Scenario Review: Liberty 1 - The Raid

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zlob

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 1 - The Raid

Post by Zlob »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
--- Fugitive(difficult), 1.10.1
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
--- 3-4, it wasn't a problem.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
--- Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
--- Interesting story however it's strange for me that simple peasants had deep insight in Wesnoth's politics.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
--- There were no challanges.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
--- 7. Killing 5 goblin pillagers isn't great fun.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
--- I don't know, add some more goblins? :D No, let's keep it as it is.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
--- I wanted to move village guards so muuuch. But after I moved them, there was no way to prevent goblins to reach the village.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Umm, well, what is Wesnoth Markup Language? :lol2:
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:The Raid is the starting scenario of Liberty. Tell us your opinion about it by answering these questions:
(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. Typical introduction dialogue. We get to know the main two characters, the goblins threat and the kingdoms abandon.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The goblins are quite fast. Playing a persecution is an interesting turn form BfW.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's okay as it is.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

2/10

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
So far so good.

Yay, my gang beat those filthy goblins. Oh no: their leader is making a run for it and the two guards can't stop him on their own. Damn it, it was a trap all along!

5/10 Decent first scenario, nice and short, difficulty is appropriate.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Imho nothing needs to be changed.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Boss escaped.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1.10.7 Difficult

4. It's easy to lose the first time through but once you know the trick it's quite simple.

Clear.

Focusing a campaign on simple woodsman is an interesting idea, and the first scenario does do a decent bit of world building, but after beating the campaign I can't help but feel that this scenario was mostly filler.

The AI on the wolf riders is actually fairly impressive. The first four run interference for the leader who makes a beeline for the town. Of course once you figure out that you just need to get a single footpad far enough north to summon the town guard, and then footpad and the guards are enough to trap the leader and kill it, the scenario becomes fairly easy. Having only level 2s for enemies meant I took a few loses but the starting force was more then large enough to overwhelm them.

8. It's a gimmick scenario, but it's a short enough that it doesn't wear out it's welcome, and it requires some thought to do right.

It's fine as it is.

The first time I played this map I wasn't fast enough to stop the leader, although in part it was because I mishandled the town guards and didn't even attempt to trap the leader with their ZOC.
dabber

Post by dabber »

1.11.15 Fugitive (difficult)

3/10 It felt like I could lose, but there aren't enough enemies to make it actually tough. I had a bit of a shock when the wolves didn't take the bait I offered on turn 1 (footpad headed east to suicide).
Checking again, I won despite doing -19% damage. That's pretty bad rolling, yet it was still pretty easy.

Clear.

So far so good.

Got Harper killed once when they hit 3/3 against 70% on him.

7/10 Quite good for something short. Different, and different is good!

Nothing.

Harper died once
fareley

Post by fareley »

1.12.0 Hard no reloads

Very clear, catch the bad guys before they reach the end.

I'm fine with it.

Actually catching the riders. My initial approaches towards the east got rejected, but luckily I was able to catch up later.

6 - Once you catch the wolves you feel good, but other than that there is not much to it.

I think the scenario is good as it is.

At first I feared the engagement with the lvl 2 units, so I took a detour through the woods with my slow units. Never cought the riders.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Attachments
Liberty-The_Raid_replay.gz
(11.88 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1.13.6 normal

very

great start sets the pace

moving footpads into defensible spots while staying ahead of wolves

taunting by wolves or worry by home guards

no
Attachments
Liberty-The_Raid_replay.gz
lost 1
(11.27 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Difficult, 1.14.0

Very much.

It was interesting and clear.

-

-

No. I did reload once or twice, when I noticed that I had apparently positioned my units badly (which resulted in losing one for no other reason than me being stupid).
Attachments
Liberty-The Raid replay.gz
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear, make sure none of goblin riders tries to reach the village on north

- Pretty good start. We start off with a group of relatable characters looking like outlaws (they're villagers and neutral, not chaotic actually), who return from the hunt only to discover their village being raided by some goblins. As the raid is stopped, they want to know why kingdom doesn't care for them any longer.

- Trying to stop every goblin to try to reach the village

- None, this is a fine start to the campaign

- Nope, I managed to keep off the goblins well
YanTanTethera

Post by YanTanTethera »

Difficult, version 1.14.5.

Clear. Kill the riders before they reach the village of Dalben.

Both clear, both interesting. A hunting party makes a run for their village, trying to encircle and put down a bunch of goblin intruders.

A goblin pillager broke through my very thin line of Peasant Youths after killing two of them. Luckily the village guards could handle him.

At least a 7. It’s fun two chase down the riders – and let none escape.

It’s fine as it is, a speedy starter of an interesting campaign.

No, but I did not play the campaign for the first time.
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9, Fugitive (Difficult) (in Ironman mode), played several times
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2. Due to knowing the special rules. It would be much harder otherwise. Both the 2 extra units and the particular AI behavior are things a first time player probably wont know nor guess. AI neither attacks player outright nor does it focus (or its too stupid to do so?) on getting past the players units.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I am not sure which exact tile/s the enemies arent supposed to reach.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok. I think there is some dialog distinction between "all survive" and "1+ die" - does that have a gameplay effect too?
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
There should be a dialog to indicate that the player will get extra units due to warning the village.
Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
Liberty-The Raid replay.gz
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Fugitive (Difficult), 1.15.5
3, Not that difficult, but I lost some units.
clear
clear
attracting the attention of the pillagers
I played too defensive the first time. Hence, the pillagers reached the town.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.5, Outlaw (Normal), 1.15.6 Fugitive (Hard)

2, as long you know about ZoC and race for the village you pretty much can't lose.

Clear.

Clear. I like it, especially with the new lines.

No challenges

7, thanks for the backpack so I can throw more stones.

-

Scenario stats normal:
Spoiler:
Scenario stats hard:
Spoiler:
Attachments
Liberty-The Raid replay 20201018-131419.gz
Hard
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Liberty-The Raid replay 20201015-160331.gz
(11.91 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 11:40 pm The Raid is the starting scenario of Liberty. Tell us your opinion about it by answering these questions:

1. Normal Difficulty (the middle one), 1.15.11+dev
2. 3 (I mean after the rebalance to modify it to a Novice level campaign, it was slightly more doable.)
3. Crystal Clear
4. I like this campaign a lot since this is the only one where you play as actual outlaws or peasants who have to resort to law-breaking as they don't any other choice left. The first scenario does point out how little the Wesnothian Kingdom cares about the frontier villages.
5. The challenge was trying to encircle or trap the main target (Fal Khag) since he moves faster than most of the units in my given list. However, I got lucky when he just decided to move a few hexes near the middle portion of the map to get 50% def from a forest hex so I was able to encircle him. Another challenge was ensuring the hero Footpad stayed alive. I did try to get some XP into my units, however the scenario a little sooner than expected.
6. 8/10
7. Nothing. It's good as it is.
8. Not really, no.
Liberty-The Raid replay 20210325-164116.gz
(11.73 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1.15.14, Outlaw (Normal). Also sometime back in 1.12 or something.

Maybe a 4/10. Containing them while not putting Harper as a huge target is an interesting challenge.

Perfectly clear.

I'll say it at the start and at the end: The writing for this campaign as a whole is very strong. The characters are likeable and their personality comes through, especially in the pre-scenario story portions narrated by Baldras. This scenario sets the tone for a strong campaign.

Containing the wolves using mainly the footpads, including the mission-critical Harper. I also recall having played the hardest difficulty back when it had 9 scenarios, and the Goblin Knights and Pillagers gave me a lot of trouble back then. This Normal run was much more straightforward. Also, I would have lost if there hadn't been that last ZOC and kill made possible by the event.

9/10, we're straight into a fast-moving story here.

None!

No.
Attachments
Liberty-The Raid replay 20210622-173617.gz
1.15.14, Normal, English
(12.45 KiB) Downloaded 120 times