Scenario Review: SoF 1 - A Bargain is Struck

Feedback for the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire (not to be confused with the Heir to the Throne scenario of the same name.)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Balroth

Re: Scenario Review: SoF 1 - A Bargain is Struck

Post by Balroth »

Made an campaign-wide feedback for this campaign, I think it's more helpful than feedback on seperate scenarios viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48884 I hope it helps! :)
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I think Sceptre of Fire was quite ok.

Of course after having played some add-ons with where you can can pick different abilities for your heroes, I prefer the "customizable hero" paths to the point where I try to avoid (re)playing campaigns without that, even the default ones.

The main storyline campaigns can still be expanded though, e. g. sojournings of grog and various other storylines that could enter the default campaigns.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Seems interesting for a start, the bargain could have been less dragging and more actual bargain. If you don't connect this scenario with the last part of "Legend of Wesmere", then that's why you're confused about this one

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- Making sure the caravans are out of harm under any means necessary

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Instead of having to defeat the elf leader as "Alternate objective", it should be "Bonus objective", while the scenario can be finished only by moving caravans and Alanin to Rugnur's keep

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- I had to replay the entire scenario as the caravans were too exposed to the elves and I lost one in process.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: March 11th, 2008, 11:04 pm A Bargain is Struck is the first scenario of the Sceptre of Fire campaign.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 Hard
Not so clear. When the scenario starts by king Haldric II showing up, the player expects to command the king's forces but the player gets the dwarves' forces instead.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Edited.
Campaign: The campaign storyline about crafting a container for the ruby is not so much interesting. It needs some incentive to get the player interested in the dwarf side.
Scenario: The dialog is clear, except when the elvish leader announces reinforcements that are nowhere to be seen. As stated previously by other players, it leaves the player confused until the gold increase is noticed. A more elegant choice would be to have the elvish reinforcements appear in the edge of the map, as it happens in so many campaigns. Besides, how did that surrounded elf receive the money? Are those Bitcoins?
Edited. Time is tight, dwarves are so much slow and elves are fast. Even with the AI-commanded level-2 king's forces on your side, it is hard to protect the caravans from the elves. Also, as soon as the caravans arrive in their destination, the king's forces just sit down, leaving the fight to the dwarves. It is possible to defeat the elvish leader before the arrival of the "reinforcements", but then there's a choice: Should you go for the increased gold that comes with getting the objective early, or for the increased experience that comes from fighting more enemies? I always choose experience, so I took three of the hexes from the elvish keep and let him recruit three new elves per turn (which I get promptly killed) until he runs out of money.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The scenario needs changes, but not so much in the game as in the narration. If dwarves are to be the protagonists of the scenario and the campaign, they need an introduction even if it is a brief one. As it is, the immediate entrance of the king, and him taking the initiative in the conversation with the somewhat hesitant dwarves, makes the player think the campaign is about the king. Runur needs a companion to talk to, Balgur from the second scenario should be introduced here.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.8, Lord (Difficult)

5, it does get a bit dicey with being cut off from the north.

Crystal.

Clear.

Getting through the northern elves in time.

7, runes, smart enemies.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
tikaf

Post by tikaf »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.2, Lord (Difficult)

9. I was used to the previous version. The new map and having a host of elves attacking from the north required some adjustments.

Ok

Balancing where to send forces, and where/when to stay conservative. Many replays. In the end, and absolutely not a must do, I got a few quick units down, the caravans quickly up, trying at the same time to stay far enough to get the loyalists units distracting as many elves as possible. I tried to stay on good terrain and very conservative in my attacks to bear the brunt of the elves attack in the south, and more aggressive if possible in the north. Keeping Alanin

9. Lots of things to think about in this new map. The 2 temporary add-ons (melee damage boost and spped boost) are interesting.

No changes to the scenario, however there is no mention of the add-ons at all anywhere, so it is puzzling for anyone playing this new version. If not in the scenario itself, some kind of notice on the "mainland campaign wiki" to say what version has the new map and changes would be welcome (same for other campaigns by the way, it is not always clear when changes happen, or not clear where to see changes).

NB: replay is my first time winning the scenario, so lots of previous experiences, but no saves, as can be seen in the still erratic moves of some units :)
Attachments
SoF-A Bargain is Struck replay 20230119-195717.gz
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 71 times