped the first turn if the AI gets lucky.
A number of times when I got shot to pieces.
Didn't check.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4

It's not clear why you can't win by killing all the Outriders. And it's not clear where to go. I had killed all the Outriders and then was running around searching for the fort, and fell one turn short. Should that really be a loss? If so, why?!

Okay, but these "peasants" sure are armed to the teeth.

I had to learn the hard way that if three Outriders get next to your hero, he's toast.

Killing all Outriders should be a victory. Peasants should pop out of villages, not Spearmen and Bowmen. Maybe 4 peasants per village.

Yes, see #3 and #5.
Attachments
SoF-Outriding_the_Outriders_replay.gz
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 1632 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard

It wasn't clear where the southern fort was but I managed to find it without issue (just lucky?)

The peasants are rather hardened troops for peasants. I didn't realized I had control of them so I didn't attack with them, if I had I think they could have defeated the outriders.

None.

4, neat idea but nothing past that.

Have the objective be to actually defeat the elves instead of just run? So Alanin has to run around "recruiting" peasants and then you have to organize them and beat the elves. First few villages would be fodder to slow the elves down and then have a cluster of villages so an organized force can be put together.

No.

Same comment as before, I think each event block could use a one sentence description.
Attachments
SoF-Outriding_the_Outriders_replay.gz
(17.73 KiB) Downloaded 974 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

4 - My first attempt went toward the NW house. Then I realized to run faster. I actually ended up killing all the elves and leveling an archer and a javelineer.

Run away fast!

Solid.

Learning to run to the furthest village first turn.

I finished in round 11/12 with 70 gold.

8 - Kind of different. Fun.

Good as is.

Going to the wrong village at the start.
klein_atuin

Post by klein_atuin »

(1) normal, 1.80
(2) 10 with bad luck: about 5 starts + single replays and every time got killed before round 5 - even with various ways of blocking or attacking
(3) clear
(5) A lucky AI leaves you no chance at all, if it kills the first villagers without loss the scenario is almost lost
(6) like it is now: 1
(7) reduce that 'luck-factor'. maybe if not all six avantgardists come within attacking range from the start it might matter a little more, how the player acts. like this it's pure dice rolling.
(8) as above

played several versions of this campaign before on normal or hard and never had serious problems with this scenario. don't exactly remember what's been different, but is there a random factor at prestart, maybe how many quick enemies appear or even which villagers? that might be a bad idea if so.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, normal

2.) 3

3.) clear

4.) Nothing exciting happened...

5.) None

6.) 4

7.) It's okay

8.) no
sorry for my English...