Campaign Descent Into Darkness – German Bugs ???

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
pauline

Campaign Descent Into Darkness – German Bugs ???

Post by pauline »

I managed to kill all enemies in the penultimate scenario with the same title as the campaign.
I do not see anymore anywhere on the map. However, the scenario won´t finish !!! :shock:
I spent the last few remaining turns sending Mal Keshar back to the large main castle, back to the castle on the west passageway,
back to the entrance and up to the end of the main passage … until defeat is reported. :?
Since the campaign-map shows 11 scenarios on the whole, I thought that was - may be - supposed to be the end:
Mal Keshar running around in his cave for ever ... As usual, I read the walk-through after playing:

First I found out that there is apparently a 12th scenario called "Eternal Night".

Then I read the objective in English: "Defeat the troll leader".
I´m playing German-Wesnoth, the objective here says: "Kill all trolls in your new home" ... what I had accomplished.

According to the walk-through I should "just go straight up the passage to the main castle,
stab the troll leader to death ... leading to an instant victory"
Well, there are a Troll Shaman and 4 Trolls in my main castle … none is a leader. :shock:

There is also the advise "to grab the castle on the west side of the passageway and recall some Nightgaunts".
I got Mal Keshar there quite early but: There wasn´t any option to call up or train units. :shock:

I started this scenario all over again ... Nothing changed.
I would be grateful for any suggestion how to get to the last level. :whistle:
It´s the 1st time I got any problem with finishing a scenario or not finding an "objective point".

pauline

post 2:

SORRY, I forgot:
Wesnoth version: 1.8.6

pauline
Last edited by artisticdude on March 24th, 2012, 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged double posts. Please use the edit button if you need to add something only a short while after posting your original post.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Campaign Descent Into Darkness – German Bugs ???

Post by artisticdude »

You do know that 1.8.6 is now obselete, right? 1.10.1 is the newest stable version. I'd suggest updating; some or all of the issues you've pointed out might have been fixed already. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

pauline wrote:There is also the advise "to grab the castle on the west side of the passageway and recall some Nightgaunts".
I got Mal Keshar there quite early but: There wasn´t any option to call up or train units. :shock:
There's a keep at 30,25, and the troll leader never appears unless you step on that hex (as the dialogue directs you to).

If the walkthrough says the things you say it does, then it's likely simply too old and obsolete.
pauline

Post by pauline »

artisticdude
Thanks for answering and YES, I know about v 1.10.1. It was probably negligent not to update ...
But it´s my first try on the base campaigns of this wonderful game, I´m still "working" tactics or dealing with surprises
and since I´m no Online/Multiplayer and - only recently under Windows 7 - everything ran just fine as used to:
Well, I preferred to rely on old familiar. But I´ll take your advice now !!! :wink:
Certainly, I DID run a search on "known/fixed bugs in Descent Into Darkness" BEFORE this post,
but nothing related to my problem came up !!!

zookeeper
I get my walk-throughs from the Wesnoth StrategyWiki.
Never occurred to me that they could be completely outdated ... :?
Thanks for mentioning that "keep" !!! I´m gonna look for it.
In turn 6, when the mist clears and the castles get visible, German dialogue says:
"Thence along the old road is a place that I will make my home. From there, I will send my army.
I feel a castle near, from which I can call my soldiers.
"
This gave me the impression that Mal Keshar intended to set up home/headquarters in the small castle
and that he would be able to recall his units there.
My "outdated " walk-through, actually, DID mention "after you reach the small keep" !!!
But since I have not even seen this "keep at 30,25", I assumed this info would direct to the small castle ...

Well, that´s why I like to read the walk-throughs afterwards: Getting to know all the secrets I´ve missed in a scenario. :mrgreen:

I´ll be back ... with feedback.

pauline
pauline

Post by pauline »

artisticdude
My walk-through from developer David White and others does "say the things I say it does" and was last modified on 9 Oct 2011.
So, I don´t think it´s "old and obsolete" and there are rather no bugs in German v 1.8.6. :oops:
My problems were caused by wrong translation or lack of knowledge. "Descent Into Darkness" is my 9th campaign:
Should I have realized by now, that a Lich needs to be on a green health level to be able to recall or recruit units ???
Well, I didn´t ... :doh: ... I can´t remember an opponent Lich of former campaigns not being able to call for backup
because he had turned already into a "half-dead" undead ...
In "Descent into Darkness", Mal Keshar needs to suck in at least 45 HP.
ONLY then options to call troops in the castle on the western passageway are shown in the menu.

As mentioned by zookeeper:
Once Mal Keshar has stepped on the central keep hex of this small castle, troll leader Nak will enter the scene …
no matter if Mal Keshar continues on his own or if he shows up with recalled units.
Maybe t´s a "spoiler": I´ve been in that "keep at 30/25" (= the small castle), but at that time Mal Keshar was still on the yellow HP-level.
Unable to get manpower, I had to sent him against the main castle on his own. It took some turns, but he did manage to get in and recall his undead.
Since the German translation doesn´t mention a "troll leader", I didn´t even miss him ... However, that way it´s impossible to beat this scenario:
As soon as troll boss Nak is knocked out, the game is over = objective in the English text.
The goal is not, to "kill ALL trolls in your new home" … as required in the German mission.

But I´ll get v 1.10.1 … and start all over again with the my 1st campaign. I surely don´t want to miss all that interesting changes !!! :D
Thanks for the support !!!
pauline
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Your ability to recruit/recall is definitely not dependant on your hitpoints, and never has been. I don't know what happened that made it appear that way for you, though.
pauline

Post by pauline »

Neither do I ...
But I restarted this scenario at least 10 times ... looking for maybe another "keep" to call for backup :D
That way I got Mal Keshar many times into the little castle:
Sometimes he still was too weak (health level yellow) = no call-up options in the menu.
Sometimes he had killed just enough to get on health level green = options recruit/recall appear in the menu .
To me that made sense and was on purpose since the German dialogue said:
"Thence along the old road is a place that I will make my home. From there, I will send my army. But I am still to weak."

Anyway, I´ll go an another attempt in v 1.10.1 … let´s see how things work after updating.

pauline
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

pauline wrote:I get my walk-throughs from the Wesnoth StrategyWiki.
You mean http://wesnothstrategy.wikia.com/? I don't see any walkthroughs there. Perhaps you meant DescentIntoDarkness in the Wesnoth wiki? (Hint: you can make your meaning clear by linking to your source, like I did. It is particularly easy to make links to the Wesnoth wiki by using the [wiki] tag.)

pauline wrote:My walk-through from developer David White and others does "say the things I say it does" and was last modified on 9 Oct 2011.
So, I don´t think it´s "old and obsolete" and there are rather no bugs in German v 1.8.6. :oops:
Wesnoth 1.8.6 was current until the end of January 2012. It is "old" in the sense of "not current", albeit not in the sense of "floppy disks". :) It is obsolete since there is a new major version out (1.10 instead of 1.8), which means there will never be any updates to the 1.8 branch. Basically, 1.8.x became "old and obsolete" the moment 1.10.0 was released.

pauline wrote:To me that made sense and was on purpose since the German dialogue said:
"Thence along the old road is a place that I will make my home. From there, I will send my army. But I am still to weak."
I don't know if this is a difference in version or a gap in translation, but the English version in 1.10 extends that last sentence a bit: "But I am still too weak to clear the vermin from it." Not too weak to recruit/recall, but too weak to go smacking trolls around.

The place that will be his home is the castle currently occupied by trolls. The vermin are the trolls. The keep at 30,25 and the ability to recruit/recall do not get referenced until the next line ("I will need a castle from which to call upon my soldiers. I sense one nearby." -- you mentioned this line in your second post).
pauline

Post by pauline »

JaMiT
Sorry. You're certainly right: I should have linked the source of "my" walkthrough.
It seemed unnecessary to me because I didn´t even know that there are other ways to get a walkthrough ... :oops:
I just clicked: Home > Play > Walkthroughs of Official Campaigns > 11 Descent into Darkness.

And THANKS for the explanation of how the dialogue is to be interpreted correctly !
I play Wesnoth out of pure fun and to relax, so my mother language is most convenient.
But I should perhaps rather use the original version: To improve my English ...
Then I would have known, for example, that a "keep" is a camp or main base and not just a small resting place ... :doh:

I was mistaken. Only with the support of this forum I learned that Mal Keshar refers to the big main castle simply as a "PLACE that I will make my home" while the little keep is the "CASTLE from which I can call my soldiers".

The complete German dialogue (translated by Google):
"Thence along the old road is a place that I will make my home. From there, I will send my army.
But I'm still too weak to free it from those who pollute it with their presence
."

Fine with me (though not right on the first attempts):
place = little castle
from there, I will send my army = against the Trolls along the old road and in the big main castle
polluters = the bats around/in the small castle
I understood the next line of the dialogue just as another confirmation:
"I feel a castle near, from which I can call my soldiers."
And the fact that Mal Keshar actually was only able to recall units in the small keep
AFTER he got on health level Green (or 45 HP at least) was one more confirmation ...

By no means I devalue the translation !!! Quite the contrary: The translators do a great job !!!

And sorry if I explain too much: Since you took the trouble to reply in detail, it's just a matter of courtesy to write back.
I appreciate your help !!! :)

pauline