Can not recruit units in "Legend of Wesmere".

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Can not recruit units in "Legend of Wesmere".

Post by fabi »

xfirmino wrote:Hello,

I'm playing "Legend of Wesmere" and since the beginning of the campaign, I can not recruit any new unit, no matter what level I'm playing. Is this normal?
Thank you.
Hello.

Is the "Legend of Wesmere" campaign the only one giving you such troubles?
xfirmino

Post by xfirmino »

zookeeper wrote:Oh, I see. Well, that's weird, since it indeed doesn't happen for me. I'm out of ideas unless you have some add-on installed which somehow causes it (sounds very unlikely though).
No add-on installed.
fabi wrote:
xfirmino wrote:Hello,

I'm playing "Legend of Wesmere" and since the beginning of the campaign, I can not recruit any new unit, no matter what level I'm playing. Is this normal?
Thank you.
Hello.

Is the "Legend of Wesmere" campaign the only one giving you such troubles?
Hello.

I beat the following campaigns without having any problems:
1 Heir to the Throne
2 A Tale of Two Brothers
3 An Orcish Incursion
4 The South Guard
5 Liberty

I'm currently playing "The Eastern Invasion" on 1.11.19. So far had no problems.
kiss

Post by kiss »

I was searching forum for other matter and found that : Can't recruit in LoW-Scenario 1 in Planning Mode [1.11.10]

I can reproduce this behaviour with planning mode activated on 1.11.19.
The result is the same behaviour observed in the video.

In case it can help.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

kiss wrote:I can reproduce this behaviour with planning mode activated on 1.11.19.
Confirmed. That seems to be the problem. Good work, kiss.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
xfirmino

Post by xfirmino »

kiss wrote:I was searching forum for other matter and found that : Can't recruit in LoW-Scenario 1 in Planning Mode [1.11.10]

I can reproduce this behaviour with planning mode activated on 1.11.19.
The result is the same behaviour observed in the video.

In case it can help.
Hello kiss,

Many thanks for your tip!
Really, disabling the planning mode on start allows me to recruit new units.
However, the problem comes back when I press "p" during game play to enable the planning mode.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

LoW uses (unlike most other campaigns) 'per unit' recruitlists, very likeley that whiteboard cannot handle those. I currently don't know anyone who knows exactly how whiteboard works, and there have been even suggestions to remove the whiteboard in 1.12 so maybe this wont by fixed in 1.12

EDIT: for anyone who wants to try: Maybe replacing (*resources::teams)[team_index()].recruits() in this line: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... t.cpp#L187 with a actions::get_recruits call migth solve the problem.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
kiss

Post by kiss »

I'm not familiar with developer stuff when it is about coding an application. So take the following only for a try to help, based on my knowledge.
To give you the most beautiful proof, I've tried what gfgtdf has proposed, it seemed so easy, and done exactly what was said: replace xxx by yyy. Of course this isn't enough and compilation failed. Silly me ...

I have to say I've found strange this proposal. For me there are two big parts in Wesnoth. The program, able to do a lot of given task and the parameters. And I do not understand why the program have to be changed because of a particular parameter. The program can or can't deal with that parameter, nothing more.
In our case it is a set of parameters that should allow a campaign to be played SP and MP. And I assume, the campaign can be created because at some time the program had all the functionalities to proceed with such parameters. So, according me, all should be fixed from parameters' side.
Of course I may lack a lot of informations and gfgtdf proposal should be the good one. But don't forget I'm still new to all that and there is a lot I'm not aware of.

Whatever, right after my first LoW MP game, I've tried to understand what could be wrong and following what I've said before I've looked at the parameters: the config file and so on. My first search was to find out why names were wrong in the first scenario and correct in the second. I've still don't found.
The best I find is to compare with other scenario's config files.
I found a lot of differences, and not only in the variables' order but in the variables used, looked at WML references in case it was something related to MP, but in most cases do not found anything special.

Still following that idea, in 01_The_Uprooting.cfg, I've replaced those lines :
extra_recruit=Elvish Fighter, Elvish Archer
recruit=""

by
recruit=Elvish Fighter, Elvish Archer

I've started a new LoW SP campaign, recruit works as intended with planning mode activated. I've not tested further, maybe this broke other things.
To have more references I've downloaded some MP campaign on add-on server and don't see any extra_recruit but recruit.
I've also grep extra_recruit in campaigns' directory, only WoL used it.

Should I go on this way (tests) or is it wasted time?