Scenario Review: Liberty 6 - The Gray Woods

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 6 - The Gray Woods

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 6 - The Gray Woods

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
Clear, but lacking in enemy interactions (I guess they are the undead, but at least the leaders).

Finding the right unit mix to send in each direction is the focus of this scenario.

There are 1 (2?) bugs in this scenario, both relating to the amulet.

It seems that the 'circle of fire' graphic should be centered on the pedestal, yet its center to the lower right and appears broken. This may or may not be a bug.

I picked it up with my leader, gave the text and everything. In the next scenario, he lost the attack. =(. Made me sad, and I couldn't test more because I deleted autosaves :\.

EDIT: It seems to do it with any unit. Perhaps leave some indication that it is not permanent, like holy water, or make it permanent.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

3. My force is almost entirely level 3s by now, so as long as I watched about making overly stupid mistakes, I was fine.

Crystal. Go in, wipe out the undead.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good, and easy to understand. Shows how far the former village peasants are thinking to realize they are on par with these outcast mages. I agree with the above, undead or no (Necromancers at least are still living), some dialogue from the enemy when they spot you or when you attack them would be nice.

Walking all the way south. :P

5. Map is well done, emphasizing the forest taking over bits of old road, and how the undead have secluded themselves in caves/mountains. I really feel that the lack of any interaction on the enemy's part takes away from the whole just go in and root them out bit. The options at the end of the scenario are nice.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Dialogue from the enemy, possibly make them more defensive so it is tougher to root them out rather than picking off the units they send out.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nada.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good as it is now.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
oberon

Post by oberon »

1) Hard, 1.6.5
2) 4: No serious difficulties.
3) Clear
4) Good
5) The usual one of getting onto undead leader's caves
6) 7: The campaign is generally fun as well
oberon

Post by oberon »

I did not re-start the scenario, but I kept reloading it at the end as I changed my mind three times about which choice was bes (coming back from Glory of the end of the Hunters)
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium 1.8.0

4. In the beginning I feared that it could be hard because of the number of opponents, but your ally is competent enough and the opponents not really hard

Very clear. Kill everything that moves and is not living

Very clear and very good. I quite can't decide if the dark mages are not so bad after all or if the outcasts are just desperate enough to deal with such degraded individuals, but that is in my opinion a big plus in the dialog.

To enter the undead caves and rooting them out without losing too much units

5. As above, I miss a bit the opponent-player-interaction. The choices in the end are good, but I don't quite understand the money optin, because I already had lots of money at this point. I chose the option to take some mages with me.

The enemies need more interaction and it couldn't hurt if they are a bit harder...

Nope
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal, 1.9.3 (338 gold)

5, But it did get hard at the end when I had to kill the lich

Crystal Clear

Great. Helicrom seems... sketchy :|

Killing the lich was tough because you can only attack him from a few hexes (And those hexes were occupied by Helicrom's units) and unfortunately, Helicroms men had trapped Sel Mana on a village. :annoyed: luckily, one of his thieves died, And I moved in with a bandit.

I had sent an outlaw to grab villages, But the enemy sent a wraith to do the same and I lost my outlaw :(

None

Lost once because Harper was killed by a necromancer

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

1.6, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
3 (if Glory is 10) - What with my and Helicrom's high level outlaws.

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Good; I think you did a good job with the morally ambiguous Helicrom, and depicting the desperate situation of the outlaws. We could stand to have some chit chat from the lich.

Killing a wraith that was running around wreaking havoc.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
5 - the terrain is good, the dialogue good

- Make Helicrom actually recruit some Shadow Mages
- Make it harder

No
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, no reloads, 154gp

"4" without losing experienced units, "3" just for the win

lost 1, killed 29, finished on turn 35 out of 42

I guess killing the main lich is the most tricky part. His fellow necromancers are significantly easier

it's good, but too easy

I guess the battle goes similarly for everyone - two quick skirmishes with weaker necromancers, the ally rocks here. Then going for the lich, getting experience from level-1 undeads on your way. So for these two stages:

I
I tried giving a bit more gold for green and purple, it does not make good by itself. The problem is their 1st level units are mostly free experience for you and ally. So I'm pretty sure it's necessary to let them recruit 2nd levels... like instead of {Skeleton,Skeleton Archer,Ghost,Walking Corpse,Ghoul} probably {Skeleton,Bone Shooter,Ghost} for the purple necromancer, and {Revenant,Skeleton Archer,Ghost} for the green. Obviously they should have more gold at the beginning... and btw usually they cannot flag villages, so giving a small fixed income might also add some fun

II
after green and purple lose their armies at least, the only thing left is a stream of 1st level adepts, skeletons and bats. Again just a free experience, you have to be quick to take it for yourself, that's the only challenge... Pretty much no other options but giving higher level units to the Lich, like {Revenant,Bone Shooter,Dark Adept,Blood Bat}. He flags many villages early on, so probably he won't have problems with gold as is.

And btw, don't see the reason to let ally recruit trappers and huntsmen, useless units against undead. Also, fugitives are too strong... they might be ok against 2nd level undead, but as is it's too much.
Attachments
Liberty-The_Gray_Woods_replay.gz
(44.55 KiB) Downloaded 998 times
Last edited by podbelski on June 21st, 2011, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Here is the replay on the map modified as above (w/o fog of war for test purposes). I like it much more :)

Also, you can download modified scenario (replace the original at \data\campaigns\liberty\scenarios\)

One more addition seems good - when you kill green and purple, the lich gets a gold bonus. He says smth like he's angry and recruits several stronger units like Shadows, Wraiths. So the player gets the last tough battle, then crushes the lich himself
Attachments
06_The_Grey_Woods.cfg
(15.08 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
Liberty-The_Grey_woods_replay.gz
(45.81 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Also, shadow mages suck in this campaign. See my comment for the Glory scenario.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Outlaw (Normal), 1.10.1

Clear, destroy the enemy leaders.

Pretty good. I like how Baldras insults his own possible-ally for practicing the dark arts. Also good to shed some more prespectives on the magics that they practice.

Painstakingly getting units killed by the enemy leaders.

6. The ally just kinda blindly rushes in though, which gets annoying sometimes. He leveled an archer into a Bone Shooter near the northern Necromancer. Pretty frustrating when he just sacrifices his L3's.

Make Helicrom recruit a few more of his mages, they seemed pretty cool. Also, give him some formation, to prevent what happened above.

Nope.

N/A
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Fugitive(difficult), 1.10.1
--- 7. Still beat at first attempt :P
--- Clear.
--- Nice, but the undead are not evil enough. :wink:
--- Killing the first dark sorcerer was hard, because I firstly insisted on killing him with poachers :eng:
--- 8. I generally like playing bandits. :D
--- As I said earlier, undead are not evil enough. I would make them said something like "Fool, now you and your mortal meat (army :mrgreen: ) will join me as eternal minions.", "Your fate is foretold." or something like that. Especially lich should say this.
--- No such events. I just played this two times because I forgot to make a save before killing lich and deciding what help I take from Helicrom. I will upload a second replay. :geek:
--- ^_^
Attachments
Liberty-The_Hunters_replay2.gz
(28.56 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. Helicrom is an interesting character.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The challenges were fine. To me, the mountainous terraing was the hardest part - having to fight on mountains to assault the liches' lairs.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 - Good fun. Explore, fight undead, and then becoming difficult close to the end.
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's good enough as it is.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

Just winning it is easy. Not losing any unit is a bit tricky, around 6/10. Didn't get it done though, the Lich always snipes one no matter what.

Very clear.

Good.

Avoiding losses, spoon-feeding xp. Couldn't really level much, my ally stole much of the experience.

7/10

Rewards from rogue boss are unbalanced.

I always restarted from turn 1 when I lost a unit. In the end I had to accept one casualty.