Multiplayer behind University firewall/proxy

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
BfWEthnographer

Multiplayer behind University firewall/proxy

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Hi!

is there a way (other than creating VPN tunnel) to play multiplayer Wesnoth on the official server, if I am behind the University firewall? At the moment, if I try to connect to official server the game hang on "trying to connect" and the only thing that I can do is to force quit.

Through proxy I can access/use all services and applications working on port80, not the other ones (e.g. IRC)
I only found this post (2004) commenting on the issue...still valid?

Cheers
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

darkwraith007

Re: Multiplayer behind University firewall/proxy

Post by darkwraith007 »

Shouldn't you be studying while at a university? :P
That's why they have the firewall because they don't want people doing multiplayer gaming on their network (which costs them money in bandwidth and such).

Read the last post in that thread. They have ways of detecting whatever you do as long as you're using their internet. You can either play offline, tether your computer/laptop to your cell phone (and possibly upset AT&T lol) or you could purchase an 'unlimited broadband' data plan for laptops that plugs into a laptop and lets you access their internet from nearly anywhere with a clear signal.

If you know about using a VPN tunnel, you could try to go that route but if you get caught you're on your own.
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

darkwraith007 wrote:Shouldn't you be studying while at a university? :P
Well considering that researching BfW is my main occupation at the moment...that is what I'm trying to do at university :wink:
darkwraith007 wrote: play offline, tether your computer/laptop to your cell phone (and possibly upset AT&T lol) or you could purchase an 'unlimited broadband' data plan for laptops that plugs into a laptop and lets you access their internet from nearly anywhere with a clear signal.
mmhh I didn't really test much this option, but when I once tried to play Wesnoth MP through GSM/UMTC devices the game simply did not see the connection :cry:

thanks
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

About GSM, GPRS, UMTS and HSDPA connections, you must be aware that many providers have two kind of connections: one on APN WAP, that usually costs less but blocks all traffic on ports other than 80, and one on APN Web, with all ports open. Bear in mind that, in case of high data traffic, the provider can slow down connection speed, and that speed may vary during the day.
That said, considering that Wesnoth doesn't seem to send much data in multiplayer, my advice is to go for a volume data plan, rather than for a timed one.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)