BUILD/SDL Install issue on Windows/cygwin...

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
accursed

BUILD/SDL Install issue on Windows/cygwin...

Post by accursed »

I am trying to build wesnoth on windows for the first time (I have previously built it on Red Hat 9). I am not entirely sure how to set up the SDL libraries on windows. I am attempting to build using cygwin and the current cvs source tree on my new Windows XP notebook (Athlon XP 2500CPU, Radeon IGP 320M display adapter)

In any case, the error output is here:
I understand that it wants me to install SDL, and it indicates I should put it on the path. I have SDL-devel-1.2.6 binaries unpacked in C:\lib\SDL-1.2.6

I have tried adding the SDL-devel-1.2.6 directory above to the PATH, also adding the subdirectores lib and include to the path, ensured that no spaces precede them in the path etc. None of this seems to work. I also tried building SDL from source (figuring the make install would solve this) unfortunately, the SDL build fails as well (actually it *also* won't configure).

I figured someone might know a bit about this, and once I understood this issue, I probably could figure out other SDL related ones such as ttf etc.

In any case, here's the output, not much more info than above, but perhaps I am missing something else.

-regards

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking for sdl-config... no
checking for sdl11-config... no
configure: error: *** SDL not found! Get SDL from http://www.libsdl.org.
If you already installed it, check it's in the path. If problem remains,
please send a mail to the address that appears in ./configure --version
indicating your platform, the version of configure script and the problem.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Configure get the location of SDL libs using sdl-config, a small program included in the SDL devel package, try putting it in your path somewhere...
IIRC nobody had compiled wesnoth in windows using cygwin :-) so be the 1st one
accursed

Interesting.

Post by accursed »

The file sdl-config is only present in
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel ... w32.tar.gz
not in the download
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel-1.2.6-VC6.zip

I appreciate the comment, because I was using the latter rather than the former, and thus couldn't even find sdl-config.

I'll post back later if I manage to get things going with cygwing.
accursed

Building Wesnoth on Windows...

Post by accursed »

Please pardon my continued ignorance here, but I can't seem to get SDL configured/built properly even with the assistance above. There seems to be lots of SDL sites, and I have been pouring over them, however I can't seem to find simple instructions on building the required SDL libraries (I am still using Cygwin).

I am curious if anyone has interest in assisting me building Wesnoth on Windows XP (I guess I don't need to use Cygwin). As a side product, we could in the process come up with step-by-step compile instructions for building Wesnoth that includes setting up SDL, and add it to the site. I am flying about this week, but I should have connectivity to check back on this thread should interest arise.

Any help is appreciated in advance.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

MAybe this could help you http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/200 ... 42857.html
There are other messages in the SDL mailing list about that isssues.. google them
Sorry but it seems that there isnt many cygwin experts here I hope that you could resolve the issues :-)
For autotools problems you could contact with ziberpunk or wait until Dave could get more time in his (newly married) hands to answer you.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I have only been able to get Wesnoth compiled for Windows using MS VC++6. If you can get it compiled using gcc on Windows, please let us all know how to do it! ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
accursed

OK, thanks.

Post by accursed »

Unfortunately I am a bit busy at the moment, but when, not if, I figure this out, I will inform everyone else.

I truly do appreciate the pointers and help all.
-accursed
Guillaume

Compilation with cygwin

Post by Guillaume »

Hi accursed,

I've already tried to compile BFW with cygwin, and you can find the result in this post:

http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... =2757#2757

Unfortunately, I can't achieve it :cry:

Guillaume