Scenario 3: Wasteland

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaiserdrache

Re: Scenario 3: Wasteland

Post by Kaiserdrache »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

2, but I was probably "cheating". Just called back 2 of my scouts and 4 level 2 archers. Then I lured the orcish army southwards with the scouts and approached the lvl 3 leader with my invisible archers. Finished up in turn 7 ;)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very clear, but not of interest.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Realising that a battle is completely avoidable.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

8 - call me assassin :D

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

No idea.
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine.

None.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing to say here.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's ok.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.10.7

Clear.

The writing continues to be fine with a few nice details, but at this point things are feeling rather repetitive. This is the third straight scenario in a row that basically goes, meet orcs, comment on how evil the orcs are, beat orcs, we need to keep going north.

Having no villages could have been problematic if the orcs recruited more forces, but as the scenario stands the orc leader had so little gold that I was able to both field more units then him, and have more level 2 units. Combined with forests to defend in, being smarter then an AI, and having a druid to heal my troops with, there weren't exactly any real difficulties to be found here.

4. Three maps in a row of orcs vs elves starts to get a bit tiresome, and the orcs barely put up a fight on this map.

The orcs are way to weak, at least for someone playing on hard difficulty.

No.
kiss

Post by kiss »

No specific comments on this one.

Turn 1, ..., 8: Over.

Fighter(beginner)1.10.7

Clear.

This time, I remember!
It's not a good idea to push over the hill, but help will be welcome, good timing in the story. The end is somehow frightening.

None.

Ok, it was interesting for me to experiment what I've discovered in the previous scenario, but what else?

I'm soo weak that it's ok like that!

None.

I Don't know.
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland_replay.gz
(14.45 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Normal) 188 Gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Clear

Good on both points

Avoiding carelessness

None

No
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland_replay.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(24.63 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Just funny playing only shamans to shydes strategy at hardest difficulty.
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland_replay.gz
(19.36 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1. Played on High Lord (Challenging), 1.12.1 English / 1.12.5 French shamans-only.

2. Difficulty: For the generic run, around 3 or 4/10, there's not really a problem just kiting orcs and picking them off. For shamans-only, 3/10 because permaslows.

3. Objective: We've had two of the same, this one's obvious by now. Kill The Orc.

4. Dialogue and narration are wonderfully flavourful in English. (Incapable of judging the French.) Good writing to alleviate the slight monotonicity of the campaign.

5. Challenges: Less (but still plenty) of forest, and zero villages. Coming in with no druids or levelling shamans might be a tad difficult, but definitely playable all the same. There are many ways to dance around the orcs in this scenario depending on unit composition and luck, and once again a good scenario for beginners I think. (A remark that holds for this campaign in general.)

Generic run: 118 gold to start. I did not expect my fighter to die turn 3, but oh well. Decent dodging the next turn made up for it. Having taken a 1-for-1 trade, we retreat the next turn and turtle through the night. The patches of forest impede the orcs (2 movement cost) and let us avoid major conflict at night, even defending on flat on turns 6 and 7 because no orcs are in range. Fodder units died, levelling units levelled, not a difficult challenge.

Shamans-only: 126 gold to start. The first scenario taught me how to approach this one: Slow everything in sight. And this time with level 2s right from the get-go. The orcs very kindly (stupidly) sent two level 2s right up to die during first watch, and when first contact is by elves slowing the orcs, success has been had. The main challenge is the RNG: Always playing to minimise potential losses, i.e. making sure there's a plan if the slowing attacks don't connect. Other than that, the dodginess of the elves and the roughly 1:1 unit ratio for both sides means more or less all orcs will be dead or slowed and the elves will be practically all safe. Bad play at turn 8 could've cost me a unit, but the scenario was already won at that point.

6. Fun: A bit less than the previous scenarios, it's more of the same but more of a stomp with our level 2s. 5/10?

7. Suggestions: Nope, none, but I'd like to remark the map looks good with the different flat and forest types closer to the orcish keep.
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland_replay.gz
Generic run, 1.12.1 hardest
(26.49 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
UIO-Désert_revoir_la_partie.gz
Shamans-only, 1.12.5 hardest
(21.3 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

1.12.6 Hard

1. Too easy! I killed the enemy king in the 11th turn while there were totally 24 turns. First, defend the enemies on the border of the forest. Then, move the elvish ranger near the castle and always hide in the forest. Finally, after the first wave of the enemies are cleared, rush to the enemy castle and kill the king.

Very clear.

Not very interesting. In fact, An Orcish Incursion is not a very interesting campaign: the stories, style of maps, tasks in different scenarios are nearly the same.

No challenge.

3. A plain easy war against the AI.

Maybe, we can change the style of the map. In different scenarios of the same campaign there should be different kinds of maps, like water map, snow map, cave map, mountain map and so on.

No.
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland_replay.bz2
(17.92 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.0 Hard

As clear as possible.

Clear and plain.

No challenges.

3. Get hit by a wave, make that wave disappear, don't trip up vs the enemy leader, win.

I do not know...I'm not exactly creative myself.

No.
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland replay.gz
(19.47 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Fighter (Easy)
3. Easy (2. When playing Shamans Only. Too Easy.)
Very Clear, not very original.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Straightforward. Perhaps the best intro in the campaign so far.
None.
6. Having no villages is an excellent idea - very instructive to novices - however the favorable terrain and abundant healers removed any real challenge.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give the orcs reinforcements. Returning scouts (wolf rider line) could appear at the northern edge every six turns or so.
Reduce the number of castle tiles Erlornas starts with to 4 or 5, to reduce accidental over recruiting and prolong the combat.

A more radical change would merge the best aspects of scenarios 2 & 3. Remove villages from the Assassins map, combine non-repeating story elements and remove the Wastelands scenario entirely. No villages + poison would hammer home the importance of healers. I think this is a clear case of less is more - I would rather have one challenging, instructive, story packed scenario than two average ones.
None.
Remarks:
These first three scenario feel monotonous, both story and combat differing only in subtle variations.
I over recruited - one castle-full - expecting a bigger battle than ever threatened to take place.
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland Shaman only replay.bz2
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
AOI-Wasteland replay.bz2
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- Easy, 1.14.5

- Simple, get rid of orcish warlord, but bit toughter this time

- Pretty interesting dialogue

- Making sure that my units were constantly by healers (had one druid and two shamans, of which one of them ended up becoming a sorceress) and also keeping healers safe

- None at all, I like it the way it is

- No
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

1.14.7 on High Lord/Challenging.
3. I started the scenario with almost as much gold as the enemy leader, despite finishing the last scenario with negative gold - although admittedly finishing quite early. I recalled only a Druid of my advanced units, and otherwise recalled and recruited a few level ones. Despite this, I was able to breeze through the scenario, losing only one Elvish Fighter, and advancing four units.

I lined up in the middle forest and allowed the orcs to attack me, where I had a clear terrain advantage. They threw themselves into this and I was able to cut them down easily, with my Druid and a Shaman providing all the healing I needed. By the end of turn eight, I had completely finished off the Orcish army, and despite some awful rolls, I won the scenario by turn ten.

The lack of villages was interesting, but with access to a Druid and Shamans I was able to have plenty of healing. The Orcs, on the other hand, have absolutely no healing, which means the lack of villages actually benefits the player. The income provided is enough to build a force large enough to win comfortably, and there's no real reason not to go into negative income when you have 100 gold coming in at the end of the scenario.
Crystal clear.
Clear, competent, dull.
None, really. The Warlord is tough to beat down on his castle but with access to specials like Slows, he doesn't present a threat either.
4. The lack of villages was interesting, but ultimately didn't affect the game much. The difficulty was a breeze, even with me making a couple of dumb decisions.
I'd reduce the starting income and expand the map, to really put the squeeze on the player monetarily, and encourage more aggressive play. I'd also give the Orcs access to Assassins, because having to worry about Poison would make the lack of villages a larger factor - though this, perhaps only on the higher difficulty.
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Elandorr

Post by Elandorr »

High Lord (Challenging) - 1.14

very clear

The whole story of the campaign is nice. Although simple, it's a good script the orcs destroiyng forests and elves fighting back.
Scenario 3 makes an important role, since I understand that it was the frontier between the total destruction caused by the orcs in one half of the map and a few remains trees on the other side (I didn't finish the campaign yet)

To establish a strategy that would keep my units alive and healthy, since I had scarce resources caused by the lack of villages (I really enjoyed this concept)

PS: I used healers, terrains advantages and defensive formations.

The lack of villages really engage me to focus on my strategy and it's was really fun. I made it on the first try without heavy casualties, so some additional units for the enemy would fit fell, however I understand that the campaign is for Novice Level and is not the purpose of it to be challenging.

No, the gameplay worked smoothly. nice job!