Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. Hard 1.1.1
2. 5, moderately challenging, considering the huge amount of crossbowmen and impalers.
3. Kill the orc, that was pretty clear.
4. An odd twist to the story, but it worked.
5. Fighting impalers and crossbowmen with knights... that's not pleasant.
6. 6.
7. I actually had to play it twice, the first time I split my forces and got my head handed to me on a platter. The second time it went smoothly. I'd say it's fine as is.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

- Easy 1.1.2a

- This map was tough, I had to take a break after getting beat four times in a row because I tried to be a smartass and cut across the mountains instead of going north. When I finally took my time going north and getting established there, I made it fine. It was very satisfying in the end.

- Very clear even if I chose to ignore them at first, lol

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It was ok, more depth to the story than just, look an orc, kill it!! wouldn't hurt.

- Realizing that sometimes taking your time to grow a strong force and base is better than making a beeline for the boss-guy!

- 9, I enjoyed it very much, although the third map is my favorite.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- More dialog exchanges between, the mayor, the two brothers, and the orc chief. The map itself is very good, I wouldn't change anything.
Quitch

Re: Two Brothers: 4. Return to the Village

Post by Quitch »

Easy, 1.1.7

Perfectly clear.

Dialogue was awful. Usual mix of poor wording, bad grammar, etc.

Meeting the orc threat from the mountains.

Get me stuck into the scenario earlier, rather than needing to trek North. Have me run across a skirmish or something.
elkine

Post by elkine »

(1) Easy 1.1.8
(2) 3, I found Guarded Castle harder
(3) Objective is clear
(4) Dialog is clear but not interesting at all
(5) The hardest thing for me was to hang on to the village just north of the center hills during the second night. But it was not that hard, and orcish forces were too close for their own good when dawn came :wink:
(6) 7, I enjoyed it (for example, I found the map very good), but it could be better
(7) I agree with Quitch that an earlier skirmish would be fun. Plus it would be during night so a little bit scary. Instead of saying right away that orcs are the problem (if I recall correctly), wait for the encounter with an orcish patrol around the first villages.

At the start, dialog could be
Bjarne: "Could we go a little faster? I've got a feeling something bad has happened!"
Arne: "We should arrive tomorrow and the village is well guarded, what could go wrong?"

After the skirmish,
Arne: "These orcs were really far from their mountains. Maybe you were right after all. Let's run to the village!"

Encounter with the mayor, no better idea for dialog

When closing in on the orcish leader,
Orcish leader: "You had a lot of luck defeating that dark mage. I expected that he would have killed you both. I guess that leaves the work to me!"

Last words from orcish leader,
"No, you can't stop me *now*, aaargh!" or something of that effect :-)
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1. Easy 1.1.9

2. 2. An absolute joke in terms of difficulty.

3. Quite clear.

4. In technical terms the writing was decent. Storyline wise it was horrible. The campaign was a string of 4 very loosely attached fights. None of the villains stood out at all, and the second and fourth maps could have been taken out without changing the story at all. The second and fourth were both random. They could be summed up as, we're chasing a necomancer so let's fight elves, and we've beaten our main enemy, but the campaigns to short so lets fight some random orcs.

5. The fog of war was the only thing that remotely hindered me. It was really a cakewalk.

6. 7. Despite the lack of difficulty it was quite fun. Me being new probally has something to do with it but being able to just dominate the foe was amusing.

7. To improve it I would make things more difficult, and make it so it storywise so the events have an actual significance.
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

(1) Hard 1.1.11
(2) 8. Loaded back a few turns a fair 4-5 times.
(3) Pretty clear
(4) Its ok
(5) Using knights against piercing units.
(6) 6. I didn't like how the allied leader at the top keep standing in the way of letting my arne sit there to recruit units
(7) Maybe let the players be able to take over the allied side so they can recruit units instead of having to move them all the way from the bottom starting keep.
Airk

Post by Airk »

ivanovic wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.12, Easy.
4. Even with my making several mistakes, splitting my party, being mistaken about the location of the 'village' and doing some pretty slipshod recruiting, I managed to plow through. Casualities were heavier than I'd have liked, but I'm reasonably comfortable I would've rolled it completely on a second try.
Moderately. I was initially confused about the location of the "village" since the fortified castle to the north didn't look much like one.
The storyline was okay. The dialogue had some pretty serious issues. Are you guys perchance looking for a dialogue editor? I'd be more than happy to go through this stuff and do anything between simple grammatical cleanup and total-flavor rewrites.
The limited unit choices became a problem - footpads do lousy damage, spearmen, bowmen, and heavy infantry take forever to reach the fight, horsemen are a bad matchup with most of the enemy units.
I was entertained, but didn't want to run out and play it again. 6.
Other than cleaning up the dialogue and clarifying the village location a little, I'm not sure there's much to be done. It's a meat and potatoes kind of scenario, and that's fine.

But you really do need to work on the dialogue, and I'd be glad to help.
talkitron

Post by talkitron »

Hard,1.1.12, but I played on easy a while back

2 Easy, no challenge
I had several leveled characters, including a level 3 royal guard
Arne leveled to Grand Knight during the conflict

I had played before, so I knew that my ally was up north

4, fond memories of the Return of the King

None, it was not challenging
By now I know not to charge piercing units (Goblin Spearmen) with cavalry
I had the calvalry take out non-spearmen, red mage, royal guard and a couple of new recruits handled the spearmen

7, nice end with a big battle

It is pretty good as it is
As always, if you have a lot of leveled characters it is too easy
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "Return to the Village" in January 2007.

(1) Easy "Horseman", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 4 (easy)
(3) I ignored the objective "Find out what is happening in the village", because it seemed obvious that orcs were attacking. I attacked the orcs, not knowing if that was my goal.
(4) There was almost no plot and dialog, except at the end when Arne states that he will always help his brother. Councillor Hoban never spoke, if I recall.
(5) I assumed that the orcs would not cross the mountains, but I was wrong and lost a Horseman holding a village. The entire scenario, I lost only two other units. Using my gold surplus (including the 100 from the chest in the last scenario), I recalled or recruited three groups of units: one to meet Hoban's forces, one to cross the mountains, and one to sneak around the right side of the map. The orcs imploded and that last group slew the leader.

Other than for two Lancers (level 2 Horsemen) and the blue shield units, I won this scenario with level 1 units.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

- Hard, v. 1.3.2

very

very

To be honest i was surprised to see how easy this level is... compared with the previous, and thinking that this is a final campaign scenario. No real difficult to reach the objective.

- Maybe the red mage should be only a regular mage, i think it is overpowered compared with the enemies. Also, the AI should be able to recruit at least 1 or 2 level 2 Orc Assassin, as lvl1 with a horseman during the day is too easy to kill...
ubr

Post by ubr »

- Easy, 1.2.6

- Very clear

- Clear

- none

- 9, we have allies!

- How about adding enemy castle so it's 2vs2.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

(1) Easy 1.3.7
(2) 10
(3) Clear
(4) Boring
(5) Kill the damn warlord who had 1 hp
(6) 1 if it was possible i might of put 2
(7) Give the longbowman level 2 units
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

1. Easy 1.3.9

2. 2, ran through it with no problems, though i did loose my lancer, but i had 4 level 2 units and 1 lvl 3 so it would ahve taken a lot of stupidity for me to loose

3. Clear, was a bit confused at beginning, just advanced really and almost charged in the orc main camp

4. Clear

5. None, had a tough time killing the grunts on the mountains but nothing major

6. 9, got to love killing orcs, plus i do like having allies in campaigns

7. Nothing really, found it a fun mission so no changes
Someone got to know me well, drowned me in their wishing well, making mistakes, we all do, worst of mine was trusting you a stranger
Anym

Post by Anym »

(1) Horseman (Beginner), 1.4, English [US]
(2) 4: I found it slightly easier than the previous one, but that will vary a lot depending on the amount of gold and units you take into this scenario, I guess.
(3) Mostly clear, but maybe there should be an indication where to find Hoban as I actually ran into orcs before running into him.
(4) Clear and uninteresting. Only very little dialogue to cringe about. No recognisable storyline whatsoever.
(5) Killing the Orcish Warlord who was the toughest creature I had encountered so far ever, this being my first campaign after the tutorial.
(6) 4: Bland, but not completely horrible. The previous scenario was the most entertaining of the campaign.
(7) Again there seems to be a geographical mess-up in that I return from north by northeast yet start the scenario to the south of the village I originally started out from. Also, I have a hard time recognising anything from the first scenario if it is indeed supposed to the same village, a village, I'd like to remark that was supposedly peaceful for generations before getting an evil mage and an orcish warlord in the same week. Speaking of the warlord, he is capitalised as "orcish Warlord" which looked a bit odd to me and should probably be either "Orcish Warlord" or "orcish warlord".

Some comments on the campaign as a whole: I didn't find it very good and hope it's not representative of the other campaigns. The tutorial suggests this campaign among others, but it's a huge step down from the quality of the tutorial IMHO. The scenarios aren't particularly interesting and teach new players hardly anything (if they are supposed to be a target audience as I was led to believe), the dialogues don't read like stuff people would say, the storyline is clichéd and doesn't make much sense.

The plot holes are bigger than the plot exposition: An evil mage comes to a peaceful village spreading havoc and despair for no apparent reason other than being generically evil and liking to spread havoc and despair and giving villagers a reason to raise up in arms against him. The local mage hires his brother to deal with the threat, although if the game hadn't told me, I would have never guessed that they have a common history at all judging from the way they talk to each other and that they look nothing alike. The fact that they're brothers could have had some potential, either by implying deep family bonds or a distant relationship and a brooding, unarticulated conflict. As it stands however, Arne could have just as well been a randomly hired mercenary, it wouldn't make any difference. Then, having actually assembled a strike force, Bjarn decides to split up the gang and try to take on the mage on his own, which makes me wonder why he bothered to call for help in the first place. Note that this is also a potential way in which the campaign might have evolved, Bjarn trying to take on the mage on his own, failing and getting himself captured and having Arne arrive only then to come to his rescue.

Anyway, Bjarn ends up captured, by whom ("Friends" of the evil mage? Where from did they all pop up all of sudden?) and why (Ransom or questioning both seem unlikely, although it would help if we knew why the evil mage was in the region in the first place. In fact, failing the third scenario seems to imply that Bjarn was just killed in his cell, making me wonder even more why he was captured and imprisoned in the first place.) is left in the dark. Arne chases the men only to be confronted by elves who seem to be motivated only by the prospect of being raised as undead. When did that become something to look forward to?! The enemies turn out to be a decoy (setting up an elaborate kidnapping with decoys and everything seems to require a damn good reason even more that the already questionable kidnapping) who nonetheless happily tells us everything before the local branch of Undead Smashers Inc. just happens to pass by and join you. With the information from the surprisingly helpful decoy you set out for another evil mage's castle, whose connection to the one from the first scenario isn't at all clear, in the hopes of finding some answers for this madness, albeit there are none. Returning, you find the previously peaceful village under attack by orcs who also were just passing through. You kill them and there was much rejoicing. The End. Did I miss anything? And this is a featured campaign?! You've got to be kidding me! Sorry if this sounds overly harsh, but you were asking for feedback and I tried to be as frank and as constructive in my criticism as I could. :(
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.