Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
earthboy

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 5 - Hide and Seek

Post by earthboy »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? easy
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? clear enough (because I peek the WML code ^_^V)
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? quite good
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? I have no idea, I had no challenges.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? placing some weak units in they way.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No, there's not
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? (I think it's clear enough. I want to copy the WML and add it into my own scenario.)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
None
4 (its fun, just not really a scenario).
I agree with adding in some enemies that you can't avoid, you gotta pick a fight or two.

Sort of bland. Running thru enemies is fine, but SOMETHING has to happen to make it exciting <.<
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) Hard
(2) 4
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) Finding the right path.
(6) 3, simply sneaking through the enemy territority is a bit boring, although the idea is actually good.
(7) Maybe some special events should occur. Some fighting would also be nice.
Besides, I don't know, if it's possible, but the percentage of money you can take to the next scenario should be changed to 100%. Because you neither have the chance to get money nor do you get a bonus for an early finish, but nevertheless you lose 20% of your money at the end of the scenario.
(8) Yes. I had to reload several times, when I was a bit incautious and moved into the attack range of an enemy.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

dsa wrote:3, simply sneaking through the enemy territority is a bit boring, although the idea is actually good.
Problem is though when you write a campaign it is hard to not just make all of the scenarios kill x y and z and move to this point by this turn or resist x turns. These are the most commonly used so you see them a lot. When someone creates a new type of level i thought it was a nice change.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

7. Not truly difficult, but given that my varied placement of the guards meant there was no way for my Bandit to sneak through (their sight had a one hex gap for longer than he could move), it was a challenge to avoid the guards after they were chasing me.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The setup is nice, and it was one of the few scenarios in which I thought fog was tastefully used (compared to all campaigns in general). I also enjoy the secretive nature of how the village people turned outlaws meet with the true thieves and outcasts.

None really, except running from the guards.

7. No fighting, but contrary to the others, I think it is nice to have a change of pace. It requires you to think and focus a great deal more on unit range, and just focuses on developing the story.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Enjoy it as it is now.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I think the detail on creating the varied locations for the guard units is well laid-out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
EZE

Post by EZE »

(1) Difficulty Normal v1.4.7
(2) Difficult Rating: 6/10
(3) Objective Clarity: reach the signpost is very clear
(4a) Dialog: Well written, some chit-chat every few turns would have been welcome but it may bother some players
(4b) Storyline: It fit well enough
(5) Major challenges: Figuring out exactly how the fog related to enemy movement.
(6) Fun Rating: 4/10 I had to reload 6 times
(7) Scenario Changes: Remind players that enemies see 1 hex more than they can move
(8) Restart Event: Being spotted
(9) WML Readability: Did not inspect the coding

Thank you
bofto

Post by bofto »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium
Clear
Not very, but that's because the scenario is so annoying.
Non-battle scenario, not entirely evident "see distance" for the enemy.
It's a neat, but rather tiring scenario. It would be cool with just one guy, the footpad. It takes away from beating up on things with footpads and poachers. And that's always bad.
superbeast

Post by superbeast »

Medium difficulty in 1.7.0

Haven't finished it yet, but 8 at this point

clear

fair

staying alive

a very annoying 1, have reload\restart about 6 times and I'm tired of it.

a. give players horses to increase movement; and\or b. make the villages a hiding place where they can't be seen so they can heal a bit

death. I can make it a little over half way down the map but my health is too low to recover before I get swarmed.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

medium, 1.7.3

9, i can see it is possible as i got about 70% down the map but reloads are not "legit" if i want to stay in the story, so i will try the walkthrough hints on next attempt.

7. initial meeting is good, nothing but doom after that.

- unable to see a pattern to the patrols, or the AI seems to be cheating after a reload (bug?) because they always came straight for me despite being out of visible range.

8 if you like hard puzzles with reloads, 2 if you don't.

- add intermediate goals such as trailblazing signposts made by local allies (readable only by player of course) or friendly villages where further intelligence on the patrols can be gotten.
- currently when a sentry engages in combat it seems the entire map knows about it. it should be possible to ambush sentries and (if none get away or no one else can see the fight) thereby have a bit of time to move through their patrol route, before they are noticed as missing.
- essentially, rebalance so that it is about 70% possible to get through this scenario (maybe with injuries) without reloading.

- boxed in
- imminent death about 70% down the map
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

(1) Peasant, 1.6.4
(2) 8
(3) 4: I in initially found it somewhat difficult translating the onscreen dialog into what i really needed to do.
(4) 4: see above
(5) understanding that the enemies could see farther than they could move
(6) It's fun enough, if the RNG gives you good enemy placement, see below.
(7) Constrain enemy placement a little more so that there would always be one path to follow without being spotted, see below.
(8) I started this campaign on three different machines, and gave up on two of them because there was literally no way to get to the south end of map without being seen.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

ok the sentries are stationary again in 1.7.6
Lyrax

Post by Lyrax »

Medium.

4. This scenario wasn't very hard for me, and I only had to fight one enemy.

Very clear. The scenario is simple and not difficult to understand in the least.

Loved it. The interactions between your two characters are really good: they sound real and give you a good feel for their relationship.

None, really. There were a few spots that were difficult to navigate, but I didn't run into any that were impossible.

8. It was really nice to have a change from the usual "build up an army and crush the opposition" kind of scenarios.

I don't think I'd make any significant changes. Perhaps have one or two guards ambush you at the end, and you have to kill them in order to keep them from reporting your presence? That might be very annoying to some people, though.

No. It was smooth sailing.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I did not read the WML for this scenario.
wilful

Post by wilful »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1. version 1.6.5, medium difficultly
2. so far, very difficult, I can't find the path!
3. perfectly clear
4. quite good.
5. Finding the path - still haven't managed it!
6. six or seven, it's a good different challenge
7. no, it's OK
8. lots of running in to guard
9. N/A

There is no indication in the manual what the sighing ranges are (well I couldn't find it). And even when you do know it, I'm still finding it very tricky to make it past the guard.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Press CTRL-B to see their sight ranges. Units can see one hex past their movement range.