screenshots question

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Mountain_King
Translator

screenshots question

Post by Mountain_King »

Is it possible to take screenshots of the scenario objectives or when someone is talking? No matter what I try, it is not letting me. It's not even letting me do a screen capture for that matter, but that's besides the point. Running 1.9.4 on Windows 7.

GRMA,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
StDrake

Re: screenshots question

Post by StDrake »

same version, same system (you don't mention if it's x32 or x64 though) and the printscreen button works as it should
There's also plenty of screenshots around with speach shown. What exactly do you get when you press it?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I get absolutely nothing upon pressing the screenshot button (or the print screen button ---nothing to paste). However, if dialogue or the scenario objectives screen isn't up then I can take screenshots. I can even take them with the recruit list up, but not if there's dialogue. :?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Mountain_King wrote:I get absolutely nothing upon pressing the screenshot button (or the print screen button ---nothing to paste). However, if dialogue or the scenario objectives screen isn't up then I can take screenshots. I can even take them with the recruit list up, but not if there's dialogue. :?
Hmm, that's odd… I guess I could always give it a try with my Mac and see what happens…

Edit: Well I've just tried it; full screen capture works fine but manual screen capture didn't worked (I did expected that last one…).

Here's the pics I took so you can see for yourself;
http://i52.tinypic.com/i69rty.png
http://i55.tinypic.com/291lrhl.png

Edit 2: changed teh imeages into links as they were quite large…
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'll try again and see if it works. Maybe I missed something.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Let us know if you're still having trouble, and I'll move this to Technical Support.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Okay, after some more tests here is what I found out:
I was hitting the wrong key for print screen which is why it wasn't working.
Taking screenshots normally or even with the recruit window up works.
Taking screenshots during dialogue or when the scenario objectives is up doesn't work.
So, if someone wants to move this over to technical support that'd be great. :)
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Moved.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I tried using Fraps to take screen shots and movies, but it doesn't work either. It doesn't save the pictures (Or videos, but that's what replays are for) I take. Any idea why?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Shatterstar

Post by Shatterstar »

I have the exact same problem as Mountain King. I can take screen shots but ONLY in the same situations as he mentioned. Has this issue ever been resolved? If so, what is the solution?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Not having read this topic before, I think I’m missing one thing in here: does this only happen when Wesnoth is in fullscreen mode, or it also affects windowed? What happens if you capture the entire screen while another smaller window from other application (say, the Start → Run dialog) is in the foreground and focused?

In fullscreen mode (here on Linux at least) Wesnoth and other SDL applications steal events that would otherwise reach other X11 applications, such as the Print Screen key (handled by KDE, runs ksnapshot) and Alt+Tab (also handled by KDE, switches windows). I don’t have any problem with windowed mode.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Shatterstar

Post by Shatterstar »

Well I'm using XP and usually running in windowed mode. I have the same issue in either full screen or windowed. My problem is exactly as Mountain King described.

I tried putting something else in the foreground and it just didn't take a screen shot.
Shatterstar

Post by Shatterstar »

Anyone have any fix for this yet... or any type of info on why this certain screenshots won't work?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

IIRC I’ve had some parts of the screen not show correctly when taking screenshots and I always assumed it was an upstream problem with the way SDL handled things.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer