Difficulty settings

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Guillaume

Difficulty settings

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,

Either I'm a really bad player, or we don't have the same notion of difficulty.
When I suggested to include a difficulty setting, with an easy, normal and hard level, I thought that normal was the difficulty existing before "difficulty setting" was added, hard would have been harder, but easy should be really easier.

The result is when I tested the 0.4.4 version, I couldn't even finish the first level in easy mode. I only tried 3 times, but each time, the wolf riders are killing all the small troup that I can recruit.

Before "difficulty setting" was added, the ennemy have had few units, and I thought that in easy level, they would have had less, or at least less gold, but it's the opposite, they have many more powerful units.

There already had a discussion about the "fun" of a game, but with these difficulty settings, the game lost a little bit of his fun.

Guillaume
miyo

Post by miyo »

The idea in first scenario is to escape, run for your life. If you can beat the enemies why would you escape? Avoid fighting, use recruited units to defend Konrad and Delfador and run for you life to north-west sign.

- Miyo
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Well,

once again you're right, I haven't seen the situation like this.

thanks.
Guillaume
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Indeed, it is important to understand the objectives of each scenario. Not all scenarios involve you having to defeat all the enemies outright. In particular, you will have great difficulty with scenarios 1, 7, and 9 if you attempt to defeat all your enemies.

Perhaps we should put in a tutorial level which demonstrates the notion of not being victorious outright.

If you don't understand precisely what the scenario objectives are from the storyline, you can right-click and select 'Scenario Objectives' to see a summary recap of what the objectives for that scenario are.

In the case of scenario 1, it is,

Victory:
Move Konrad to the signpost in the north-west
Defeat:
Death of Konrad
Death of Delfador
Turns run out

So all you have to do is get Konrad up there. Miyo is right, just shield him with some elvish fighters, or behind your allies, and it shouldn't be so hard.

I have made sure it is easy by completing the first scenario without hiring any soldiers at all. You can see a replay of my game at http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/files/Scenario1-easy

(Just place this into your saves directory, $HOME/.wesnoth/saves in Linux, and then load it and put view replay. It should work in version 0.4.5).

David
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Well,

I followed miyo tips, and I can get the first and second scenario completed in the first try.
In fact, I knew the objective but before difficulty settings, I could get the level completed with very few unit lost and experienced units. I tried to to the same with the last version, but it's almost impossible.

But with your advices, the game retrieve his "fun" :D