[1.12] Bug (not starting after modifying add-ons folder)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
pe_em

[1.12] Bug (not starting after modifying add-ons folder)

Post by pe_em »

I've got a problem when I make a new add-on / modify an old one in add-ons folder (I keep it in Program Files, not My Documents). I end my work but the game doesn't start. When I restart my computer, everything is ok, the game starts. I use Win XP.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: [1.12] Bug (not starting after modifying add-ons folder)

Post by Anonymissimus »

Please paste content of stderr.txt (from your wesnoth installation folder) after trying to start wesnoth after modifying an addon as you say. Probably something in the addon lets wesnoth choke right at the start.

The "old" addon you modify could be A Simple Campaign, which is designed for this task.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Battle for Wesnoth v1.12.0
Started on Fri Jan 16 15:06:03 2015

Automatically found a possible data directory at C:/Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.0

Data directory: C:/Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.0
User configuration directory: C:/Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.0\userdata
User data directory: C:/Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.0\userdata
Cache directory: C:/Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.0\userdata\cache
Caught general exception:
Conversion failed

Here you are. Sorry that I do it so late, but I didn't have much time. It wasn't A Simlpe Campaign, but thanks for that you tell me about it. I'll use it next time. This error occured when I made new folder in add-ons. Then I created _main.cfg, but wrote nothing inside. Actually, not every change in the add-ons folder makes Wesnoth not starting.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Please delete the folder C:/Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.0\userdata\cache (It will be recreated). Deleting the cache from time to time is a good idea in general.
pe_em wrote:wrote nothing inside.
This could be a problem as well.
You can try with a basic addon (_main.cfg) that should work, such as ASC.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

could be teh same as here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=15

a possible workaround might be selecting the language in the language menu explicitly instead of using the default language.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.