Scenario Review: SoF 7 - Outriding the Outriders

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 7 - Outriding the Outriders

Post by taptap »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Dwarf Lord (Difficult), 1.9.9

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

3 - although I had to restart from begin once when I thought it is a bright idea to drop the third village to ride some more hexes :)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Pretty clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Better than the other scenarios. Quite good actually.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Not omitting the third village, ZOC exercise.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Make the outriders less suicidal, they attack with melee against spearmen for getting 7-4 instead of 8-3. Make them run around your units where suitable, that way they will gain more speed than through their recklessness, they also will last longer.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Omitting the third village to "run faster" :)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
alluton

Post by alluton »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
difficulty level was medium(i dont remember its name but the middle one) wesnoth version:1.9.13
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear and rather interesting.
There were no challenges,mostly because Alanin had 92/95 exp so elven outriders didnt attakc on him :P
8,because those loyal spearman and archers managed to damage many elven outriders really bad.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Some code that tells elven outriders to attack alanin even if he have 95/98 exp.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
befeleme

Post by befeleme »

klein_atuin wrote: (2) 10 with bad luck: about 5 starts + single replays and every time got killed before round 5 - even with various ways of blocking or attacking

played several versions of this campaign before on normal or hard and never had serious problems with this scenario. don't exactly remember what's been different, but is there a random factor at prestart, maybe how many quick enemies appear or even which villagers? that might be a bad idea if so.
I have a similar experience. I think the crucial thing is to have Alanin at level 3, or reach it approx. before turn 4. Otherwise (I believe) you have no chance.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Afair there is a village very close to you, while you can reach the second village already. Go to the second one. Always use ZOC to keep the enemy away from Alanin without killing your "peasants", don't attack with them in the beginning use them for ZOC only. And keep running and triggering your reinforcements.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Steelclad (Challenging), 1.10.0 - 40 Starting Gold.

It's not clear where the outpost is.

Okay, but that's probably because there's not much of it :P

None.

7. Scenarios where you're not concerned about so many units are fun!

The peasants aren't really 'peasants'. Maybe changing them to thugs and poachers would help? I know thugs don't have a pierce weapon like the spearman, which might cause a balance issue, but poachers are similar enough to bowmen. Though if this were done it might be a good idea to change the starting time of day since the units would be chaotic. I say this because I was taking advantage of the time of day at key points in this scenario.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Okay.
Attachments
SoF-Outriding_the_Outriders_replay.gz
(18.87 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? — 1.11.13 Lord (most difficult)
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) — 4/5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? — Quite clear, although I found myself searching for a signpost rather than a Keep at the southern end.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? — Okay.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? — Staying alive.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) — 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? — I would 'enlarge' it a bit by allowing villagers to activate other villages, and adding additional Outriders, maybe 3 and 6 turns after the initial Outrider reinforcement arrives (so, turns 5 and 8?).
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? — Yes, I lost Allanin around turn 7 on my first runthrough.

Again, I want to compliment the Walkthrough for this scenario. The first time through the Elves did 24% more damage than predicted, and I inflicted 6% less than predicted. On the second run we each finished at -12%, so that was okay. On the second run I killed all of the Outriders by the end of turn 8 or 9, but the game still took until turn 12, because I couldn't find the outpost. (As mentioned above, I was looking for a signpost, not a keep.)

On the second run I took the Walkthrough's admonition not to attack with units within one blow of dying as a mandate to attack when my units were more than one solid blow away from death, and it worked like a charm.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

Clear. But there should be a note about the goal to reach being a fort and not, what I thought, a signal post.

I expected some Peasants and not Spearmen and Bowmen ;) .

The major challenge was to choose the right path to go. You have to skip some villages but you also have to get to some villages or the followers will catch up and easily kill you.

Either change the Spearmen and Bowmen to Peasants and let 4-5 of them pop out of a village or change something in the dialogue. Maybe there are just soldiers on holiday :D .

Several. It came down to choosing the right path and positioning the "peasants" the right way.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard (Lord), 1.12.4
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 9 for the first couple turns, 1 for the rest
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Surviving the first couple turns. My Alanin was only level 2 - personally I don't think it is worth it to level him to 3 just for the sake of this scenario as the experience ends up wasted.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 7. It's a nice, extremely tense start but once you get about halfway across the map it becomes boring (I never even saw the outriders again)
(7) Changes? Once you get past the first few turns it becomes trivial - the outriders become so distracted with the loyalists they never come close to reaching. Maybe add some obstacle further down the map.
(8) Restarts? None.
Attachments
(37.41 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

Difficult (Lord), Wesnoth 1.12.4

Clear

It's ok

Nothing. Just move alanin south and attack with loyalists during the day. Or you can forget attacking and just leave the loyalists around as distractions, nothing happens if you kill the enemies.

Dunno.

No
I replayed the scenario because I got a halberier the first time and that's pretty unlikely.
Attachments
(37.39 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
SoF-Outriding_the_Outriders_replay_featuring_halberdier.gz
(36.44 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Version 1.13.11, "Challenging"

Clear

Great

Only the first two turns were difficult, after that I easily accumulated enough soldiers to beat the outriders

8 - Short and unique. Too easy, but I wasn't on the hardest difficulty after all

See below

The first time I loaded, for some reason I couldn't move onto the villages, it was like they were impassable terrain somehow. Restarted wesnoth and the scenario, and it worked fine.
Also, moving onto the fort's keep doesn't trigger victory, I had to undo and move onto the normal castle part. Presumably the terrain used to be Ke (is now Ket) and the event filter wasn't updated.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.4, Hard

Clear.

Big like.

Throwing the first soldiers somewhat to the north so they'd buy enough time.

8. Unique and interesting.

Make defeating all chasing outriders an alternative scenario objective.

I killed the outriders in the first try and didn't haveenough time left to get to the Outpost. (bad positioning)
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear, RUN FOR IT!!

- It seems good, but there could be some more. Just saying. Also, if you manage to turn Alanin from dragoon to cavalier, the same message pops out:
"I'm a dragoon, with Haldric II's personal bodyguard. I was sent on a mission in the northlands, and now elvish horsemen are chasing me. I barely evaded them."

- Making a run for it. Also, one question, for the moderators of this game - when I managed to get rid of most of elvish outriders at around turn 7 or 8, suddenly, just out of nowhere, more spawned.

- One, if Alanin is cavalier, then that small change I stated out above. Two, when most of elvish outriders are killed, how about adding the line saying: "We won't reach the rider in time. Call in for more reinforcements!"

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: March 11th, 2008, 11:24 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 Hard
3. You can actually defeat the enemies - yes, this is another of those "Run, you are overwhelmed" scenarios where you can overwhelm them - but you won't win the scenario unless you reach the destination.
Clear
Clear, not so much interesting.
Finding the destination in the middle of the mist.
It is fine as it is.
No.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 8 - Outriding the Outriders

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.8, Lord (Difficult)

4, the first two waves of reinforcements have to be optimal to be really safe.

Crystal.

Clear.

Walking the right way, figuring out how to place my first two waves of allies to protect me.

6, another nice cutscenelike scenario.

-

Scenario stats:
Not going to bother with the dumb fails. Only the success.
Spoiler:
Attachments
SoF-Outriding the Outriders replay 20210318-191823.gz
(26.29 KiB) Downloaded 196 times