Campaign server UTF8 Error

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Civhai

Campaign server UTF8 Error

Post by Civhai »

Hi,
I want to upload my era to the campaign server, but it crashes as soon as I accept the GPL message. I have Arch Linux 3.2.9 and 3.3.1, my brother has Ubuntu, I don't know the exact version, but all get the same problem, so I don't think it is architecture related. The only error message I get is this:

Code: Select all

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'utils::invalid_utf8_exception'
  what():  std::exception
I have the wesnoth version from a package manager, so I don't have any debug symbols, but the backtrace gave me lots of ?? on the function names, but it seems to happen in a function called "looks_like_pbl". Hence it might be that my pbl File has some encoding issues.

I still think this is probably a bug since wesnoth should not crash in that situation but give a meaningful error message and tell me that it cannot upload the campaign because of invalid utf8 character x in file y and keep running. So it could probably be considerd as a minor bug.

But does anyone know how I can fix my pbl file? I don't use any special symbols or Umlaut or anything...
Working on the Era of Ilthan
Max

Re: Campaign server UTF8 Error

Post by Max »

attach your pbl file...

edit: looking at the source it looks like it's just analysing the filename - so you might want to attach your campaign somewhere...
Civhai

Post by Civhai »

Here it is.

https://github.com/Tinend/Wesnoth-Era-o ... all/master

Note that I will of course change the passphrase before I upload it again.^^

edit: And thanks a lot for your time and your help.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Are you using Windows or some other operating system that doesn’t prefer UTF-8 for filenames? There are two paths in that download which contain non-ASCII characters that create invalid UTF-8 sequences (marked here with \344, being 0xE4 in hex):

Code: Select all

shadowm@reicore:~$ tar -ztf Downloads/Tinend-Wesnoth-Era-of-Ilthan-fe18c85.tar.gz | egrep '[^ A-Za-z_0-9:/.-]' 
Tinend-Wesnoth-Era-of-Ilthan-fe18c85/images/units/lizard_alliance/Christinas_trauriger_Versuch_etwas_einem_Drachen_\344hnliches_auf_irgendeine_beliebige_weise_anzu\344hneln_old.png
Tinend-Wesnoth-Era-of-Ilthan-fe18c85/images/units/lizard_alliance/Christinas_zweiter_etwas_erfolgreicherer_Versuch_ein_unbekanntes_Flug_Objekt_UFO_Drache_zu_machen_Als_Tipp_Mach_ihn_\344hnlich_dem_Letzten_und_etwas_kleiner_Kappiert_Falls_nein_weiterlesen_falls_ja_mit_lesen_aufh\366ren_Fange_mit_Lesen_von_vorn_an_old.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Civhai

Post by Civhai »

No, I don't use Windows on any of my two computers and my brother neither.

Yeah, those where two pictures of my little sister to draw sprites for our era, but that was just for fun and it is definitely a mistake that they ended up in the images/units directory... Thanks a lot. The two names are just German for "Christinas sad try to do something even remotely similar to a dragon" and some even longer and even more stupid name. The \344 is just the German character ä... Well, thanks a lot for your help and sorry to bother you with such a stupid mistake.

But I still think Wesnoth should not crash from this, so I guess I should make a bug repord on Gna, right?

edit: add-on accepted, thanks so far
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Civhai wrote:But I still think Wesnoth should not crash from this, so I guess I should make a bug repord on Gna, right?
Sure, that would be great!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.