Scenario Review: SoF 4 - Gathering Materials

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Benefuchs

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 4 - Gathering Materials

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 8-9
(3) At first, I didn't realize I had to recruit miners... But generally it's clear.
(4) Looking for gold and coal was a nice idea, although it's not obvious why you should need exactly that coal. Looking for special jewels would make more sense.
(5) time, as said before. Plus unlucky layout of the map: It makes a big difference if two of the enemies really battle - and maybe kill - each other or if rather two of them attack you while the third is delayed because of water, which will delay you later looking for the gold. Number and position of villages also is really important.
(6) 5-6. Good idea, but to difficult and to much depending on luck.
(7) more time. And it would be nice if there were more items than you have to get.
(8) See 5. Five turns before the limit, I found out I wouldn't make it in time.
(9) N/A
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Shouldn't "kill all enemies" be an automatic win?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Yes, since the map is random, I think 'kill all enemies' should be a win. It would also be more interesting than watching the miners transport the material
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2 – the easiest scenario in the campaign (or maybe I just got lucky with my attacks)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I was unsure how, exactly, to find the materials I need. It became clear once I saw something near the SE keep and figured that “something” is the first load of coal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not particularly interesting, but hey – it’s mostly a mining operation, and that’s not the most exciting thing in the world. Still, it was nice to have a different goal for a change.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Locating the materials. Nothing else, because the Ogres and Goblins were kind enough to kill each other for me. :)

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No changes.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Einherjar

Post by Einherjar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Fighter (normal), Wesnoth 1.8.2.

Quite clear. I was uncertain how the coal/gold were to be mined, though. Like, how many miners should I bring? Once I found the first lump, it became clear, and I also quickly realised I had to return it to the starting point.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I liked the concept. The dialogue was sufficient, I mean, how exciting can one make dialogues about mining coal? :P

No major. Minor turbulence in the beginning about how to pull off the mining.

6. I had way too much gold through the game, and especially towards the endgame (village eldorado in the enemies' camps). Think this scenario has potential though, and that I would enjoy it more on a higher difficulty setting.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Reduce village count. Maybe piff up the dialogue a bit by having the party interact with some troll leader, who is grumpy because the dwarves are coming for his gold?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
3 - Was worried at first, but the Runecrafters saved my butt. With well placed units I was able to wipe out the enemy forces with just a handful of units. I had one miner, btw. Finished something like turn 24.
Clear.
Interesting for a change.
Holding ground with just 2/3 units against hordes of trolls/goblins/ogres.
6 - nice scenario with its challenges.
Good as is.
Nope, though a couple times close.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't check.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 169 starting gold

9-10, depending on the random map.

Okay. I didn't pay attention and didn't recruit a miner the first time.

A little better than previous scenarios in this campaign.

The random map is cool, but sometimes there will be no villages in the starting area, no villages in the initial corridor, and no villages in the area where the corridors meet, like so:
SoF-Gathering_Materials_replay__no_villages.gz
(28.8 KiB) Downloaded 1053 times
When this happens, I dare say it becomes virtually impossible to win.

4. I don't enjoy playing scenarios over and over, unless good strategy is the key.

Guarantee a couple of villages in the starting area and one in the initial corridor. Add at least one turn on hard.

Yes, I lost a zillion times, reloading from start. Mostly time was the problem. I finally won, with no turns, and no hexes, to spare. Replay below.
Attachments
SoF-Gathering_Materials_replay.gz
(41.36 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 184 starting gold

4, as long as you figure out to stay out of the big fight, which I did, and recruit enough miners, which I didn't.

The first time I played, I didn't see the coal for what it was until I saw the gold and then knew what to look for.

Certainly enough of it.

Time, see 8.

8. Well above average. The Big Fight is great and the material gathering is novel. The fact there is a good deal of randomness to the map is cool too.

Make the coal a little more clear (a signpost perhaps).

First time I ran out of time for three reasons: (1) I only recruited 2 miners, (2) I spent too much time fighting and then (3) I didn't understand what the coal looked like. A 3rd miner would have let me win. Recognizing the coal, maybe.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

The details are well documented. I would like a paragraph giving the big picture - e.g. there is a room NE with a Troll and gold, and a room SE with a troll and coal, etc.
Attachments
(30.91 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

7 - Only because of the time constraints. I took my time and protected my units; I didn't lose a single unit, but I finished on the very last turn.

Find the loot.

I don't remember much dialogue for this one.

I finished on the very last turn of the scenario. I only recruited two miners, and I didn't split my army until the end (I went NW and around first, then SE).

I finished in round 37/37 with 310 gold and will carry 124 gold over to the next level. I think, given the 24 gold per turn bonus, that this might be low--I might have to replay this board and move faster.

8 - Very balanced and fun.

Good as is.

Not that I remember.
oncewerebiscuitmen

Post by oncewerebiscuitmen »

As I just recalled units at the start rather than recruiting I did not twig the miners existed when I played this though the first time.

Maybe giving a one free miner at the start or making the requirement to recruit miners more explicit would avoid this?
micdy

Post by micdy »

Medium
Not so clear, i did not notice that i had to recruit miners, the scenario objective dont tell much what to do. so i have kill everything and now what i do, gather material? yes, but how... i come on the forum to find the info and find out.. Then i had to restart from the begining
Since i had recruit no troops (only recall) i had not notice the miners

there is not much dialog

None, except find out that i can recruit miners

would be fun if you put a way for people to know what to do before the end or without the need to go on the web to find the clue

instruction more clear

already stated

dont know wml
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6. Normal

2.) 7

3.) Clear

4.) Clear

5.) I needed some time to find the gold...

6.) 6

7.) It is okay.

8.) No
sorry for my English...
taptap

Post by taptap »

Dwarf lord, 1.9.9

Not so hard. 5 maybe (but not for the actual resistence you meet, just for understanding that your objective isn't killing).

Killing all enemies should result in automatic loss for misunderstanding the objectives. Ever since "Infested Caves" when I see some enemies fighting I am happy to watch and just follow my plan. Loosely shielding your main group with high level units (stalwarts, ironclads) on good terrain or villages while leaving enough space for the enemies to meet each other will lead to them fighting each other and rarely you. Even in the end, when there was a lone troll warrior (goblin leader) on his castle I could just bypass him (ZOC with stalwarts). Don't display weak units or you will attract attacks. I finished the level with only one enemy leader killed (to keep my rear unharassed when proceeding to the second one and to have some villages to heal). Recruited 3 miners.

Maybe it would be more fun, if the mining takes a little longer, say two turns with the miner on the resource instead of instant mining (maybe add this to the turn limit) so that you have to defend the miners a little longer.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Steelclad (Challenging), 1.10.0 - 151 Starting Gold.

8. I ended with only two turns to spare.

Clear.

It's okay.

Getting pinned up in the north-west area and then fighting through the blue trolls with what little forces I had. And the lack of villages was definitely the cause of these troubles.

Nothing comes to mind.

No. But again, almost.

Fine.
Attachments
(35.83 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
jdr90000

Post by jdr90000 »

The scenario is broken in 1.11.1 - the scenario quits out and goes to the end screen after SoF 4 - Gathering Materials.