Invisible/1-pixel-tall health and experience bars

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
levstk

Invisible/1-pixel-tall health and experience bars

Post by levstk »

Running Windows 7 SP1 and Wesnoth version 1.14.0 and the issue is there in the Steam version as well. All game settings are at default.

The health and experience bars are missing, or maybe just shrunk to 1 pixel high? I have a screenshot of what it looks like. I'm assuming this isn't intentional.

[Edited thread title to be a little more descriptive, it was “UI issues?” previously. ― shadowm]
Attachments
Capture41.PNG
Capture41.PNG (57.15 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Bitron
Developer

Re: UI issues?

Post by Bitron »

The XP bar is only visible when the unit got XP from a fight. The health bar is somewhat scaling with the amount of HP. Do the units have usual amounts of HP?
levstk

Post by levstk »

Yes, normal amounts, I noticed a little line where the experience bar should be as well, but it was also only 1 pixel tall. Here's what it looks like, with a bit more detail. I did try with the last dev version I happened to have installed as well (1.13.6) and there's no problem there.
Attachments
Capture42.PNG
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

Not a trace of health bars.
1280 x 738 (windowed). 1.14.1. Windows (I told it's windowed!) 7.
I had the latest version of Wesnoth on Mac a week or two ago, it was okay. I believe that was 1.14.0 though.

liminal unit
enclave

Post by enclave »

when i see posts like this, i feel myself really happy.. i have health and xp bars ;)
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

When I see bugs like these, I feel really happy thanking God I'm not the maintainer of this.

Ah. Yeah. The trace. These grey... things... are health and exp boxes. Unfilled.
enclave wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm when i see posts like this, i feel myself really happy.. i have health and xp bars ;)
What OS is your Wesnoth running under?

My friend says the issue doesn't reproduce under Manjaro Linux, so I believe it's kind of Windows based problem. See, the topic starter has Win7 SP1 so do I.

[Merged 5 consecutive posts. ― shadowm]
liminal unit
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I have looked at and tested Wesnoth a bit on Wine and Windows 10 1709 and 1803 and haven’t experienced this issue. We’d certainly know if it was only related to the platform since we’ve got half of the active developers using Windows, and most of the user base is using Windows as well. There’s probably something weirder going on here.

Also, I hate to ask the obvious, but are the people affected 100% certain that they do not have any add-ons installed? (Main menu → Add-ons → Remove.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Scampada

Re: Invisible/1-pixel-tall health and experience bars

Post by Scampada »

I'm looking that way... Minute please

Removed the Elvish Dynasty, I think the campaigns won't affect other campaigns, for example I tried starting one of the official ones and had the same issue.

[Merged 3 consecutive posts. ― shadowm]

PS Removed all of them and still...

What can I debug? Which variables?
liminal unit
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I’d prefer if you could test removing all add-ons first just in case, or manually move them to another folder and then place them back in after testing.

Also, while we’re trying to help you, please bear in mind that the forums are not a chatroom and there’s no need to post a message every couple of minutes. Just keep everything in one post and wait for a response.

EDIT: Okay, I see you edited your last post mentioning that it still happens with no add-ons installed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

I see, there is no auto concatenation in this forum. Every post is separate.
liminal unit
enclave

Post by enclave »

Scampada wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 9:00 pm What OS is your Wesnoth running under?
Sorry to disappoint you but... :D there's my system:
w1.png
As for me (im NOT developer, so no idea really) your problems look like there are just non-existant health bar images.. or the path is different..
Do you have a bar-energy.png here? C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.1\images\misc
I guess you do... i think my ideas ran out ;)
w2.jpg
Well since i started to put images... why stop... I'll put everything :D
w3.jpg
w4.jpg
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

As a matter of fact, the Copy button in the bottom left corner of the version info dialog exists precisely so you don’t need to screenshot everything page by page.
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

As for me (im NOT developer, so no idea really) your problems look like there are just non-existant health bar images.. or the path is different..
Do you have a bar-energy.png here? C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.1\images\misc
I guess you do... i think my ideas ran out ;)
Will check it out but, I thought that those are just 2D primitives... I mean, like some kind of
canvas.rectangle

This post might be updated

UPD:

Yes it is so.

This function draws SDL primitives only, it has no need in images for health bars.
I'm not (yet) a professional tester, and now I'm just wondering how to mock the function call and check what's going in there.

Looks like some kind of bad magic with height. Width is good, the outer rectangles ("bar outline") are visible.

Ah, really.. there were images in the past...
// Bar dimensions.
// Note about the magic x, y additions: we used to use an image for the bar instead of drawing
// it procedurally. Its x,y position within the file was 19,13, so we offset the origin by that
// much to make it line up with the crowns as before. Should probably compensate for this better
// in the future.
liminal unit
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

And now for something completely different for another problem (another post):

the game crashes when I'm trying to zoom out.

1. Press 'Zoom out' button
2. Black game board
3. Several seconds
4. Game crashes with system message
liminal unit
levstk

Post by levstk »

So this never went anywhere then?

I've been wanting to play this again recently and so I went digging a bit through the files and I realised that if I remove the decimals from hp and xp bar scaling (set them to 1, basically), it works fine. I also noticed that some animations dont work for me and I went digging through the animation stuff. The ones that don't work all seem to be the one that have decimals (like the ghost idle animation). Zoom also has decimals and it also crashes my game.

I get the feeling that the game is truncating all the decimals for some reason.

(edit): So I tried changing the decimal points for commas in the hp and xp bar scaling options, on the completely stupid asumption that since some languages use those it might cause some issue somewhere along the way and apparently it worked. I can't test it out elsewhere since all those lines contain commas as separators (which might be why zooming causes crashes and why the ghost animations are all just transparency).

(edit#2): Sorry, I'm basically posting the investigation progress here, instead of trying everything at once and then posting, but I keep getting new ideas as I go.

The issue is straight up the decimal saparator setting. For some reason when the game reads the files it actually takes into account the system settings for decimal separators. I don't know how to fix that since I'm not exactly a programer but that's the solution anyway. For a temporary solution you can change your system settings, I guess.