trying to set up an honest mode of play

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Crow_T

trying to set up an honest mode of play

Post by Crow_T »

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a notorious cheater/save loader. But recently I've decided to try to get around it by changing the user prefs- I originally wanted to change auto saves to zero, but the lower limit is one. When it is at one, the start turn of a scenario no longer saves, so I can't just retry from the beginning. Any suggestions?
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Re: trying to set up an honest mode of play

Post by JaMiT »

Works for me (BfW 1.10.1). Set the max autosaves to 1, started up Liberty, and when the second scenario started, I had the end-of-scenario (replay) save for scenario 1, the start-of-scenario save for scenario 2, and the auto save for turn 1 of scenario 2.
taptap

Post by taptap »

It works fine for me too. Maybe what created confusion is that you won't have a start-of-scenario save for the first scenario (but you don't need one).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
pauline

Post by pauline »

I know: That was not your question … It´s just: It never occurred to me that a "save loader" is a "notorious cheater" ... :hmm:
I save all the time but I first try to beat a scenario without save loading.
Only when a single strike towards the end of a scenario kills my hero or one of my main units – trained with great difficulty and expense –
I do save load.
There are SO big differences in the strike power of one and the same unit
that strategies and tactics are ALWAYS beaten by pure luck.
So, am I a cheater ... according to the morality of serious Wesnoth-players ??? :shock:

pauline
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

To be honest, I don't see that it matters if you 'cheat' or not (as long as you're playing single-player, obviously!).
The point of the game is to have fun - approach it in the way that you find most enjoyable.
If save-loading to make sure everything goes your way, makes the game more fun for you, then nobody has any right to judge you for that. Personally, I enjoy the sense of drama when things go a bit wrong - but I still save-load or use :debug if I get into too much trouble.
The only drawback, of course, is that if you get used to playing with this kind of 'safety net', you will get a nasty shock in multiplayer when save-loading isn't an option - but, of course, that may not bother you at all.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.