Wesnoth 1.13.1 and Mac OS El Capitan

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Wesnoth 1.13.1 and Mac OS El Capitan

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, I have recently upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS El Capitan (10.11.x) from Yosemite and Wesnoth 1.13.1 behaves 'buggy.' I launched the application and it loads after a 40-60 second delay. Then I get this:
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 18.50.40.png
This did not happen when I was using Yosemite.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Aginor
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.1 and Mac OS El Capitan

Post by Aginor »

Hi Lord-Knightmare,

The screenshot that you've posted corresponds with this bug: https://gna.org/bugs/?23918

It's fixed in latest GIT version, but the fix has not been included in the new 1.13.2. The underlying problem is that SDL 1.2 which both 1.13.1 and 1.13.2 doesn't work properly with El Capitan and the game requires SDL2 support.

We expect to have this fixed in 1.13.3, but you could try to compile it from sources if you don't want to wait until then :)

Kind regards,
Andreas
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.1 and Mac OS El Capitan

Post by ancestral »

Hi Lord-Knightmare!
  • The 40–60 second delay happens once, whenever running a new version for the first time. I believe the app is doing some version‐checking and creating new directories, but it’s possible there could be a bug here (there may be silent failures before it successfully launches).
  • Wesnoth 1.13.3 will certainly fix this (thanks to SDL2), and will introduce some other awesome niceties, like being able to scroll around the map in all directions using two fingers, color cursors and bug fixes for screen resolution issues.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer