Scenario 2: The Chase

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 2: The Chase

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Condor

Post by Condor »

(1) Easy
(2) 3
(3) Not very, i got confused because i did not realize the upper part of the map was not yet explored, so i just killed everything and ran to the upper part of the map, and only then i understood.
(4) I can't understand why the elves would be so aggresive, WE COME IN PEACE! Sure, they may be a bit xenofobic but this appeared weird to me.
(5) No major challenges, use a little healing from villages. I played with pure horsemen, lancers and knights.
(6) The hunt really was on, so (7).
(7) Make a real road in the middle of the map, a road your horsemen can run through. It may meander around a bit. Then create ambushes of mixed types of units. Reduce the maximum amount of turns as well, to really push the player. Maybe even show him the dark adept moving slowly away. The hunt is the really nice part of the scenario, it may get better if you can actually see your target slipping from your grasp while you are held back by pesky ambushes.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. Hard 1.1.1
2. 4. Surprisingly easier than the first scenario. Killing elf scouts in a single charge never gets old.
3. Very muddled. More dialogue explaining the goal is not to kill the elf leader and updated objectives after the discovery of the undead convoy are recommended.
4. Again fast... quick and to the point.
5. Trying to keep anyone alive... the fast moving elf riders easily picked off anyone who dropped below half HP... ended the scenario with 3 knights and 1 spearman... And the wose... hello 60% pierce resistance and ALL my units deal pierce damage!
6. 5. It was alright, not being able to move wounded units out of the line of fire was kind of annoying.
7. Definite changes to help clear up the objectives would be nice.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

SmokemJags wrote:Definite changes to help clear up the objectives would be nice.
I did just add such a clarifications after seeing the Dark Adept. Now you get new Objectives. This should help to see what is needed.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Easy & Hard, 1.1.2a as well as an earlier version. Beaten it only on Easy.
6+ - Has to be played carefully, bad moves make it easy to lose units, including Arne.
The first time I played it, I thought I just had to kill the elf.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's okay, but I don't really know what the elf's motives for wanting to kill me are. Is he just mad that his forest has been trespassed on, or is he in league with the kidnappers? Might not be reasonable for more explaination to be added, I suppose.
Fighting elves in an environment where they have the advantage, fast enemies ganging up on a single unit.
7, I suppose
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Unsure. The end of the scenario was rather anticlimactic, but I wouldn't want it to be too hard when my troops are already beat up by elves, either.
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

Easy, 1.1.2a

5, it was easier than the first one, though I had to restart a copule times.

Hm Id give it a 7, it was clear that I had to find the mage, it was clear that the dark mage was somewhere in the north of the map, but my thought process went something like, so where is he?? Why can't I find him? (move map around) Where the #$%@ is the mage? wtf?!?... oohh that dark part is UNEXPLORED, ok now I get it..

Needs explanation why the elf attacks you. A necromancer with a van of undead rotting corpses from hell doesn't bother him.. but a couple guys on horseback, that crosses the line. Interesting..

Dealing with the restricted movement through the trees and the elf's resistances int he forest.. I felt it could have been commented upon a little more by the knight, to point it out to the new player, but nothing critical.. it was fun to figure that out.

9, it was very fun calculating my path through the trees.

I would not change it significantly other than jsut adding al ittle more dialog between knight and elf. It was well done overall.
Quitch

Re: Two Brothers: 2. The Chase

Post by Quitch »

Easy, 1.17

IIRC, the objective was to push North, but killing their leader revealed a new objective... uh...

The dialogue remained pretty bad and I had no idea why the elves were fighting me.

None.

The mission represents an interesting change of pace thanks to the terrain layout. It gets a little dull towards the end when your slower units get bogged down in the terrain a mile from your objective.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?[/quote]

Make it clearer what I'm doing, and why part of the map is black.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1. Easy v 1.19

2. 6. Much tougher then first map for me.

3. The objective was somewhat unclear. Being new to the game I didn't know the top part of the map was shrouded, so I thought that all I had to do was bring my leader to the north edge of the map and that would complete the scenario. Once I got him there and could see further north it became what I needed to do became clear.

4. The elf's motives were rather unclear. Upon his death he said something that sounded like come back as a undead later which probally has something to do with his motives, but its still unclear exactly what caused him to attack. The whole map really felt like a flimsy excuse to have the player fight elves. Of course it all might make more sense after I complete the later maps, so I'll have to see what happens.

5. The first problem I had, was it took me a while to realize that the footpads that worked well on the first map were a bad idea. I did lose the first time around though, and that was due to letting my leader get attacked a lot because I wasn't careful enougth about the long range a scout can move.

6. 7. Its rather fun map as I would basiclly weaken the scouts, before I had my horseman charge and have their massive damage finish things off. Killing the elven rider was rather sastifying as he was a big component of my first defeat. The ending part however was not so fun, see my answer for more.

7. The northen part of the map needs to be compressed. After defeating the elves, it took me quite a few boring turns to spot the adept and get my units from the south side of the river where I defeated the elves all the way north to the undead. If the distance was shorter it would have been better.
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

(1) Hard 1.1.11
(2) about 6. I did a couple of loads mainly due to having to take out an Elvish Hero(or was it a marshal) straight away with almost nothing reliable other than lucky footmen charges.
(3) I actually didn't realise that there was more unexplored territory to the north, and just though I'd completed the mission once I place Arne in the upper keep.
(4) To be blunt, the last bit felt pretty dumb. So I kill the necromancer and he volunteers to give me the passwords? WHAT? As long as I memorise them they don't even affect the next stage. Remove this unnecessary thing...
(5) Didn't know there was more stuff after you kill off the elves
(6) 7. Pretty fun killing elves with horsemen charges
(7) Err, it's pretty ok.
talkitron

Post by talkitron »

Hard 1.1.12

8, I had to restart a bunch, and then I went and replayed the first scenario to start the Chase with more gold

Not very, it is not clear you need to get to the end and kill the dark mage by round 24

Not very interesting; the elf leader had some spiel and the dark mage said something, but it is all pretty boring

Getting rid of the 2nd level elvish fighter at the start is hard. You need to lure him out of the trees to near the keep and hit him with archers; but by then it is dark and he can hit back with his bow. Meanwhile scouts flock down to assasinate your troops.

At this point, if you have a lot of units and hit points left, there is not much challenging left to do. Mark up north and gang up on each elf.

The wose needs a swordsman, knight or other leveled unit with a blade weapon, as other weapons are not very effective. But I had a swordsman, so no trouble for me.

6 - it is a good challenge, but can also be annoying because of the assasination by scouts.

Get rid of opening elvish 2nd level fighter type.
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "The Chase" in January 2007.

(1) Easy "Horseman", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 3 (easy)
(3) I rode north seeking Bjarn! The objective fits with the storyline.
(4) This was interesting... elves working with undead. I had not expected to fight elves, this campaign.
(5) I recruited 9 Horsemen on the first turn, then charged north. The only major challenge was finding the best way to position my Horsemen and retreating wounded Horsemen to villages. The elvish leader killed a Horseman, and the Dark Adept almost killed another Horseman, but their advances made it easy for me to kill them.
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

1.3 Hard
I found it very hard, i cannot survive for more than 5-10 turns. I can kill their horsemen with my horsmen in a single strike if lucky, mostly they miss like idiots. But the main problem is their lvl 2 hero at the beggining. he kills at least 3-4 of my men, and by the end of 5-10 turn i loose my hero. I find this map rather too hard, because the first scenario in this campaign was really too easy. And this map really jumps off the first one.

Clear as day
I dont give a [censored] about the storyline, its ok
To survive without geting my hero killed. He is too weak Three of their archer horsmen can kill him in one turn, what kind of wimp is he?

Make it easier
freddf

Post by freddf »

1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, v1.2.1
9-10.
It seems that it is possible to pursue the dark adept, but I completely missed this option. So I would say “not entirely� clear. :-)
See suggestions below.
Same as many others: The Elvish Heroes and the Wose to a lesser degree because then you have some leveled units.
It has some nice points, such as the starting fort that offer a better protection and allows to lure elves out of the forest. But dealing with elvish heroes from the beginning is too painful.
The Elf leader could challenge Arne only after some unit venture into the forest. And, as others said, it would be nice to actually see the dark adept fleeing through the forest all the way to incite the player to make a chase, or at least hint on it. Otherwise it gives more impression of “survival� since there are enemy units that are really close from the start. I didn’t even realised that it was possible to chase the kidnappers before reading some posts on this forum’s thread.
The motivations of the elves to let the kidnappers pass are also a bit unconvincing. What can possibly they have/fear from black mages/skeletons to be persuaded so easily in such numbers? Unless they are dark elves of course :-) but even then. May be they can be changed to orcs instead? Then it will also make their later appearances in mission 3 and the attack on the village in mission 4 more logical: as a retribution/vengeance. Then the whole “persuasion� scene may be show to the player: The dark adept flees though the forest, the player catches up, the orc leader appears, the dark adept offers a deal that the orcs (gladly) accept. Or it could have been done before, then, when one of the players unit is less than 2 full moves from the dark adept, Arne may say something like “surrender, you can’t flee� and the dark adept will reply “That what you think, I have allies in this forest� and the orcs come.

There is a small technical glitch: the mini map is distorted (stretched). May be some black borders can be put around the map to make it more proportional.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

- Hard, v. 1.3.2

very

very

Turns are not enough to make a perfect strategy, so some units have to be exposed to the enemy and often dies... or the turn runs out if you are too cautious. I reached the top of the map with 3 turns left, and with 3 units only, the other were behind and couldn't reach the top part in time. Anyway i did it.

-
cph

Post by cph »

1) Hard, 1.3.4
2) 6
3) Okay, although initially I was expecting to have more of a race to catch up with the kidnappers.
4) Okay.
5) Mounted elves in woodland running rings around me, with bows so they can pick off my cavalry easily. That elven hero is tough too, since he's bound to stay in wooded tiles & has good melee and ranged attacks.
6) 4
7) -