Lich/Ghost flicker bug

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Britannicus

Lich/Ghost flicker bug

Post by Britannicus »

Hey, I was playing Isle of the Damned yesterday and encountered a weird little graphical bug.

When the northern Lich recruited a ghost, it's sprite was replaced with the Lich's on and off, around once every two seconds for a few frames. The bug persisted during the next turn after the ghost had started moving.

I am playing the Steam version with the latest update.
sachinkhanna48

Re: Lich/Ghost flicker bug

Post by sachinkhanna48 »

i encountered same bug
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I ran into something similar a few days ago. I have a custom unit with the Dwarvish Runesmith as a [base_unit], so it has the standing 'bob' animation, and another unit with the same image as the White Mage (not a [base_unit] though). Once, when I started a scenario with both of them in it, it looked like one of the frames in the Runesmith's bob was replaced with the White Mage image. I quit back to the title screen, refreshed (f5) and reloaded the scenario, and the problem was still there. Then I restarted the entire game and the bug was gone.

I didn't bother reporting it, since I have no way to reproduce it. Out of curiosity, I used :choose_level to skip to Isle of the Damned, but nothing unusual happened there.

I'm playing on windows 10, and like the OP, BfW 1.14.3 from steam.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Samonella wrote: July 21st, 2018, 11:04 pm Out of curiosity, I used :choose_level to skip to Isle of the Damned, but nothing unusual happened there.
Same here. I haven't been able to reproduce this so far.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

This happened again today. Still nothing to really go on, but I have a little more information, and screenshots.

This time I have 2 types of units, one is based off the Silver Mage, one off the Elvish Ranger. A had a couple of each at the start of the scenario, and all the Elvish Ranger's pictures were replaced with the Silver Mage ones. Still just a single frame of the standing animation swapped out, but this time the standing animation only has one frame. (It's just the default animation of course, I didn't actually make a [standing_anim]).
Bugged screenshots:
Like before, quitting to title screen didn't fix it, but quitting the game entirely did.
Screenshot after re-load:
I also have the save, but I doubt that's any use.

EDIT: As an afterthought, both times I encountered this were after many times tweaking the scenario, refreshing at the title screen and re-opening it. Could easily be coincidence, but it also makes sense if it's some part of some cache getting messed up after running wesnoth for hours straight.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Samonella wrote: July 24th, 2018, 8:40 pm both times I encountered this were after many times tweaking the scenario, refreshing at the title screen and re-opening it. Could easily be coincidence, but it also makes sense if it's some part of some cache getting messed up
I've done the same thing without seeing a bug like this, but you can find out for sure by deleting the cache under Preferences-->General-->Cache.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide