Scenario Review: SoF 2 - Closing the Gates

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SoF 2 - Closing the Gates

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Fosprey

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 2 - Closing the Gates

Post by Fosprey »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
The highest
7 If you consider the fact that you don't have a way to know the door will kill your hero and ignore the fact that there isn't a timer, 2 if you don't consider that, and don't ignore that fact.
Well, besides the fact that's not clear that if your hero is in the gates (and the gates are not defined) you will just be casted defeat, everthing else is clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I really like it.
MM, i didn't had problems except for the door.
5, But that has to do with the fact that the lack of timer made the scenario to easy for my taste, i otherwise, i really like the scenario and i would give it an 8.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add a timer so you don't have 15 minutes to think every move and so making it so easy and uninteresting.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
YES! THE F***** DOOR!
vittorioveneto

Post by vittorioveneto »

1) The Simplest
2) 4. The Trolls were easy and the elves not very agressive and not even very tactical
3) Clear enough
4) It was interesting
5) Mainly the fact that the doors closed killing all of my soldiers including my hero (except troll hunters)
6) 8
7) I was only surprized by the fact that the Dwarf Guardian claimed that "The Trolls have conquered the glyphs" or something like it. And the dwarves cannot overcome six troll babies?
8) My hero was closed outside.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Hardest) 1.4.6

8. Timer made for tight turns, really had to push killing off the trolls, and trying to switch out units to deal with trolls and elves proved to be interesting.

Crystal, though maybe a hint on where the door will actually close would be nice.

Good, conveys the message and sets the scene for the next scenario (Alanin being sent ahead).

Trying to kill the trolls off fast enough to reach the glyphs in time. Thunderers can sometimes be handy in a pinch. When they hit.

8. Frustrating, aggravating, and quick, but the concept is great and especially having to push to get to the glyphs.

A few more dwarves, maybe have it that the door will not close if the elves are in the way? So you have to push them out, though they never made it that far in on me.

You get one guess. The door. Despite playing this campaign a number of times, I always forget it closes further back.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good stuff, I like the coding for the door.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Strikur

Post by Strikur »

(1) 1.4.4 or 1.4.6 (not sure) Medium

(2) 5. Killing the trolls was somewhat hard, but the elves were easy, I went out and killed their leader.

(3) Objective is clear, hit the glyphs, door closes. Simple.

(4) I honestly wasn't paying that much attention to the dialog, but at least there weren't any huge problems that grabbed my attention.

(5)
1. Hitting the trolls.
2. Getting back in-doors, after killing the elves, before time ran out.

(6) 6, It was a bit too easy (maybe playing on hard would solve this), and it irked me a bit that I killed all the elves but lost because of time limit.

(7) Made the elves harder/get a bunch of reinforcments to give me a reason to close the gates instead of going out and killing them all. It's kind of weird that I'm supposed to be "hiding" from the elves, but they aren't even strong enough to stop me from killing them when half my guys are busy on troll/glyph duty.

(8) Yup, that shoopid door :P, Locked myself out, so I did.

(9) This one has some fun WML stuff in it.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 4
(3) clear, now the door is indicated in the beginning
(4) clear and nice. But didn't I kill that elf? :roll:
(5) no real problems, as the front guards can be rotated to villages in one turn.
(6) 7, nice idea.
(7) elves could be attacking harder.
(8) no.
(9) N/A
Krause

Post by Krause »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.8.
Not very. The glyphs have to be reached fast, though, unless one wants elves invading the caverns. 5 is sufficient. It could actually be a bit more challenging even on hard...
Very. One could make it a bit more clear that the doors will destroy units in their path.
It's a fun scenario; whereas not very challenging, it adds value to the main story, and is fun to play.
Deciding which troops to send where. Not bad, though.
Kinda. :) I'll go with 8.
Perhaps using the rest of the map a bit more, like traveling a bit further inside the caverns, and finding an artifact or the garrison weaponry for extra stuff, if you can spare the units.
No.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Steelclad (Challenging)

2 – seems difficult at first because the enemies are level 2, but it is easy to keep them out with 2-3 well-positioned Dwarvish Guardsmen – and you start with 2 such units outside the doors…

Clear.

Clear.

No challenges.

Maybe make it more clear that any units outside will die when the gates close. Apart from that – no changes.

No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.4
3 - Not difficult.
Clear.
I had killed the leader in the first scenario and now he came back?? Not much sense.
None. The AI put shamans in the front. Sure, slow my guardsmen. I don't care. You're keeping all your heroes in the back.
4 - Nothing particularly special.
Possibly set up two small Troll keeps in the north and south? So you don't dawdle sound the opening of the cave.
Nope.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't check.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4

Semi-clear. As usual, leader assassination is an option, but it was not mentioned. I wasn't sure if I needed to stand on all the glyphs simultaneously or not.

I'm sorry, but I hate the dialog in this campaign so far. It has grammatical mistakes, it's excessively wordy, and it's uninteresting.

Fighting all over the place at once is the main challenge. The Heroes and Rangers of the Elves picked off two of my Pathfinders and a lot of level 1's. I came up one hex short on the last turn to reach the last glyph, so I had to use my backup plan: assassinate the leader.

Just shorten the dialog.

No.
Attachments
SoF-Closing_the_Gates_replay.gz
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 288 starting gold

4. Mainly just having to focus on three fronts. Holding against the elves was the most challenging, but guardsmen with good terrain have no real problems if you rotate them every turn.

Clear, though I could have used a warning to make sure my units were inside when the door closed.

OK.

Not getting crushed by the door.

Frustrating Balgur gives his warning about dwarves being on the outside of the door dying once there is nothing you can do about. How about having him give that line after you take the 5th glyph?

I closed the door on someone important.

Looks fine.
Attachments
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 913 times
dahlia

Post by dahlia »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, hard

2. I beat it almost without a fight with the following strategy:
I sent most of the guardsmen outside to run in through the side entrances, except for the left rear guardsman who I planted at the village by the left main glyph.
I grabbed the right main glyph with Baglur after recruiting a couple of scouts.
The trolls all came pouring into the middle, to fight the elves, allowing the guardsmen to grab three of the four side glyphs without a fight (it helped that I knew about the doors closing; otherwise the first guardsman would have grabbed the glyph and locked the second one out).
The scouts ran past the fighting in the center to grab the last glyph. (I lost one of them in the process.)
My intention had been to then recruit a keep of fighters and retrieve all the glyph-guardsmen to wipe out the inside elves, but the scenario ended at that point.

Not very. Or, rather, they were clear but misleading... the scenario is simply incorrect about having to kill off all the inside elves.
(Had I known that, I would not have used the above strategy... I ended up beating the level without killing a single enemy unit, which was lovely as a tactical exercise but left me woefully under-XPed going into the next level... especially after beating the first scenario without much fighting either [recruited a keep of dwarves, brought them straight south, killed the elf leader, the end]. My guess is I'll have to restart altogether before completing the campaign.

It would also help to be clearer that you have to stand on all six glyphs SIMULTANEOUSLY. (Rather than turning them on like switches.)

The initial threat-trading with the elves was OK for local color but goes on for a long time without actually providing any useful information. If you're going to have such a long exchange, I'd suggest you incorporate some specific history rather than generic belligerence.

None.

8. Getting to finesse the level and win a bloodless victory was tactically satisfying, even though it was frustratingly foolish in the long run.

Actually make it necessary to kill off all the elves inside the caves.
Perhaps a troll leader in the side caverns who keeps a gold reserve, so the circle-around-the-back strategy isn't entirely bloodless.
Also, I don't understand why the main corridor isn't visible all the way to the edge of the screen.

The first time I played it I tried to circle around with all four guardsmen and grab the two main glyphs with Rugnur and Baglur, which turns out not to work because one of the trolls blocks the entrance to the left main glyph just before either dwarf can get there. Rugnur got pinned down and died.

Haven't looked at the WML.
I ought to, though... I have the storyboards for a campaign almost done and should start coding it soon.
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

5 - Not too bad at all. I had quite a bit of gold (250 or so), so I just recruited a bunch of scouts to kill the trolls and guardsmen to block the entrance. I rotated troops and didn't lose a single soldier until I closed the gates (one of my guardsmen was slowed).

I must protect this house.

Solid, although its hard to fathom the elves' persistence. And one would think the dwarven army wouldn't be too happy to wake and see a bunch of tree huggers sitting outside. Reinforcements?

None, really. Although, like the previous poster, I have limited experience troops (and this point, only one level 2). I have a feeling I'm going to be in trouble soon...

I finished in round 10/15 with 38 gold and will carry 65 gold over to the next level. Minimum gold for life.

8 - I am a fan of castle wars style games, so I dug this one.

Good as is.

Nope.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, normal

2.) 4

3.) Clear.

4.) Interesting

5.) A lot of Elves got in at the southern sidedoor.

6.) 9

7.) Nothing

8.) No
sorry for my English...
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Steelclad (Challenging), 1.10.0 - 246 Starting Gold.

4. I had to deal with one less troll since he went outside and got killed by the elves.

Clear.

Baglur talks too strange. The accent should be only slightly in the writing, and mostly imagined by the reader. As for the rest of it, childish is the word that comes to mind.

None. I even could've probably killed the enemy leader.

6. I like scenarios where you defend a small entrance from a horde of enemies.

I can't think of anything.

Nope.

It's fine.

By the way, the images used to make the gates close didn't show up until after the ending dialog. I think it needs a [redraw] tag or something?
Attachments
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)