Scenario Review: Liberty 2 - Civil Disobedience

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

devavrata

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 2 - Civil Disobedience

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, being simple as it is
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
It is a tough scenario. Those knights can kill nearly any one unit with a single charge. My units' ranged attacks are so weak.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I can't think of any.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3/10

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Leveling the heroes, I guess.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6/10 It's okay. I like scenarios without healers.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Don't know.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
It just took me one serious attempt.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 Difficult

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's perfectly serviceable.

The first few turns are rough. You get mobbed by horseman and cavalrymen almost immediately giving you almost no time to even leave your keep, and there are so many of them, which combined with their mobility makes it nearly impossible to not take loses. The few turns of recruitment you do get though gave me enough time to recruit enough archers to kill them off rather easily though. Once those are dead the the rest of the scenario is a joke as the leader never recruited a single additional unit, (and the keep he was in was too small for him to recruit much anyway if he was supposed to) and was easily overrun.

6. The first few turns were interesting, the rest was not. Luckily the scenario was so short, that the boring ending didn't drag things down to much.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
It took me a few tries to figure out how best to keep stuff alive during the first few turns, but I could have easily powered through any of those attempts if I had been wiling to lose a few more units.
dabber

Post by dabber »

1.11.15 Fugitive (difficult), 230 starting gold

2 Like the first, it looks difficult at first, but is pretty easy with some careful play.

Clear.

Good

I tend to get too aggressive, but Harper is a wimp.

I like the idea. As with the first, this campaign so far is different, and I like that.

Why does the enemy leader have money and a keep, but never recruit. Answer - because the wml gives him no recruit list!!

Nope

(9) WML
Comment in code says that attacking Tarwen makes him no longer passive, but the code in question does nothing but make him talk.
Could use a comment explaining that it converts all your troops to normal troops.
Biggest WML thing I believe is the missing recruit list.
fareley

Post by fareley »

1.12.0 Hard no reloads

Very clear, defeat the enemy leader who seems to have fallen asleep.

The storyline is okay, although I did not feel like the peasants were part of my folks. Maybe being able to recruit or at least control them might help in identifying more with the villagers.
And the line "Guard the gate" is a huge joke.

Figuring out how easy this level is if you just survive the early turn(s).

4 - It was frustrating at the start and when I figured out how to beat it there was nothing to it. No interesting terrain to make use of, not plot twist, nothing, just beat the units next to you and win.

As stated above, making the villagers part of your army could help. Having more interesting terrain, not just a huge area of flat land.

Special Agent Harper died on my first attempts. Then I recruited 4 guards on the first time while Mr. Harper fled the scene and swarmed with archers. In the end I overrecruited a ton of units expecting more of a scenario.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Attachments
Liberty-Civil_Disobedience_replay.gz
(17.63 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1.13.6 normal

6, trying to advance units

very

not getting charged by horsemen an dlosing good units

taunting by the invading captain

no
Attachments
Liberty-Civil_Disobedience_replay.gz
(17.86 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Difficult, 1.14.0

6, because expecially the Horseman are a challenge when you are trying to keep your units alive.

Very much so.

It was informative and nice. 6

Losing valuable units.

Allowing the captain to recruit.

No.
Attachments
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay.gz
(16.07 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear, get rid of that cavalier

- Very good. Seeing bandits in positive light with some development, who actually feel like real characters and not some goons or whatnot. Plus I say that Tarwen (cavalier), despite being minor antagonist, feels like one of the most despicable villains in Wesnoth. Slaughter of the peasants in the village was the proof for so.

- Trying to kill Tarwen during the night, yet it didn't do much to me as I was still neutral alligment

- Adding the line where Harper or Baldras says: "They're killing the people of our village! We will have to make sure that their deaths are not going to be in vain! Onwards!"

- None
YanTanTethera

Post by YanTanTethera »

Difficult, version 1.14.5.

3. The rider’s vulnerability to the Peasant Hunter’s arrows plus the fact that they arrive at nightfall left the enemy commander with zero units at dawn.

Absolutely clear.

Clear, and interesting.

Keeping Harper alive after he sneaked in for the occasional kill.

If the enemy force would arrive at dawn and one had to hold the village until midnight, or if the enemy commander had more than one hex for recruiting reinforcements.

No, though Harper almost had me reload.
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9, Fugitive (Difficult) (in Ironman mode), played several times
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3, its probably a bit RNG in the first turn, esp Harper can be endangered if it goes wrong
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Its a bit too RNG (I think) and too easy.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, I played campaign without reloading and scenario restarting.
Attachments
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay.gz
(16.97 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Fugitive (Difficult), 1.15.5
clear
clear
Not losing too many units. But this was no problem.
After I attacked Tarwen with some units, he fled into the forest where he had only 30% defense. So he was far too easy to take down.
no
Attachments
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay 20201002-113308.gz
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.5, Outlaw (Normal), 1.15.6, Fugitve (Hard)

4, your leaders and important units might die if you are not careful.

Clear.

I enjoyed the new lines.

Making sure that neither Horseman nor enemy leader kills an important unit. Basically paying attention and keeping fodder around.

5, thanks for the mace. :D

-

Scenario stats normal:
Spoiler:
Scenario stats hard:
Spoiler:
Attachments
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay 20201018-132019.gz
Hard
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay 20201016-101212.gz
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1. Normal - the middle one, Wesnoth 1.15.11+dev
2. 5
3. crystal
4, It was cool. I liked how the villagers defied the patrol from Wesnothian Kingdom since they were demanding allegiance without even offering anything good in return.
5. The challenges were those 2 Horsemen at the rear of the enemy formation. They have a high chance to kill the hero unit so I had to bait them and mitigate the damage. I did lose a good level 2 and almost-advanced level 1 units.
6. 6, but it can be more fun if that Loyalist patrol leader decided to join in instead of camping in his keep. Also, thank you for that special item at the back of Baldras' farm. It was a nice trinket.
7. If it's not any trouble, please ensure that the Cavalier leader participated in the attacks, maybe a bit more aggressively than his henchmen? It would make it more fun.
8. Not really. Got lucky.
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay 20210325-164745.gz
(17.32 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1.15.14, Outlaw (Normal). Also sometime back in 1.12 or something.

2/10. About as easy as it gets short of a story level.

Perfectly clear.

Great. "thy deceased corpse" *snickers* These characters have personality.

None. That's not very common, but compared to the last time I played it (hardest difficulty on 9-scenario campaign) it got way easier. The enemy doesn't recruit, the AI seems to preferentially target the peasants before us, and somehow we have a ton of gold.

7/10. We get to show the Wesnothians what's up. I remember the peasants used to be under our control (?) and that was fun but stressful trying to use them as fodder and/or keep them alive and level them up where possible. Also, I liked the easter egg for Baldras, as well as the others later in the campaign.

None really.

No.
Attachments
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay 20210622-174947.gz
1.15.14, Normal, English
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.2 Fugitive (Challenging)
very
I like the contrast between the way Baldras and the enemy leader talk. It builds the theme of the campaign, the fancy city boys versus the simple country folk. I actually laughed when the enemy gave his big speech with all the overly formal grammar and vocabulary, and then Baldras just says, "try it, stinker".
Just making sure that harper and Baldras stayed out of range of horseman charges. Otherwise it was very simple to just spam poachers against all the mounted units.
3. Perhaps a little too easy. The dialogue is great, but the gameplay is very simple and there aren't many tactical choices to be made.
Having the enemy leader join in the attack from the start would probably be better, since as it is you just spend a couple turns filling his troops full of arrows, then you walk across the empty map and swarm him. Changing all of the enemy mounted units into horsemen rather than cavalrymen would also increase the tactical considerations, since the constant threat of your units getting one-shotted by lucky charges would force more careful positioning. Changing the spearmen into heavy infantry would also encourage you to recruit a greater variety of troops. The mounted units all have vulnerability to pierce and resistance to impact, so there is really no incentive to recruit anything other than poachers as the scenario is currently set up.
Also, I really like the regional diction Baldras uses when he talks/writes, but it's implemented really unevenly. Going through the dialogue and making his language more consistent would be a big improvement.
Attachments
Liberty-Civil Disobedience replay 20220330-210729.gz
(18.52 KiB) Downloaded 70 times