1.6 Crash on PowerPC G3 Macs

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
rmyers

Re: 1.6 Crash on PowerPC Mac Running 10.4.11

Post by rmyers »

That copy of libfreetype I have which is powerpc (not 7400) isn't a default. It was a copy installed by another application (XTrkCAD). So the correct library would need to be added to Wesnoth.

I copied the powerpc one into Wesnoth, and Wesnoth starts now, so that seems to be the (only?) problem.

Bob
rmyers

Post by rmyers »

Is it possible that someone with sufficient privileges renames this thread to reflect that it is a G3 only issue, not a 10.4.11 issue? That way it may be clearer to someone who is searching for assistance.

Bob

Done - /anakayub
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 1.6 Crash on PowerPC G3 Macs

Post by anakayub »

The solution is pretty simple.

Just make the libraries using the 10.4u SDK targeting Tiger. Here's a test I did:

Code: Select all

export SDK=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
export CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc -I/Library/Frameworks/Wesnoth_Frameworks2/include -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/include"

./configure --prefix=/Users/Amir/Desktop  LDFLAGS="-L/Library/Frameworks/Wesnoth_Frameworks2/lib -L/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc"   PKG_CONFIG=/Library/Frameworks/Wesnoth_Frameworks2/bin/pkg-config --enable-static

make 
sudo make install
Results:

Code: Select all

file /Users/Amir/Desktop/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib /Users/Amir/Desktop/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Users/Amir/Desktop/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
/Users/Amir/Desktop/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
But I think penguin already knows this; it's just to inform others that it can be easily fixed. :wink:
Take a breath.
saltybanana

Post by saltybanana »

penguin wrote:Ah ha! Sorry, I spoke too soon.

Maybe you could send me your dylib, saltybanana? Then I could make the next release work on G3s. Otherwise I should be able to come up with one myself, but will probably be too busy to do that before 1.6.1.
Hi, penguin and everyone.

Please find the attached .zip file, which contains libfreetype.6.dylib. When unarchived and placed into /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Frameworks (thus replacing the existing file), 1.6 no longer crashes at launch on my G3/400 running 10.4.11. I scrubbed it with install_name_tool to remove all paths that refer to /opt/local, so it should work for anyone.

The only caveat is that while the compatibility version is at 10.0.0, my copy is versioned at 10.16.0, whereas the original is 10.18.0. Other than that, the game seems to run fine with it, albeit noticeably slower than 1.4.7.

Regards,
Attachments
libfreetype.6.dylib.zip
(243.03 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
penguin
macOS Packager

Re: 1.6 Crash on PowerPC G3 Macs

Post by penguin »

Thanks! I stuck it together with the i386 part of the included dylib, with lipo. It's a bit hacky to stick together different versions in one dylib (especially since they link to different system libraries), but I don't think it'll be an actual problem. And freetype is on its way out anyway, as pango replaces SDL_ttf. I do know how to compile it myself, but it's easier to just stick together two binaries that are known to work.

Anyway, 1.6.1 should work on G3s. :)