Screen Resolution Problem with Mini Notebooks

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
xachangea

Screen Resolution Problem with Mini Notebooks

Post by xachangea »

:(

Hi, I have been playing Wesnoth for a while with one of the bigger laptops, and I got to adjust the resolution to the size of the screen to fit it perfectly (1600 x 900).

I have installed now Wesnoth on one of the smaller notebooks, the so called "mini" that all come with a resolution of 1024 x 600 (or at least all I have seen come with this resolution).

FIRST PROBLEM: by default, Wesnoth runs on a resolution the computer cannot handle (there are not enough pixels, something like 1024 x 716 I believe). So the first problem is to try to locate where the option to adjust resolution is, since the bottom of the screen is NOT DISPLAYED AT ALL, and THERE IS NO WAY TO SCROLL DOWN!!!

SECOND PROBLEM: once you get through changing the resolution to the correct one, the program refuses to run full screen in 1024 x 600 mode, which is very annoying since if you don't run it full screen, the bottom of the screen is missing, and you cannot read the buttons displayed at the bottom of the page (since you cannot scroll either).

Due to the popularity of this low cost mini notebooks, it would be great if a solution to this problem is offered, since other than that, mininotebooks should be able to run the program with little or no problems (other than the display is smaller).

Cheers,

XC
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Re: Screen Resolution Problem with Mini Notebooks

Post by loonycyborg »

The fastest way to fix the large window problem I know is to press ctrl-f once you're in main menu. That'll switch to fullscreen mode.
How exactly it refuses to run at 1024 x 600? Is this resolution not listed in Preferences? If it isn't try passing -r 1024x600 to wesnoth in command line.
"meh." - zookeeper
xachangea

Post by xachangea »

loonycyborg wrote:The fastest way to fix the large window problem I know is to press ctrl-f once you're in main menu. That'll switch to fullscreen mode.
How exactly it refuses to run at 1024 x 600? Is this resolution not listed in Preferences? If it isn't try passing -r 1024x600 to wesnoth in command line.
It says something like "the minimum resolution Wesnoth can run in with full screen mode is 1024 x 718 x 16 bit" and something like "change the window manager to be able to run in that resolution and with 16 bits". I have no idea what is that "window manager" the program is talking about.

I get to switch to 1024 x 600 (in the beginning three options were shown: 1024 x 718, 1024 x 600 and 800 x 600 ... now 1024 x 718 is gone for good)...

But I don't get to switch to full screen mode, again, the error message that I just wrote appears. Somehow the program "needs" at least 718 pixels in the y dimension, which leaves out every mini notebook that I know of (they are all 1024 x 600).

I will give a try to the shortcuts you mention (the key combinations), although I doubt it might work that way. Somewhere in the program code it asks for more than 600 pixels to run in full mode?

Thanks for replying.
seb

Post by seb »

You can start wesnoth with the --smallgui parameter which allows netbook resolutions (including 1024x600).