How can I keep Wesnoth on my primary screen?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Blues

How can I keep Wesnoth on my primary screen?

Post by Blues »

It worked fine when my second screen was on right. Now I moved it to the left side of primary monitor and despite I can start windowed Wesnoth on my primary monitor it jumps over to the secondary as soon as I hit Ctrl+F. I tried to force it with DISPLAY variable set to :0.0 but no joy. Using xinerama.
Caphriel

Re: How can I keep Wesnoth on my primary screen?

Post by Caphriel »

Do other fullscreen applications have similar problems?
Blues

Post by Blues »

I don't think I have any, I can hit the maximize button in any app, but that's not the same.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Blues wrote:I don't think I have any, I can hit the maximize button in any app, but that's not the same.
I have to take it back, I do have one fullscreen application, MythTV, it runs where it is supposed to be, on secondary screen, no problems.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

1. You can edit your posts instead of double-posting.

2. Provide some more details, please. You are using a normal monitor and also a Android/Iphone/Ipad as a secondary monitor? What is your resolution set at on both monitors?

3. Since you are using a third-party software, Xinerama, you should probably contact them first.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

It would be best if you stated your OS (probably some Linux Distribution) and your WM (quite probably KDE?) and their respective versions.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Blues

Post by Blues »

Thanks for replies. :)

My OS is Gentoo 64-bit, ~amd64. My WM is Openbox, bare Openbox (+ feh, tint2, wbar, to create an usable desktop).

Both monitors are 1680x1050.

I can run windowed Wesnoth in my primary monitor, I can maximize it, but as soon as I hit Ctrl+F Wesnoth jumps to the secondary monitor on left (didn't happen when my secondary monitor was on right). The weird thing is window decoration stays on primary monitor.

Currently I have this in my xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 1680 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection
Corrections and improvements are welcome.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Out of curiosity, I tried to start Wesnoth without WM, it started on secondary screen. :(

Methinks the problem here is Wesnoth is not xinerama-aware. BTW, Xinerama is an Xorg extension, I wouldn't call it third party software.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Okay, I also tried running Wesnoth in fullscreen. The behavior of 1.8.6 and 1.9.7 is exactly the same:
I start Wesnoth from my terminal (on my primary, right screen) and it opens in maximized window mode (1920x1033px). So, the next thing I'm doing is pressing Ctrl+F – and now something weird happens: My left (secondary) screen becomes black (and remains black after quitting Wesnoth or exiting the fullscreen mode) and Wesnoth has a wrong resolution (looks like something as 1024x768), but stretched on my whole primary (right) monitor. :augh: (even though it used to have the right resolution in maximized window mode ...)
There isn't even some terminal output on entering the fullscreen mode, nor could I find some error message anywhere.
This is on KDE 4.6 (openSUSE 11.4) with Xinerama enabled, using a nVidia graphic card with the nouveau driver. I have no idea whether this is related to your bug or whether it's actually another one. :|
To me, it even looks as if there were multiple bugs around.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Blues

Post by Blues »

Methinks it's the same problem, in your case KDE is adding to confusion, while my puritan setup simply offers one big (2x1680)x1050 screen and Wesnoth occupies it from left, ignoring screen setting in xorg.conf and the whole xinerama.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Hmmm ... trying to start Wesnoth with --geometry/-geometry option fails too ... I'm running out of ideas ...

Does anybody know how to start Wesnoth on a specified screen? :evil:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Blues wrote:Methinks the problem here is Wesnoth is not xinerama-aware.
That is probably SDL’s fault, not Wesnoth’s. See if you can reproduce with other SDL clients and consider bugging the SDL developers about it.

And read the PM I sent you yesterday.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.