Images look filtered and fuzzy when zoomed in + audio glitch

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
KyrosDrakon

Images look filtered and fuzzy when zoomed in + audio glitch

Post by KyrosDrakon »

Hello. I have just downloaded and installed this game recently and began playing. I have already noticed a couple of bugs that I think might be specific to my computer as I have not really found anyone else mentioning it in my searches. I have posted my specs below.

1) When I zoom in during a game using the “+” and “-” keys to the closest setting the graphics of the images look like they are behind a filter. I was looking for a display setting in the game to change this but I couldn’t find anything. I also looked through some settings for my Radeon graphics card but nothing I tried worked. I want to make the images look like the original pixel art instead of the filtered scaling and smoothing that I see happening to the character units. The background and terrain looks fuzzy and I can see some overlapping between the hex tiles. The hex tile images don’t blend together like they should. I have provided some images below to show what I see. Also note that the elf in the last picture shifts up one tile when fully zoomed in even though she is actually supposed to be standing on the tile below that one.

The First picture is from A Tale of Two Brothers. The second picture is from To Lands Unknown because I needed a light color background to more easily show the tile glitch. The last 2 pictures are from Elvish Dynasty RPG.

2) As soon as I booted up the game I noticed that the music and audio was glitching and crackly. I looked in the audio settings and couldn’t find anything to change this. This is the only game on my computer doing this. I rebooted my computer but it still does this every time I open the game and lasts for the entire time I have the game open.

3) This is not really a glitch but rather a quality of life concern. I tried to find a setting that would change the size of the text in the game to be much larger. The text is small and hard to read and I find myself having to lean in close to the screen in order to read the dialogue. Is there anyway that I could make the text in this game appear larger?

Thank you for your time. Please let me know if you can help me solve these bugs. I really want to play this game.

The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.14.17
Running on Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0.19042)
Distribution channel: SourceForge
GPU Radeon RX 580 Series
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz
Motherboard ASRock A320M/ac

BFW 1.png
BFW 2.png
BFW 3.png
BFW 4.png
KyrosDrakon

Re: Images look filtered and fuzzy when zoomed in + audio glitch

Post by KyrosDrakon »

Update 1

1) I installed Wesnoth version 1.15.15 to see if there were any noticeable differences and the blurred filtered pixels are gone when zoomed in at max. The artwork for both the units and background look like the original crisp pixel sprites. Heroes still float above their tiles however as you zoom in closer.

2) I solved the sound issue by plugging my headphones directly into my PC’s audio jack. I had my headphones plugged into an external sound card audio interface called Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and I think that's what was causing a delay and stuttering in the audio.

BFW 5.png
BFW 6.png
BFW 7.png
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Images look filtered and fuzzy when zoomed in + audio glitch

Post by Pentarctagon »

There are unfortunately multiple bugs related to zooming in (and out). The issue with units not appearing on the right hex was actually reported recently as well as #5974.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code