Scenario Review: SoF 3 - Searching for the Runecrafter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 3 - Searching for the Runecrafter

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Fosprey

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 3 - Searching for the Runecrafter

Post by Fosprey »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Highest
Ok i will ignore the fact there isn't a timer, so trying to think how it would be with a timer----- 5
Well i thought that once you get to the house it would be over, and i didn't have clear who should reach it. I tried with my leader and was sucessfull, don't know of others can't . But i didn't imagine that i would be asked to bring back to castle and not giving extra turns. I saw i had 24 turns to complete the objectives, and i dealyed so i could get most XP, suddenly on turn 23 i came in, and i'm giving a new objective, but not more turns. It was really frustrating.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Compared to the two previous level very poor. come on! , 1 year?, i don't buy it. The map seems too "fixed" and to generic also.
Killing the wooses, but, i don't have anything good to kill them, and since the previus scenarios didn't require a lot of use of dwarven infantry, i didn't have any on level 2, so basically i killed them with pierce damage and help of infantry and gryphon, but it was really hard.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't know, i would change a little the story, and would try to give a good reason why suddenly all the creatures of the forest came into rush to kill your army, they don't seem to like to kill the runmester or the village, but it seems your army gives them bloodlust.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, i lost the first try because, well i didn't knew i would be given another objective but not more turns.
ALX23

Post by ALX23 »

(1) Hard 1.4.something
(2) It was average 5 I didn't really had to think much - but I didn't have any woses back then. (anyway what is the problem with woses!? - dwarves are good with axes :mrgreen: )
(3) It was quite clear
(4) It was fine, or rather good with the smart gryphon :D
(5) Not letting anyone die - but I don't remember for sure
(6) 7
(7) Well, I don't know but the Runemaster didn't upgrade into the Arcanister - I found it disappointing.

well in the next "scenario" (interlude) thursgan said a very strange thing...

Code: Select all

[message]
            speaker=Thursagan
            message= _ "Ha! _You_ don't trust _me_?"
        [/message]
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

4. Getting to the house in time is not too bad (Used Alanin), but the time limit and the number of enemies meant that I had to manage to hold the towers long enough to get the runemaster back inside.

Crystal. Though a hint on you having to bring him back to your castle would not be amiss.

It was interesting, and to the point, but again, it could be a little clearer on what you are supposed to do with the bugger when you find him.

Time, but not really, more like having to have a good idea of where he is (Gryphon is great for this, but cannot get him to leave his house) in order to get to him and get back on time.

6. Good stuff, and I like the various groups of enemies, but a large part of the map goes unexplored and unused since basically the dwarves fight a holding action while one of them goes to get his royal craftiness.

Centralize the keep? And possibly randomize his house, while giving the player maybe a handful more turns, in order to make it a proper searching scenario.

Nope, I already knew where the bugger was hiding.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Pretty good, I moved his house around to different places on the map and it does alter the way you play quite a bit.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Strikur

Post by Strikur »

(1) 1.4.4 or 1.4.6 (not sure) Medium

(2) 5, I didn't find his house till over halfway through turns, and by that point my guys were spread out all over the map looking for it, and a couple of them suffered cheap deaths from enemies appearing nearby. Still, whats-his-name managed to walk home just fine, more or less by himself, with 1 turn to spare :).

(3) Goals were clear, but it would have been nice to have some general idea of where whats-his-name's house was, or that you would have to get him back inside the mountain afterwards.

(4) The dialog was good... until the gryphon talked... It's one of those speech styles where you either love or hate it, and I fell in the latter group.

After giving it more thought... Some of the hard sounds had duplicate letters, like krawgg. It doesn't make sense that someone would (or even could) exaggerate that "g" sound at the end. There was also some inconsistency in his speech, like he said "ills" instead of "kills", but in the rest of his dialog, he seemed to prefer using "k" sounds instead of other sounds.

(5) Finding his house. Avoiding cheap deaths from randomly spawning trolls.

(6) 7, pretty fun. The enemies were somewhat hard, and I liked getting a REAL gryphon. It's a nice change of pace from those scenarios where you see those gryphons with 3 attacks, but you don't ever get to use them.

(7) I would improve the gryphons dialog.

(8) I did lose a few guys cheaply, one was almost level 2, another was level 2, but it wasn't enough to make me restart, and I didn't feel like reloading to get them back.

(9) Commenting was minimal, some things recieved one line comments, while others didn't. The WML itself was good though. Some interesting stuff here.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

3 – those Ogres and Woses could be quite annoying at times, but nothing more.

Clear.

It was fine.

Getting Thursagan back on time.

No changes.

No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
4 - Trolls and Ogres are no match for my Steelclads and Woses to my pathfinders.
Didn't realize I would have to bring him back!
It was here I realized, if Alanin Is a hero character, then why does he have a loyal marker?
Keeping the turn limit.
6 - Different than the previous.
Tell me that I'll have to bring him back in the beginning, so don't dawdle.
Nope. Got him in turn 20/20.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't check.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4

4. Somebody could have died. But didn't.

Clear. Maybe indicate to the player that you added 10 turns when the objectives changed.

Sorry, I don't like the dialog in this campaign. Childish dialog makes the game seem childish.

Teleporting wolves. I hate teleporting wolves. They're a pet peeve of mine. Can't you have them run in, like any self-respecting wolves would? Are they supposed to be popping out of the snow to ambush you?

Something needs to be done to make the enemies come in groups of three or so. Single enemies are just way too easy.

No.
Attachments
SoF-Searching_for_the_Run..._replay.gz
(20.77 KiB) Downloaded 1574 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 156 starting gold

4, a good fight but nothing overwhelming.

Find smith, get smith back to signpost.

Fine.

Nothing major, just handling the two waves of bad guys. Second wave was a little harder since I was spread out.

Nothing comes to mind.

I almost got Rugnur killed on first turn of combat...

Looks fine.
Attachments
SoF-Searching_for_the_Ru..._replay.gz
(21.96 KiB) Downloaded 923 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

7 - Not too bad, but it takes skill and patience (and, of course, a bit of luck). I lost the 2 fighter/meat shields I recruited, and a high XP level one scout. But I also leveled 3 scouts to lvl 2, a gunner to lvl 2, the griffin rider to lvl 2, and my hero to lvl 2.

Find the loon.

The dialogue for this campaign is a bit stilted (I won't make a scepter, of course I'll make a scepter). But the story makes sense, and if I wanted to read an epic I wouldn't be playing a game.

I lost my griffin twice to poor positioning.

I finished in round 25/30 with 112 gold and will carry 64 gold over to the next level.

8 - Again, I like "protect this house" style scenarios, so this one was fun.

Good as is.

Yeah, lost my griffin.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, normal

2.) 7

3.) I was a bit of confiused, when someone said there would be only one house and I could already see three! I first looked at these, until I looked for another house...

4.) Interesting. Especially the story before (In the Dwarven City) was quite funny.

5.) I found Tursagen with Alanin, but he got into trouble, when he tried to come back and met some trolls.

6.) 5 When I had found Tursagen, bringing him back wasn't interesting anymore

7.) I don't know.

8.) I did one time, because one of my level 2 troops died
sorry for my English...
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Steelclad (Challenging), 1.10.0 - 160 Starting Gold.

6. It was pretty difficult at first but I can't call it a 7 since it got real easy at the end.

"Convince Thursagan to come with you" doesn't need to be there.

Again I say immature and childish, especially Krawg. The whole idea of a talking gryphon is just plain stupid if you ask me.

I found a bug too: Krawg says "I see a house in the distance!". It should check to see if a dwarf is the unit who sights the house so it can display a different message if it's Krawg.

At first, I was stuck within the circle of villages and castles, which proved to be a decent challenge. Then one of my level 2 Thunderers almost got killed by a troll on the way back from Thursagan's house.

Turuk's suggestion about making the house's location randomly generated sounds nice.

Almost, but not quite.

Looks alright.
Attachments
(21.17 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

4. Somebody could have died. But didn't.

Clear. But you could inform the player that there will be 10 turns added, when you find Thursagan. I nearly restarted because I was at turn 12 and it took the runesmith 10 turns to get back. But then I realized, 10 turns werde added.

It's ok. Thursagan sounds like the old weird guy he seems to be.

Getting to Thursagan in time. I first went there with my gryphon only to realize that I had to head there with a dwarf. Luckily, time was still on my side.

7 - It's ok and good in order to level up some units.

Let the enemies come from all sides together. Singled out enemies are no problem at all.

No.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

normal, 1.13.1+dev

I knew about the turn limit extension before-hand, so that wasn't the surprise it could have been.

The dialog starts with the characters standing in the midst of a group of houses, saying Thursagan is the only person crazy enough to have a house here. Then the gryphon shows up, and its dialog is not exactly clear. I guess that part could make sense, but the gryphon rider that comes from nowhere doesn't.
When the runecrafter was found, he didn't seem to need much convincing to join the project.

The scenario design seemed like a fine idea. The dialog was not so strong. In the following cut-scene, Thursagan calling upon those two "runecrafters-in-training" did not make any sense to me.

None. Finding Thursagan would have been much more difficult without gryphons.

The game-play itself was fine, but the dialog detracted from it a bit.

No.

It looked OK.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard (Lord), 1.12.4, 150 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 7, moderately difficult.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Krawg's dialog is pretty annoying. Can't he just speak normally? I can barely understand it.
(5) Challenges? Woses during daytime, trolls and ogres anytime.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? Seems fine.
(8) Restarts? One to beginning (lost a bunch of units)

Finished turn 18/30
Attachments
(30.47 KiB) Downloaded 680 times