Goblins not recruited?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Maiklas3000

Goblins not recruited?

Post by Maiklas3000 »

In the scenario "SotBE 15: Civil War", the WML says the AI can recruit Goblin Impalers, but it never does under 1.9.2. In "The Rise of Wesnoth 3: A Harrowing Escape", likewise Goblin Spearmen are never recruited under 1.9.3. Goblin Spearmen are mentioned in the walkthrough, so this has not always been the case. This is under Windows 7, 64-bit. Bug or feature?

WML from A Harrowing Escape:
Spoiler:
Kymille

Re: Goblins not recruited?

Post by Kymille »

I wonder if the AI just takes the most expensive fighter now. In MP matches, it recruits Heavy Infantry but never Spearmen, Woses but never Elvish Fighters. Also, I never see Drake Fighters anymore, just Clashers. [Edit: My theory may be too simplistic, because both trolls and grunts are recruited, but there are definitely units that aren't recruited anymore.]
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Kymille wrote:I wonder if the AI just takes the most expensive fighter now. In MP matches, it recruits Heavy Infantry but never Spearmen, Woses but never Elvish Fighters. Also, I never see Drake Fighters anymore, just Clashers. [Edit: My theory may be too simplistic, because both trolls and grunts are recruited, but there are definitely units that aren't recruited anymore.]
Very true. Rather it's the most "powerful" fighter. It's an AI thing. I once wrote a scenario where I had the recruit list:
Orcish Archer, Orcish Assassin, Orcish Crossbowman, Orcish Grunt, Orcish Slayer, Orcish Warrior, Troll, Troll Rocklobber, Troll Whelp
All the AI recruited were Trolls, Orcish Crossbowmen, and Orcish Slayers. So yeah.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Adding the following line to the WML in the original post fixed the problem:

recruitment_ignore_bad_combat=yes

I tried "a Harrowing Escape" again and it seemed a little easier with Goblin Spearmen replacing some of the Orcish Grunts, even though I guess it increased the number of enemy units.
Theron

Post by Theron »

Probably related:
I had filed a bug (https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?17038) about "missing" Fencers in SotBE-1.

Reading your posts it looks like the AI is the cause of the loss of variation in unit recruitments.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Idea: You can change a couple lines of a general config file so that you don't have to modify every scenario file:

In Battle for Wesnoth 1.9.3\data\ai\utils\default_config.cfg, change the "no" entries to "yes":

Code: Select all

{DEFAULT_ASPECT_VALUE recruitment_ignore_bad_combat no}
{DEFAULT_ASPECT_VALUE recruitment_ignore_bad_movement no}
But before I did that, for TRoW9: Fallen Lich Point, I modded the scenario cfg file with recruitment_ignore_bad_combat=yes under 1.9.3 and it worked for the Lich, but not for the orcs. The orcs should recruit like so:

recruit=Orcish Archer, Orcish Assassin, Orcish Grunt, Wolf Rider, Orcish Crossbowman, Orcish Warrior, Goblin Knight, Goblin Pillager, Orcish Slayer, Goblin Spearman, Goblin Impaler

But they only recruit Orcish Crossbowmen, Orcish Warriors, Goblin Knights, and Orcish Slayers. Any ideas how to fix this?

Code snippet:
Spoiler:
Full modded cfg file attached.
Attachments
09_Fallen_Lich_Point.cfg
(19.6 KiB) Downloaded 249 times