Scenario Review: Liberty 7 - The Hunters

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 7 - The Hunters

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 7 - The Hunters

Post by Jozrael »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This was nice, but again, as in all scenarios, there's no later game dialog.
This was rather easy, and provided some great levelup opportunities.
5, it wasn't that challenging. The enemy had pathetically few troops.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'd up the difficulty a bit.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Haha - no.

This was rather easy, also I think it'd be beneficial to have another scenario before Glory: not enough time to try to get a Shadow Mage D:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

1. I usually do not do extremes, but the patrol was decimated in 2 turns by my levels 3s. Then it was a nice stroll to the castle, wiping out the horseman who bothered to attack me and killing the leader.

Crystal.

Very good, I liked the setup, and the realization of the outlaws that they will never strike a crippling blow to the Queen by just picking at her patrols, setting them firmly now on their destruction of Halstead.

None.

3. Easy as pie, but the whole patrol bit is a nice little idea. Not to mention that the map design with the "outpost" keep helps to set the stage that you are approaching the outer limits of the fortress area.

More challenging units? Throw in a better mix of units to hint at the upcoming battle.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good as it is now.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Medium, 1.6.1

3, rather easy.

Very clear.

Interesting indeed. Two very different stages in the scenario, with different troops needed. This empty castle looks a bit strange though at the beginning, so it's not that surprising that something happens there.

A bit of bad luck when attacking the iron men can lead to some unexpected loss, one cannot really avoid one or two rounds of retaliation.

5. The three first turns are challenging, the rest is particularly boring.

Increase the difficulty. The map can be reduced as well, not that funny to run across the map to kill a few pathetic cavalrymen.

Actually, I lost my leader once, being too optimistic and a bit unlucky against an iron mauler.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
--
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium 1.8.0

3. Very easy, simply because the patrol You need to destroy has unfavorable terrain and the cavalry is too small and too much spread out, they don't stick together

Very

Very clear and interesting, it shows how to turn from simple outlaws which ambush patrols to a desperate group attacking a nigh impenetrable fortress

None

5. The idea is very good, but it is way too easy. the most turns just end in moving the units around and not engaging in even one combat

More challenging opponents. The reinforcement You have to ambush is fine as it is, but the outpost is way too easy. Maybe a second reinforcement the scouts missed which arrive a few rounds after the outpost is manned again?

No
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal, 1.9.3 (349 gold)

4, Not hard cause the heavy infantry can't get you in the mountains

Clear

Good (Lol "Hot fire!")

None

Make it so the shock troopers fort up in the mountain pass. That would probably make it more challenging

Nope

I think that when a unit steps on the fire tile he should lose 5-10 HP :P
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

1.6, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
2, easiest scenario of the campaign- the HI are weak to the impact damage we have lots of, and the AI as usual does a poor job fighting across great distances

Fine

Good; we can't just keep messing around here.

Not over-recruiting.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
2 - The patrol is cute, as is the enemy returning, but it's just too easy.

More bad guys. Shrink the board.

No
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, 286 gp, no reloads

overall it's like "5", but once you figure out the best mix of troops and tactics it becomes "4" IMO. Not tough, but one should take a lot into account to pass this safely. Even so, I lost one of my loyal outlaws to a lucky double-hitter of a green leader.

Finished on turn 20/26, 29 kills, 5 losses

finding the right mix of troops, avoiding death of critical/experienced units. At the 2nd attempt I recruited a few level one troops to give easy targets to AI.

"8"

mostly good as is. The only thing is when you approach enemy fort you don't face resistance. Attached is how it looks on the 16th turn. It's morning, so I beleive a good opportunity to give enemy last gold/troops boost. It should not be too big, cause then it might become too tough to finish off everyone by turn 26.

was too defensive vs main enemy force, so lost time and reached their leader to late. In a hopeless attempt to kill him Harper was killed.
Attachments
Liberty-The_Hunt..._replay.gz
(28.52 KiB) Downloaded 939 times
16th turn, morning
16th turn, morning
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? 1.9.8, Hardest available, No save load, 402 gold.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Interesting, but possibly a tiny bit unclear. Initially, based on the lines about ambushing the Wesnoth army, I expected a very different fight, with more and more reinforcements slowly spawning in. Probably my own fault though.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Over-recruiting and fearless shock troopers during the night.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7. Well done, but relatively standard.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? First run I massively over-recruited, because I expected the whole Wesnoth army to spawn in as reinforcements bit by bit. The ability to recruit Outlaws was also a big temptation, one that I ultimately decided to avoid. Eventually I opted to go for a high risk, high reward opening, which accepted a chance at restarting the map when the loyal footpads got splatted by fearless shock troopers.

(as always I am using the unofficial bug fix to allow AI to recruit all unit types specified in the scenario: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32939)
Attachments
Liberty-The_Hunters_replay.gz
1.9.8, Hard, No save load
(30.25 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Outlaw (Normal), 1.10.1

3. It looks pretty intimidating with all the gold the enemy has, but they die easily, as do the HI patrol.

Doesn't get any simpler than "Kill all enemy forces".

Very interesting for this scenario. I loved Baldras' quote, "When we are done, no one will fear the open roads and night sky more than the army of the usurper. Strike fast, strike silently... and leave no one alive." It added some immersion to give the Iron Mauler a line once any of them are attacked.

None.

6. It was really nice destroying the Iron Maulers from the mountains. Other than that, it was pretty chill.

None that I can think of.

Nope.

N/A
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Fugitive(difficult), 1.10.1
--- 3-6. I played this three times, first time with bonus around 390 gold carryover (500 from Helicrom + Some spare coins. That was really easy fight but I had to play again cause I didn't manage to bring Halstead down) and second time with 88 (or maybe 188, idk :doh:) and no other supplies (I chose Helicrom's assistance at Halstead). I lost all highwaymen and huntsmen so I restarted and played third time.
--- Clear
--- That was a bit dramatic, we either kill them or our men have no chance to win. I like this (I feel more important :lol2:).
--- Well, I lost some men so it took more time and got me less bonus gold but I think it wasn't very challenging.
--- 9. I love ambushes :mrgreen:
--- I don't know. It's nice as it is.
--- As I said earlier, I lost almost all valuable troops so I got pissed off and restarted :whistle:
--- You won't get angry, will you? :cry:
Attachments
Liberty-The_Hunters_replay2.gz
(28.56 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It has a a good start, however I expected more.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The Level 2 and level 3 warriors are tough, but they aren't too many.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I find it to be too simple. Maybe having some enemy reinforcements coming from the north around turn 10...
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

4/10

Clear. Although I was expecting something else (more and more patrols coming in).

Good.

None.

5/10 It's okay, but it could be better.

Give more gold to the opponent. Create another patrol (maybe cavalry). Make it a bit harder in general.

No.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1.10.7 Difficult

Clear.

Good.

This scenario forced me to actually play the outlaws properly. I did not have a huge number of level 3 units which meant that trying to take the enemy on in the open turned out to be a prolonged form of suicide. Once I gave up on trying to finish the scenario quickly and lured the enemy into the forest I was able to use the good terrain to slowly chew them up, while I sent a few units around the top edge of the map to seize the villages and prevent myself from losing too much gold, but I only barely won on time, on turn 23 of 26 to be exact.

4. It's not the scenario's fault really. It took me a while to realize that I needed to approach this scenario patiently instead of trying to finish it quickly to get more gold and that was much more my own idiocy then anything inherent in the scenario. Still when I think back on the scenario the frustration I had at first kind of tarnish's my memory of it even though it seems to be a solid scenario.

Its fine as it is.

Getting too greedy and impatient, and trying to take the enemy on outside the safety of the forest.
dabber

Post by dabber »

1.11.16 Fugitive (difficult), 495 starting gold

5 - Finally enemies powerful enough to actually hurt. And Mages!

Clear.

I like the idea and storyline of this one a lot.

Compared to other reports above, I had an easier time. I met the castle troops largely out in the open and had no trouble ripping them apart. I played it a few times and that worked each time.

6 - I like the theme and the start

My inclination is to make the leader tougher or give him a bodyguard, but given other feedback, that seems inappropriate.

No