How to make Wesnoth start up at a specific screen?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
pauxlo

How to make Wesnoth start up at a specific screen?

Post by pauxlo »

I have two screens here (my laptop's screen and an additional bigger one), using Ubuntu with Xfce. The screens are configured (via Xrandr) as one big (non-rectangular) X display (the external one over the internal one). The main screen (which has e.g. the task bar) is the external screen.

But somehow Battle for Wesnoth (compiled from source) always starts on the smaller screen (as a maximized window). I then have to drag it up (and sometimes maximize it again) to be able to play in a useful way.

Is there any way of telling BfW to open the window immediately? It doesn't accept the --geometry option which is somewhat standard for X, and the other display options in the help also don't seem to help. Trying to use the --fullscreen argument just gives me fullscreen on the small monitor, without a way to drag it to the other one.
Bitron
Developer

Re: How to make Wesnoth start up at a specific screen?

Post by Bitron »

moved from Release Announcements.
pauxlo

Re: How to make Wesnoth start up at a specific screen?

Post by pauxlo »

Okay, I think I found a way (from this Set primary monitor on 16.04 at Ask Ubuntu.

Code: Select all

xrandr --output HDMI-3 --primary
marks the screen named "HDMI-3" as the primary one, and after that Wesnoth starts at that screen. Unfortunately, this setting is not saved, so I need to do this once each time I log in. Instead I added this to the menu item which starts Wesnoth, which seems to work.