Scenario 3: Guarded Castle

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 3: Guarded Castle

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. Hard 1.1.1
2. 10... and it probably shouldn't be.
3. A little vague, but clear enough.
4. Clear, nothing amazing nothing horrible.
5. Fighting through the orc defenders, killing the necromancer, and then finding and getting the hero to the prison in the alotted time... simply put, there was not enough time to do all of that.
6. 7. It was fun, drawing out the defenders and taking them on... but there just isn't enough time.
7. Having to remember the password from last scenario was a nice touch. It was a little odd they were human guards though. I got the first password right, got the second one wrong because I wanted to kill them for the experience...
That slowed me down by a turn or two... but even if I had answered both correctly there was no way I had enough time to finish the scenario.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I solved some things:
1) Now the guards are not loyal units anymore but mainly Bandits. This should better fit the into the situation.
2)I also gave the player a bonus of 6 turns to free Bjarn after the leader is killed. This should also help and reduce frustration in this scenario.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Easy, 1.1.2a (and an earlier version)
4 or 5. Not hard so much as needing to be careful.
So-so.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, so-so for interesting, the guard bit was the only memorable dialogue in it.
Keeping units alive while fighting inside the fortress with no healers or villages nearby for healing (Didn't get Arne leveled to Paladin).
5 - Probably the least fun scenario in the set, but not to the point of being a bad one.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
One of the following:
A) Make it so that whoever kills the Dark Sorceror is the person who can open Bjarn's cell. Might be problematic if that guy gets killed though.
B) Make it so that anyone can open the cell after the Dark Sorceror gets killed. This one is probably the least realistic but easiest to do.
or C) Do something to make it highly desirable to have Arne in that vicinity in the first place. Perhaps by giving more of chance for him to level up in previous scenarios so that he becomes a Paladin and is wanted for healing, but there's always the chance that someone would level him to Grand Knight instead.
Even given enough time, it's kind of boring if you have to spend several turns moving Arne across the map when all the bad guys are dead, as I had to the first time I played this scenario.
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

Easy, 1.1.2a. I loved this map!

5, surprisingly not very, It looked like it would be tough, but I made it on my first playthrough with no problems. Knowing how to manipulate my damage through the time of day-night made a huge difference on this one, I hung back at night and charged during the day, very exciting!

Also the map had a whole RPG-exploration thing going on that I really enjoyed.

Very clear, and the password thing caught me off-guard, I had to rack my brains but I passed it.

The Dark mage should explain himself a bit more, I don't like villain's expositions any more than the next guy, but there seems to be a slight theme of bad guys doing bad stuff for no reason during this whole campaign.

Hmm nothing major really, everything went through smotthly.

10, very fun

Like I said above, more dialog from the dark mage, he is the boss villain after all, we went though a lot of trouble to get to him, least he can do is entertain a bit.
Quitch

Re: Two Brothers: 3. Guarded Castle

Post by Quitch »

1.1.7, Easy

Perfectly clear.

Dialogue as bad as ever, though I liked being tested to remember the passwords, which I of course hadn't paid the slightest bit of attention to. Props for that.

Remembering the damn passwords :)

Good variety of play in this one, including the dialogue game.

Was the fortress a cave? If it was I didn't notice. It uses the cave tiling, but this wasn't explained, and if it isn't a cave then this might well confused people as this flooring has different meaning in other campaigns.
zol

Post by zol »

medium, 1.1.7

A minor point (or two).
When the shroud was lifted from the 'gate', the pathfinder revealed that the tile could not be occupied. I therefore had no reason to stand next to it, except when I had to hurry up and try anything that might do something, and I sent units racing to uncover every other bit of shroud, too, just in case the trigger was something else.
Either provide a reason for standing there, or put the trigger along the adjacent passageway where the unit will go next.

It was also unclear whether the finder of the key had to go to the cell as well. The objective didn't say so, but common sense suggested that I'd better play it safe.
I would make whichever unit finds the key be the one to go; It doesn't matter much if the dialogue occurs between distant characters. That happens in other campaigns anyway - we're used to it.
finite, infinite, definite
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1. Easy V 1.19

2. 6. One getting past the get was tricky but the rest was easy.

3. Pretty clear. Always had a good idea of what I needed to do.

4. The writing was decent, but the storyline itself was bad. It was clear that the only purpose of the story was to link four battles together, and that it really wouldn't be going anywhere intresting.

5. The major challange was getting past the gate without loosing any of my higher experience units. I had tried twice taking bad loses each time, but the third time I realized something that probally would have been obvious if I wasn't new to the game, and that was I have about 500 gold to start, shouldn't I be using it to get some cannonfodder. After doing that it was smooth sailing.

6. 6/10. Fighting past the gates was fun, but the rest of the castle was kind of boring, as the enemy only managed to send two or three more skeletons after me, which left a lot of empty space. The end was once again very slow as I had to bring my leader all the way from the fort to the prison cell.

7. The main thing I'd do is make it so any unit could unlock the door once the necromancer is dead. By that point, there should be little oppostion left so why drag it out.
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

(1) Hard 1.1.11
(2) I'll give it a 7 out of 10 for difficulty, in that I loaded back a few turns 2 or 3 times. Once you figure out that you shouldn't challenge the orc guards and skeles at the same time though, it's not that tough.
(3) The scenario objective stated that you need to use the key to open the cell. It took awhile for me to understand that the green portal thing is somehow the cell.
(4) Rudimentary stuff.
(5) The major challenge was keeping my 4 knights and 1 paladin alive. With abit of management it was a breeze.
(6) 7. Yea its pretty good.
(7) I dont know what I'd change. It's good as it is.
talkitron

Post by talkitron »

Hard, 1.1.12

4, I recruited the knights and a horsemen or two close to leveling from the last scenario, and a bandit and a swordsman. These were enough to slaughter the enemies; the orc fighters were easy targets for charging knights, and by fighting in the day the skeletons could be defeated by grunting it out

Not very, again you rush in there and are lost until you meet up with the mage in his cell

Better than most, I enjoyed the slight humor about the passwords at the beginning; I said the passwords and didn't fight the guards

Preventing leveled unit loss due to carelessness in fighting skeletons when low on hit points; I didn't have too many units

I haven't played the next scenario on hard difficulty yet, but the early finish bonus was only 10 per round, which will make the next scenario difficult

7, enjoyable and easy

Nothing I can think of, if you hit some villages from the last scenario you should have some gold, leveled units are important, level 1 guys are not going to win here against the level 2 orcs. Maybe some text should emphasize that.
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "Guarded Castle" in January 2007.

(1) Easy "Horseman", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 4 (moderately easy)
(3) The plot continues from the previous two scenarios, so I
(4) The need to know the passwords originally wrecked my campaign. This time, I memorized correctly both passwords.
(5) I had to explore an unfamiliar map, and wasted two units examining the areas to the west and east of the castle. Later, I unexpectedly had to use several more turns to move Arne to Bjarn, but fortunately I had enough turns left in the timer.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

- Hard v. 1.3.2

- 9, i haven't much gold from the previous scenario and no many units leveled up, hopefully some units were loyal so they have not cost at the start of the turn... i finished the scenario having only 3 units left...

- very

- clear

- as i said before, i haven't leveled units from previous scenario, and only 100 gold at the scenario start. Too many enemies, maybe it would be better to put some friendly unit in one of the village to join the army...

- 9, at least is challenging

-
cph

Post by cph »

1) Hard, 1.3.4
2) 7
3) Clear, although I almost messed up by heading towards the mage's cell on turn 21, only to realise I had to go back and kill the lich.
4) Okay
5) First attempt I made a mess of it - let the enemy get into the gatehouse and they are too expensive to dislodge. Second attempt I did much better, managing to seize the gatehouse and so fight from the best terrain.

Second attempt came unstuck because I sent a unit off to explore the passages of the castle, while I merely defended the gatehouse against the continual stream of skeletons. Of course, since I sent my unit to the right, never saw the mage and I lost.

Third attempt, played aggressively from the gatehouse and threw everything into attacking the undead - completed without major problem.

6) 7
7) Seems odd that the enemy would let you seize the gatehouse - although the level would be much harder if the orcs started in the fortified tiles.
Last edited by cph on August 25th, 2007, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudointellectual

Post by Pseudointellectual »

(1) Easy! 1.2.6.
(2) This wasn't too bad. It got messy inside the cave because I'm terrible at position, but once I deployed some footpads I cleaned house.
(3) Pretty clear, though I had a hard time realizing that the Prince wasn't in the Keep where I'd defeated the boss and had to explore the cave more.
(4) I liked it fine.
(5) My own inexperience, mostly. :p
(6) 7 I think.
(7) Honestly, I think it was fine.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

(1) Easy 1.3.7
(2) 2
(3 Clear
(4) Good
(5) The first time find bjarn
(6) 9
(7) Cant think of any.
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!