Is it possible to completely disable the Tip of the Day?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
revolting_peasant

Is it possible to completely disable the Tip of the Day?

Post by revolting_peasant »

I find the tip of the day a bit annoying after a while, and want to remove it completely from the title screen. I couldn't find a configuration option for this in the dialogs... searching the Wiki (well, Googling really) I found this suggestion:

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CustomizingStartup

to "fake it" with an empty tips file. Well, the thing is this doesn't make the tips go away - it just displays an empty single tip. Is there a way to actually remove the tip-of-the-day rectangle?

PS - I'm using version v1.12.4 on Debian Stretch (the apt-packaged version), in case it matters somehow.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Is it possible to completely disable the Tip of the Day?

Post by beetlenaut »

No, it's not possible to remove. (Unless you are pretty good with C++ programming of course.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

You ought to be able to do it by editing data/gui/default/window/title_screen.cfg; the layout is defined there. However, because the markup is very unfriendly, it's not easy like removing an element should be. You probably have to change several things in there.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

zookeeper: I'm not sure if that would work -- if you just delete the widget probably the C++ will crash because it can't find a widget it was expecting to find. You might be able to do something like, set its size to zero or very small by editing the .cfg file, but it will likely be a bit fiddly, I don't think the gui2 markup is very well documented wrt to this kind of thing.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

iceiceice wrote:zookeeper: I'm not sure if that would work -- if you just delete the widget probably the C++ will crash because it can't find a widget it was expecting to find. You might be able to do something like, set its size to zero or very small by editing the .cfg file, but it will likely be a bit fiddly, I don't think the gui2 markup is very well documented wrt to this kind of thing.
Yeah I don't know if the engine requires certain elements to be there or whether you'd just need to restructure most of the WML if you want to remove an element. I tried to remove it in various ways myself, and everything just caused the game to die due to this or that error.