Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Post by Inky »

shadow12 wrote:Harper's larger range of site into the fog was a hinderance, it just alerted the enemy.
The idea of this scenario is to use Harper to scout the way for Baldras. Whether or not you're spotted depends on the enemies' sight ranges, not your own. If you made it through with Baldras, you should have had no problem having Harper follow the same route.

Use ctrl + B to show the enemy movement ranges and remember that their sight range is one hex further than their movement range.

Hope this helps!
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

Inky wrote:
shadow12 wrote:Harper's larger range of site into the fog was a hinderance, it just alerted the enemy.
The idea of this scenario is to use Harper to scout the way for Baldras. Whether or not you're spotted depends on the enemies' sight ranges, not your own. If you made it through with Baldras, you should have had no problem having Harper follow the same route.

Use ctrl + B to show the enemy movement ranges and remember that their sight range is one hex further than their movement range.

Hope this helps!
Yes, thank you for the reply! It was very helpful.

You are correct that the dialog says to move the younger Harper ahead to scout, but you don't really have to do anything with him. When Harper moves to the signpost, Hans tells him "You can come if you wish, but the leader is only interested in speaking to Baldras." It didn't work for me to have them follow the same path. One time Harper stopped on a hex and was ok, but Baldras couldn't stop behind him or beside him because he would be in an enemy's sight range so he went east and got on a different route. Sometimes Harper could get past an enemy sight range with 7 moves, but Baldras couldn't move as far (5) and would have to find a different path to get through. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but for me it was easier to leave Harper behind.

I can't do ctrl+b because I'm using iOS. But the enemy's movement range shows when I highlight an individual. Is that the same as ctrl+b in windows? I am still learning all this stuff ...

Edit: (also made some changes to the paragraph above).
I just replayed it and now I see what you are saying about the enemy's sight range triggering the attack, just like (duh) in all the other scenarios. I was wrong thinking it was my movement range triggering it. For some reason, I thought it was like they were asleep and they awoke when our range hit them. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.13.6 normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

very

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

clear but silent

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

none

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

3 it is a maze scenario

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

add a wandering patrol

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

no
Attachments
Liberty-Hide_and_Seek_replay.gz
(19.94 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.14.0, Difficult

Pretty much.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Interesting and clear.

-

4, because there is only one viable route. It's a unique concept, but it's a bad maze.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Make the patrols move a bit.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Accidentally being discovered when I didn't pay attention.
Attachments
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay.gz
(19.73 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Clear, get to the signpost on SE

- Very good. Baldras and Harper's uncle-nephew relationship really stands out how good it is

- Trying to avoid being seen by guards. I had to kill two iron maulers who were on my way (ended up leveling Harper to fugitive)

- I like it the way it stands

- No
YanTanTethera

Post by YanTanTethera »

Difficult, version 1.14.5.

2. Once you understood the mechanics, it is rather easy.

Relatively clear, although “(Move Baldras to the Signpost in the south-east)” might be added.

I found them interesting and clear. I like the mocking way the thieves speak and regard Baldras as one of their ranks.

Staying alert. At the eastern edge of the map Baldras got sighted by an enemy soldier and he and Harper had to make a bolt for it.

3, although it adds a nice variety to the campaign.

Maybe add a little fight, that does not cause the whole brigade at once to chase the two main characters.

No.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

(1) pre-1.15 (80d3e93d2b), beginner (doing a play-through with no recalls and only minimum starting gold)
There was a guard on 27,39, so this was with guard_locs option c.

(2), (3) and (5) I understood the task to be staying out of the guards' vision range at all times, which turned out to be impossible. The mechanics are to be out of the guards' vision during the guards' turn, they don't notice you while you're running on your own turn.

(4) I regard this scenario as a plot set-up for the Grey Woods scenario, I think it's good for the storyline but didn't pay attention to the story dialogue in this one.

(6) When there's a clear path, 7. When confused by the objectives, 1.

(7) Either add a hint that the guards aren't paying attention during your own turns, or ensure that there's a clear path. Having looked at the WML and found that the randomness is limited to three predefined sets of locations, and all of them have a section where you have to run through the guards' vision.

Although there's a hint about working out the vision range from the movement range, there's no hint that it's easy to find out the enemy movement ranges. Maybe we should also hint about the existence of the "show enemy moves" menu option.

(8) Got sidetracked in to finding out whether the guard placement was different in 1.15 compared to 1.14 :lol:
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9, Fugitive (Difficult) (in Ironman mode), played several times
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
10. This is relative to the other scenarios in the campaign. The campaign is too easy IMO. This scenario isnt really hard either but requires flawless play. A single misclick has a high chance to cause a loss.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
So so.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I think the rules should be made crystal clear: Its ok to move into enemy sight as long as I am not in enemy sight at the end of the turn. And its ok to take a village. A human player could notice a village being taken - due to loss of gold income or it being visible on the map.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not misclicking.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
1. I dont like this scenario.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Its simply some other kind of game than normal BfW. I dont think this can be fixed with mere changes.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, I played the campaign without reloading and scenario restarting.
Attachments
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay.gz
(20.89 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Fugitive (Difficult), 1.15.5
1, If you follow the obvious route with Harper, then there is absolutely no challenge in beating this scenario.
clear
clear
I had no major challenges.
I would appreciate some kind of alternative objective. There could be a key lying somewhere on the ground and Harper could use this key to enter a special place. This placed should be guarded and there could be gold or a special item like it is in the first scenario.
no
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.5, Outlaw (Normal), 1.15.6, Fugitve (Hard)

1, you either avoid any mistake or you die.

Pretty clear, but I fogot inbetween that Baldras has to arrive, not Harper.

Clear.

Like, not getting found?

8, it's unique. And it's nice that there are multiple routes.

-

I'm going to spare you the scenario stats this time.
Attachments
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay 20201018-135641.gz
'Hard'
(19.14 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay 20201016-110323.gz
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1. Normal (the middle one), Wesnoth 1.15.11+dev
2. 9/10 (this is actually an unique scenario)
3. 10/10
4. It was cool. Sneaking my way through a city without a single guard noticing. :twisted:
5. The challenge was finding a path where the 5 MP Baldras could be moved through without alerting the guards. I usually followed the same route but noticed that it was changed in this version so I had to reload to start to rethink my approach.
6. 9/10
7. Even prevent the part where you can actually "milk" this level for XP by hitting the level 3 isolated ones with Baldras level 3 and then get the XP for Harper. You can do this like 2-3 times before the entire side starts the slow rush at you. I got Harper to level 3 that way.
8. Yes, it was to rethink my strategy as the "always-constant-path" was different this time. Maybe it could be a different path each time? That would be nice.
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay 20210325-172935.gz
(20.12 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1.15.14, Outlaw (Normal). Also sometime back in 1.12 or something.

8/10 - the difficulty is clearly not in combat though.

Clear enough. Get to the signpost. If Harper makes it, Hans asks for Baldras to come.

Clear, and exciting - something different from the usual fighting and fighting. I do wonder how our recruit and recall lists managed to sneak through with us, but that's not really relevant.

Figuring out which openings Baldras could make it through, especially given his 5 movement points and forest everywhere. If you don't know about ctrl-v and ctrl-b, now is the time to learn.

8/10. Stealth!

None.

No.
Attachments
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay 20210622-185240.gz
1.15.14, Normal, English
(20.03 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.2 Fugitive (Challenging)
2. Just following instructions and counting movement points.
very clear
clear. I like how the whole 'outlaw faction' is being built throughout the campaign. Footpads, thugs, poachers, and thieves are usually on the same team, and this scenario gives a nice explanation of how they end up being on the same side even if they have very different approaches.
Just attention to detail, double checking every move to make sure Baldras can't be seen.
7. It's quick, simple, tense without being frustrating.
Some funny dialogue for the guards might be appropriate, to highlight how silly it is that they are each standing alone, totally still, with no light source on a foggy night, making no real attempt to either hide or try to find anyone. They are really terrible at their jobs.
Attachments
Liberty-Hide and Seek replay 20220331-222424.gz
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
JL42

Post by JL42 »

What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
v. 1.16.10
Fugitive / Challenging
How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Thankfully, Baldras and Harper didn't say very much in this one.
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
There's not really much challenge here, once you understand how the vision ranges work, but it's fun to have to scout and sneak around.
How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Fix/revert the writing.

---------------
About the Overall Campaign:

The maps in this campaign are generally solid and well-done. I like the revisions to the last few scenarios; these are big changes but they seem like an improvement over the old maps. Challenging, interesting, and well-balanced.

But, ugh ... the writing! The "dialect" here feels horribly off and inconsistent. The characters sound like some kind of city-slicker's sarcastic, mocking fantasy of rural people. (A lot of it actually sounds to me more like caricatured Urban Black English, rather than rural speech patterns; but it's false and inconsistent regardless.) Makes it very hard to develop sympathy and identity for the heroes because they come across as goofy caricatures. It's really difficult to write dialect without these problems so I would suggest just not doing it.

In addition, Baldras now comes across mostly as a sad-sack, with no real integrity, ingenuity, agency, or legitimate grievance. It just reeks of the attitude that these people, the actual heroes, are inept and dumb. Also, I understand wanting to make the ending more optimistic, but this also really weakens and eviscerates the story. There are still some high points, like the Monty Python references, but I seem to remember liking this one much better in the past, with the story being its high point. Now it just feels like a bad joke making fun of rural folks; completely ruins the enjoyment.

The "points of interest" throughout the various scenarios are a good addition, but it would be better if they were flagged somehow. Either with a graphical label ("Harper's Spare Bag") or through dialogue ("I left my bag in the northwest; if I can make it up there to pick it up then I'll be able to throw more rocks!") These work well as tactical objectives – deciding if it's worth leaving the battle to go after them – but it was kind of annoying to have to struggle to figure out what they actually do and who needs to go there. Eventually I just looked at the walkthrough for that information, but to avoid pointless hassles it should be clarified in the game itself.

Overall I'd give this campaign 3 out of 5 stars; it would be a lot higher if it weren't for the painful writing. The maps themselves are generally good.