Game portability

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
starfiretbt

Game portability

Post by starfiretbt »

Is there a way to install the game so it is contained in a single folder that can be moved around? I have all my games in a game folder that I can move around if I move to a new computer But "Battle for Wesnoth" wants to be installed which means I have to reinstall the game if I move to a new computer. That can be a problem as there are a few programs I have to reinstall every time I move and it would be nice to keep that list as small as possible to minimize work.
Portability also makes it easier to keep track of a game when it's moved around, having it installed means pieces of the game are all over my computer. I know of the main folder the game is kept and I know that saved games are stored in "my documents" but what other locations do I have to worry about on my computer?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Game portability

Post by Pentarctagon »

You could download it as a zip from itch.io.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
starfiretbt

Post by starfiretbt »

That worked. The game did not need to be installed like the other versions I have played. The game still does exist in more than one place as part of it is in my documents but when I back up my computer or move I would be moving those files with my games anyway so two places isn't too bad.
starfiretbt

Post by starfiretbt »

I see an option to "browse this location using a file manager" but is there an option to set the location? Just in case directories change and the game can't find the files it needs, plus it would give the option to keep the game all in one place if I can move them.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

starfiretbt wrote: October 14th, 2021, 8:17 pm I see an option to "browse this location using a file manager" but is there an option to set the location? Just in case directories change and the game can't find the files it needs, plus it would give the option to keep the game all in one place if I can move them.
There is a command-line option that you can use to set the location. For example:

Code: Select all

cd FOLDER-WHERE-YOU-INSTALLED-WESNOTH
wesnoth.exe --userdata-dir .\userdata
That will place all your preferences, saves, add-ons, etc. in a folder named userdata. This is not really recommended because, depending on where you have installed Wesnoth, you might have trouble writing files to that location without using an administrator account (whereas the Documents folder is always supposed to be writeable). But it should work if your account has write access to that location.