Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime error

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Durwey

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime error

Post by Durwey »

I am almost sure any version of BfW can have this error, i got this when i tried to save/load maps, and i fixed it by deleting one of the folders where the user data is, you can get this error when you have more than one of these, and this can be caused by installing the game again with a different user data path setting. So if you have two folders where BfW is supposed to save this, delete one of them.

Posted it just to let people who get this error know... and it's just the case with maps... i guess.
Astra

Post by Astra »

I have the same error too and but it only does it during multiplayer. I'm using windows 7 wesnoth version 1.8.4 and the time it does the error varies in multiplayer from 10 turns to 1.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The problem is that this error message is so vague. As Anonymissimus stated earlier, it doesn't say anything about the actual problem. Any crash on Windows will give that error.

Astra: Your problem sounds completely different. We need the contents of your stderr.txt file.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

I had similar problems to Astra on 1.8.5 (random crashes during multiplayer and multiplayer only, giving C++ Runtime Library error message), though I could usually get through more turns than that and even finish games if I'm lucky. I haven't tried it on 1.8.6 yet because I always feel bad when I crash out in the middle of a game. I don't think the stderr will help you much... I checked mine numerous times and there's no difference at all between the output when the game crashes and when it doesn't. It just complains about some add-ons which have no translations and about a few maps for which the thumbnail can't be rendered in the lobby because of a non-standard terrain or something. I've still got a few stderrs saved if you really want them, though.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Atz wrote:I had similar problems to Astra on 1.8.5 (random crashes during multiplayer and multiplayer only, giving C++ Runtime Library error message)
I had problems like that back on 1.6, where when I click a Map in the Multiplayer lobby, it would error me out. I narrowed it down to certain maps (Map Editor maps + User made Content)

I found that deleting the maps that caused the error made them stop. Maybe it's the same thing to some degree as you? (Put the maps in a folder as not to lose them, though, just in case it is not the problem)
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

No, that's a completely different problem. Wesnoth crashes during gameplay, not when clicking on something in the lobby, and it has nothing to do with UMC. It occurs even on a clean install and on mainline maps.