Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aXidal

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Post by aXidal »

This level is totally bugged in 1.7.15-1.8rc1

The enemy can see me all the time no matter what I do which make this scenario close to impossible.

I attach a replay to show what I mean =)
Attachments
Frihet-Kurragömma_repris.gz
(15.83 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It's going to be fixed in the final 1.8 release.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium 1.8.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. The opponents are not impossible and the most are simply avoidable, but it is hard to find a correct way

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There is not much story to begin with, just an informant who says to meet him at the specific point, so... very clear, but not interesting

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Finding the right path. I played it a few times in different versions, but I actually never managed to find the right way. I always had to fight a few opponents. But there are enough forests to hide in whe the fighting starts, so it is not a big deal.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. It is different and a refreshing pause from typical "Kill X" scenarios.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.9.3 (181 gold)

5-7, Depending on where it puts the guards

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good

A swordsman or a pikeman with the quick trait can be tough.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I died a couple times, And restarted from the beginning

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

1.6, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
I have no idea how to rate this. This scenario is totally unlike any other scenario I've played. You're not thinking in conventional Wesnoth terms anymore. Finding the path isn't a cakewalk, but it's not impossible by any means. Anyhow. I think you nailed the difficulty you're looking for in this scenario, even if I can't give you a magic number.

I understood, but you should spell out how far units can see.

Good again! It would be cool to hear a couple bored sentries spilling gossip that foreshadows the rest of the campaign, but that would be icing on the cake.

Taking it slow.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
8 - Again, I think you nailed it.

See (4).

No
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

(1) Easy, 1.8.(5?)
(2) 5
(3) The objective itself was quite clear, but I missed a clearer explanation of how far the guards can see. I didn't instantly understand that they cannot only see someone within their movement range, but also someone who is adjacent to an accessible field.
(4) There wasn't much story, but I liked it... the thieves were a nice touch.
(5) Quick units on both sides can block quite much of the path.
(6) 8. It was quite refreshing to have a stealth based mission in this campaign.
(7) Probably a bit more story or special events would have been nice...
(8) Yes, at my first attempt Hans (the thief leader) was discovered by the enemy leader in the very moment he appeared. (bug?)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

I mostly share the opinion the scenario is boring... had to reload a few times

Overall I like the idea, just agree with the suggestion to add some guard talks (they can discuss what the fk they are looking for here, and curse their life because they could have be drinking beer in the inn instead), and battle(s). I think it will be fun to trigger an event right before the final hexes - maybe a lone swordsman should somehow appear (he was taking a piss in the trees)... just 1 little assault will be great :)
taptap

Post by taptap »

Managed on the first attempt. Learned cmd+b shortcut here, before I was always checking manually. Fine as is. Hearing some gossip from shock troopers would be nice. Maybe add a situation were you can't pass without alerting anybody, so you have to go the last moves running. Aside, I would have preferred the quick outlaw I have over Harper :).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

I suggest at the end of this scenario that Harper and Baldras share a little. "I've never knew you had such a talent for camoflague, Harper." "I'm beginning to discover a host of talents that I never knew I had, father."

From this point in the campaign Harper gains a +10% terrain bonus in Forests. This isn't much of a bonus, but it helps mark him out from his contemporaries. This means that you can then use him (and he is recognisable as such) in Heir to the Throne. See http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 17#p523317 for how this can then feed into HttT.
Vtin

Post by Vtin »

Hi all, this is my first post. Don't know if this should be posted here.
Found this thread recently; I must say I found this scenario impossible and dropped it away; I was unable to find out of sight squares in any direction. 1.10.1 version.
I'm not asking for a walkthrough, though... a confirmation that it can be done (I'm not possibly a good player) is enough!

Thanks
Val
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Vtin wrote:Hi all, this is my first post. Don't know if this should be posted here.
Found this thread recently; I must say I found this scenario impossible and dropped it away; I was unable to find out of sight squares in any direction. 1.10.1 version.
I'm not asking for a walkthrough, though... a confirmation that it can be done (I'm not possibly a good player) is enough!

Thanks
Val
Unfortunately, I think the code which randomizes the guard positions has a fault which makes it possible that sometimes there's no clean way around every guard. Without a savefile, it's impossible to say whether that's what you've gotten or not, though. In any case, I consider it a bug in the scenario, so if you post your beginning-of-scenario save I can fix it for you. Or if you have a save or replay from near the end of the previous scenario, you can simply finish that scenario again, which will give you different guard positions for this scenario.
Vtin

Post by Vtin »

Thanks for the response!
I'm not really sure if it is absolutely impossible or not, as I might be missing a critical move. But I can assure that there is no random guard position: I've played the last turn of previous scenario for three or four times and the guards in 'Hide and Seek' are always in the same spot.
East moves are impossible as there are two guards in the coast; South-East option ends in four or five turns, catched between these two guards and other one at south, near the mountains; tried a South-West moving that ends in 15 or so, whenever you arrive to the camp. Moving east before you reach the camp isn't good, as you arrive to the same spot as in previous option; and top-west is well guarded.
Might be a bug in Mac version?

V.
Vtin

Post by Vtin »

Nevermind... found a South way. Feeling stupid now.
But still same guard position!

V.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Played on Outlaw (Normal), 1.10.1

6, but it varies depending on the random numbers that the code's picked out for you.

Clear.

There really dialogue isn't much to comment on here. It's okay.

Taking some hits without getting swamped or killed. On previous playthrough's I've always been able to do this without combat, but this time around, it couldn't be done. That quick Swordsman just made it impossible to get Baldras through. I had to let him get the first hit, and a Shock Trooper came in as well. Thankfully, Harper was close to reaching L3, so Baldras was just barely able to survive.

From there, I was given a clear, hidden path to the signpost. Also, CTRL + V really helps here. For those who don't know, it displays the enemy's move radius.

6. Pretty refreshing to have a stealth scenario. A bit more entertaining since I had trouble finding a way around this time.

None, it's good as it is. The randomisation determining the troops' positions just make it better.

I had to die a few times before finding out there was no way through. For the winning playthrough, Baldras still almost got killed.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I went through it, and I think it's very well documented.
wesja

Post by wesja »

Hi,

Unlike Vtin I tried 4 or 5 times to go through this scenario but I didn't managed to go all the way with Baldras.

I tried the full east way but I hit a guard in the wooden fort. Anyway this is too long for Baldras.
I tried the south east road but after the mountain I can't get through the eastern forest (Baldras too slow).
I tried the full south road but I can't get through a lake.

Also I tried several times (by reloading end of previous scenario) and guards are all in the same place each time. So it seems there is no random here. Is there really randomization on this scenario ? It seems not everybody agrees on this (I've read other topics).
Release is 1.10.2 on Kubuntu.

Thanks.