Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Post by Jozrael »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard
7, if not for the gold I had. Considering how much gold I had, a 2.
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I thought it was a rather great task to try to sink the castle. One thing tho: Why does it say AN HOUR LATER? I'm in the middle of a flipping battle when I go on those spots: the battle isnt going to stop for an hour while we wait for them to come back up. Possibly send them away for a turn, or just don't mention the time taken.
NONE.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Change earlier scenarios to give me less gold. You've come a long way: last time I played through this campaign I had 1000 gold at like the 4th scenario. This time around it took me til the last scenario to accumulate 1k gold.

...but thats still 1k gold @_@. I outnumbered ALL 3OTHER ARMIES COMBINED @_@.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, actually, since Harper was no longer required I didn't realize I was risking him without the little crowny thing, and reloaded the turn <.<
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) Hard
(2) 6 (I started with 580 gold)
(3) Clear, although I don't understand, why this scenario allows the death of Harper.
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) Not really.
(6) 9. The different teams involved in this battle, made it a really good last scenario.
(7) To make it more difficult: The base income for the fortress army should be risen, thus they can recruit more units and defend themselves longer.
(8) No
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

4. Given only for the ability of the level 3 Loyalists to kill or almost kill one of my level 3s in one round of combat. I played by only using my leveled units for a bit of a challenge, as like Jozrael, I had around 900 gold at this point.

Crystal.

Good setup to the end of the campaign, nice that it all builds into a final battle where the others you have met along the battle show up to aid you.

None really, though the difficulty of clearing out the Loyalist troops to get to the towers means effectively clearing the fortress first. :P

8. It felt like a battle, I took some decent losses to my leveled units, and I definitely felt like I was attempting to break in to wreck the place. The aid of your former lord makes for a nice touch.

Good as it is, but possibly alter the starting positions so they do not like so... contrived.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks decent as it is now.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
silent

Post by silent »

This is one of the most fun scenarios, in my opinion. The story line is great and to play as outlaws and control rogue mages is really fun.

Medium 1.4.7
8. I think I should have taken either the gold or Helicrom's help.
Clear enough
Very, Stroyline and dialogue were just great throughout the campaign
Seiging the castle with 580 gold while holding off their spammed reinforcements and trying not to lose units
10. There is nothing more satisfying than mass destruction
None
No.
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Normal, 1.6.1

By itself, rather hard, 7. But since it's a bit to easy to get a lot of gold from previous scenarios, it's perfectly doable

Very clear

The dialogs are not great, but it's OK. The arrival of groups of soldiers from the East is fun. The presence of the orcs does not make a lot of sense though. They are so weak, are they stupid or what? The epilogue was very difficult to understand and kind of disappointing.

Getting in the fortress. So many high level units standing on very good defense ground; it would be almost impossible without the help of the horsemen.

7; even if the objective is original (the four towers thing), there is not so many degrees of freedom, and it is rather frustrating to send men to get butchered like this.

I understand that the point of the fortress is to be tough to attack, but this is really tough and I can't see any way to make it without using brute force and unit sacrifice. Both the human player and the orc play foolishly, so you can somehow use their suicidal behavior, but it ends up being the same. It's so frustrating to see this powerful cavalry charging pikemen, is there any way to make them a bit more clever?

No, I lost a lot of units, including lvl3, but it was OK since it was clearly the last scenario.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
--
Fireshrap

Post by Fireshrap »

Hard, 1.6

10, I've tried several times and still have not finished it. I have 298 gold to begin with, and I chose the option where the shadow lord joins me for this battle.

Clear

I like the feel of a massive battle. The four towers is an interesting and different objective. The enemy reinforcements from the east is interesting, but it makes it even more difficult.

I don't ever seem to get close to clearing the enemy units, but sometimes I can sneak units through to destroy some of the towers. At first I tried to keep my units alive by healing them in towns, but the enemy reinforcements from the east just kept coming and I was never able to break through. The allies don't seem that helpful. The shadow lord generates a ton of units upfront, but then never creates any more later on. Most of these units seem to fight the orcs. The horsemen just charge in and get killed by charging pikemen, or by getting shot up by the archers. Something I haven't tried yet is killing the orcs first, so I might give that a shot, but it seems speed is of the essence in this scenario. Also, it's possible that I'm having problems because all I have are ranged units, as they seemed more effective in the previous scenarios.

7. Seems fun, just a bit too hard.

Make the allies more useful.. maybe instead of orcs it's another friendly group?

Lost and restarted many times due to difficulty.

--
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

It can certainly be a challenging scenario. I'm afraid I don't have any replays of my own to share with you, but in general practice I will say I never engaged the orcs. I always let them run into the garrison and the reinforcements. The knights aren't terribly useful, true, but they a: split enemy forces and b: do manage to get some kills (gogo lancers!), so they're not useless by a long shot. I basically do a (very tactical) full frontal assault. I generally have the forces to engage more than one entrance at once.

This is a prime scenario where you have to be ok with losing -any- unit (so long as you are making progress). Even the most battle hardened of your level 3s will get turned into mincemeat if you place them poorly or they just have a spate of bad luck. Hope to be doing worse to the enemy than he is doing to you.
bilu

Post by bilu »

Hard, 1.6.5

Challenging, I'd say about a 9 especially compared to the previous scenarios in the campaign.
I elected the ability to recruit mages, so I had 380 gold and no 3rd army attack. The gold was sufficient to recall my 15 level-ups plus some additional footpads. I didn't feel this was enough to storm the enemy. After the orcs were decimated I positioned about a 1/3 of the force to block the reinforcements and prevent them from filling in the gaps at the fortress. With the rest of the force I feigned and tried to lure the enemy to open gaps big enough for the footpads/outlaws to sneak through. I managed to do this by turn 24. I think this approach can work even with less gold as I didn't really utilize all my force and didn't need all the level-ups.

Clear, though I began to doubt myself when the fort didn't crash immediately.

It's fine. Not at the level of some of the previous scenarios, but you can't ask for everything :wink:

Luring the enemy units to clear a gap in the fortified lines.

10. Definitely up there. This really felt like a battle going back and forth, and it required some thinking and strategy evolution.

Have the reinforcements push to reach the fortress instead of splitting up going after close outlaw or orc units.

Miscounting the number of tiles to the trapdoor (didn't really had to but got so upset with myself..)
oberon

Post by oberon »

1) hard 1.5.6
2) 8: it took me a long time to work out how to play it right, even with the help of the walk through - but that is because it is so different from the scenarios I have played so far, which is exactly what makes it interesting. Its tough, but keep it that way.
3) Clear and a nice change.
4) Clear, and interesting.
5) Learning how to be patient and use distraction and sneaking in tactics rather than a pitched battle
6) Having finished it I will say 8. There were times it felt like a two when I was doing to all wrong, but that was more than made up for.
7) Yes, I kept getting all my units killed......
silent

Post by silent »

1.8 has become rather disappointing from the last time I completed this

Hardest difficulty 1.8
2. I will explain further down
Clear, but it becomes clearer once the royal guards on the trapdoor move.
Good enough, epilogue took care of the rest
None. Unlike previous versions, this is now a joke of a scenario to complete because the AI has been changed to have it's recruits charge out into the open where the shock troopers it recruits are easily pinged down, and mages/bowmen are just mauled to pieces. Between that and the orcs distracting a fair portion of the castle forces, it has become far too easy.
3. And only because of the relative ease. Really disappointing what has happened to this scenario
Like previous versions, make the AI sit tight in the fortress and not be so idiotic by charging out.
No.
don't know WML

here is a replay, to show how easy it was for me.
Attachments
hardest_difficulty_far_too_easy.gz
(46.41 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

In playing this scenario, I recalled everything, and recruited a little with my remaining gold.

Using what I had, and with my allies' help, I had little trouble storming Haslstead and making it my own.

Despite numerous losses, I completely swamped the map and was able to wipe out the oncoming waves of wesnoth army faster than they appeared.

It's one of those cases where I'd really want to try to hold out -- they out to be just about as unnerved finding an opposing band of outlaws in Haslstead as finding it raised.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium 1.8.0

4. It could be very hard, but I simply had too much money to make it a real challenge. I expected something a little different from a fortress that counts as undefetable. I chose to recruit mages, but I believe there would be another ally on my side when choosing to let the dark mages duild their army. That would make it easier, maybe a 3 or 2.

Very. Go to the 4 Trap Doors

Very good. It is explained why the outlaws know how to destroy the castle. I only have a problem with the end. It is perfectly fine to let them return to a village that is burned down. But I expected them to keep up the fight or at least DO someting. They became outlaws, fought, allied with dark sorcerers, and even destroyed a whole castle to stay free in their own homeland, and then they find a note and just decide to stop everything and leave the homeland they fought and lost men for? That is disappointing...
A footnote: as above, the "One hour later" does not make a lot of sense

Not to get into a two-front-war with the Loyalists and the orcs

6. It is quite fun to storm a castle and even stomping it into the ground, but I didn't get it why the orcs were there. The units the orcs recruited weren't a challenge at all, the only upside of them was, that they kind of stopped the reinforcements long enough for me to destroy the castle (2 turns after they arrived the last tower fell)

Better orcs, so that it actually makes sense for them to be there, and especially more intelligent Loyalists. With the exception of the few guards they left the castle to attack me, and only me, so after a few rounds the opponent didn't have enough units left to seriously hurt me and the allied cavalry was able to storm the castle, even kill the enemy leader. I went into the castle, with just 2 or 3 enemy units left in there...

Yes. I spread my units too much across the landscape in the first try and for some reason orcs and humans decided to crush me instead of fighting against each other. In the second try they behaved as expected and the scenario was a cakewalk
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

I have played Liberty on Wesnoth 1.8.4.Here I have found the last scenario "Glory" exceptionally hard on hard difficulty.The castle defenders are very cautious and do not budge even with the greatest provocation.I had chosen the extra ally,so Helicrom was beside me.But neither he nor the riders from Elensefar were of any help,as they only committed suicide moves.Helicrom recruits only level 3 units,exhausting his gold on the 2nd turn itself.Moreover the orcs instead of storming the castle attack Helicrom's forces.The castle defenders get new reinforcements in every 6 turns,which is most irritating.Here I have to fight in at least 3 fronts with a mediocre army,almost useless during the daytime (even with quite a few L3s).I have failed in all my attempts to clear this level.I had previously played this on 1.8.1,which was a cakewalk.
I'm posting a start of the game autosave.Can anyone please help by posting a replay,so that I can atleast understand where I'm going wrong?
Attachments
Liberty-Glory-Auto-Save1.gz
(37.99 KiB) Downloaded 1010 times
boru

Post by boru »

Here ya go. Not the greatest job ever ... I lost some good units but got the job done in 13 turns.
Attachments
Liberty-Glory_replay.gz
(47.02 KiB) Downloaded 1035 times
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.