Microsoft visual c++ crash

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
syrL

Microsoft visual c++ crash

Post by syrL »

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Wesnoth Version: 1.10.7
When I click add-ons in the in-game menu and click connect I get Microsoft visual c++ rutinme library error and the game crashes.
I searched on forum and found nothing, I will post the stderr text:

"Battle for Wesnoth v1.10.7
Started on Sun Dec 08 19:11:32 2013

Automatically found a possible data directory at D:/Jocuri/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7

Data directory: D:/Jocuri/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7
User configuration directory: C:/Users/Syrusel/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10
User data directory: C:/Users/Syrusel/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10
Cache directory: C:/Users/Syrusel/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/cache
Checking video mode: 1366x721x32...
setting mode to 1366x721x32
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::system::system_error> >'
what(): socket_select_interrupter: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
"

I see it says no connection could be made, I let wesnoth through my firewall. What should I do?
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Microsoft visual c++ crash

Post by gfgtdf »

I misunderstand i though you used msvc.
post content removed.

still it would be nice to know wether that bug appears in 1.11.7 aswell.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Microsoft's VC++ library wraps uncaught exceptions and assertion failures in a dialog like that, which is then unhelpfully titled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library ....". It does contain the relevant information though:
Spoiler:
That sounds like the new add-on manager fails to handle some network errors.
syrL

Post by syrL »

Soo, what could I do? :S
syrL

Post by syrL »

Can anyone please help out? Is there any solution? I also installed 1.11.7 and I got the same problem :(
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Well...here's what I'd try:
(1)Launch wesnoth from commandline and pass --log-debug=all to it and hope it gives info helping you. Again post stderr.txt content
(2)Wildely deactivate/change things on your computer that may prevent programs from network access.
(3)Do not use a firewall or similar. (The need for firewalls, virus scans and such depends on user behavior, it's not as if one really does. That's just what people selling them wanna make you believe.) Such programs cost lots of system resources and cause trouble (such as here - perhaps).
(3)Learn how to compile and generate a backtrace.
(4)Use another OS to run wesnoth (Linux).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
syrL

Post by syrL »

1) I have no clue what you just said there
2) I have no idea if I have such programs that may interfere with network access
3) I deactivated it and same deal, I don't have anything else on.
3) The compile & backtrace --> wut xD
4) I don't want to run on a different os :(

I think I'll just accept the fact that I can't access it from in-game.
Btw i see you made settlers of wesnoth, I adore it!
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

maybe we should ship wesnoth windows version with a second "debug all" shortcut for people who don't know what "pass --log-debug=all to it " means.

@te:
you are realy sure you don't have a proxy or a very strange internet connection?
to "pass --log-debug=all to it":
1) create or copy a shurtcut to wesnoth.
2) right-click "properties" on that shortcut
3) change the content of the textbox "target" from "<path of your wesnoth> --config-dir Wesnoth1.10" to "<path of your wesnoth> --log-debug=all --config-dir Wesnoth1.10"
4) run the new created link.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
syrL

Post by syrL »

Thank you very much for the reply, I did what you said and I got the new stderr file, the file has 4mb. Where should I post the file?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Compress it and attach it to your post.
syrL

Post by syrL »

Here it be!
Attachments
stderr.7z
(76.82 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

unfortunately the file didn't tell me anything (but i don't knowa lot about that part of the code though).

do you have problems with other (non-browser) online games aswell?

if no other posts come, i think annonymous' suggestions may be the only options left: compile & backtrace (quite complicated if you never did that, especialy compiling from scratch takes ~30min and normaly you'll get an error the first try and have to do it again...) different os (well i think it is easier than the method above, running a virtual machine and installing linux isn't that hard (you'll need some disk space though), and installing wesnoth on linux shouldn't be hard eigher)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

A workaround could be to use the wesnoth_addon_manager python script. You've already learned how to launch wesnoth from command line, this is similar. It will allow up- and downloading of addons (I know it works on windows as I've used it myself).

Is connecting to the multiplayer server affected as well ?

If it's only for downloading addons, it's also possible to do that via the web interface, manually unpacking the files and placing them into the addons dir. This is probably easy, but allows only for download, and somewhere it's said that it shouldn't be the way to get addons, server load I guess.

No solutions, but workarounds you should be able to live with.

EDIT
There's no technical reason to not download via the web interface, just that it's less convenient.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Anonymissimus wrote:[...] and somewhere it's said that it shouldn't be the way to get addons, server load I guess.
For all intents and purposes, the httpd is better equipped to manage concurrent connections than campaignd, so server load is irrelevant.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
syrL

Post by syrL »

I can play multiplayer and every other game I have works great. I already downloaded addons from the website and manually placed them, that isn't a big deal. I just thought that maybe on the in-game list the addons would have a better description etc. When I go download from browser most of them don't really describe that well what they do, some of them are dead and so on. It's ok if it doesn't work from in-game, I just thought that maybe it was better organised.