I can connect to the alternate MP servers, not the main one

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Jozrael

Re: I can connect to the alternate MP servers, not the main one

Post by Jozrael »

Just in case, doublecheck for additional firewalls? I have to deal with three -_-
booner

Re: I seem to be banned

Post by booner »

Hello All,

I have had the wesnoth addiction for about a month now and have been playing daily. Today I received the message that I am banned from the server. I am not a quitter or anything like that and have always tried to show respect to my fellow players.

After reading through this thread one thing jumped out at me. That is that there are procedures in effect to ban spammers. Last night when playing the usual 'where you from" and "how old are you" came up. I am an old fart and the other players did not believe my age. I then pointed them to my resume as proof of my age (they could just check my graduation date to get the idea of my age).

I am now wondering if there is some process that searches through the chat logs and if anyone mentions a url then they are assumed to be spammers?

Whatever the reason for this banning it brings great disappointment. I am a programmer and had in mind to help in wesnoth development once my playing addiction had worked itself out.

Could anyone confirm if mentioning a url is enough to get one banned? And would anyone know if there is a process one can follow to have such banning revoked?

Thanks for any help you can offer in this matter.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: I seem to be banned

Post by zookeeper »

booner wrote:Hello All,

I have had the wesnoth addiction for about a month now and have been playing daily. Today I received the message that I am banned from the server. I am not a quitter or anything like that and have always tried to show respect to my fellow players.

After reading through this thread one thing jumped out at me. That is that there are procedures in effect to ban spammers. Last night when playing the usual 'where you from" and "how old are you" came up. I am an old fart and the other players did not believe my age. I then pointed them to my resume as proof of my age (they could just check my graduation date to get the idea of my age).

I am now wondering if there is some process that searches through the chat logs and if anyone mentions a url then they are assumed to be spammers?

Whatever the reason for this banning it brings great disappointment. I am a programmer and had in mind to help in wesnoth development once my playing addiction had worked itself out.

Could anyone confirm if mentioning a url is enough to get one banned? And would anyone know if there is a process one can follow to have such banning revoked?

Thanks for any help you can offer in this matter.
Sounds like a case of a whole IP range being banned due to some particularly persistent troublemaker, which then affects you too.

EDIT: Nevermind, that doesn't seem to be the case.
ping

Post by ping »

Sorry my mistake i mistook you for another, you are unbanned
booner

Post by booner »

Thank you ping! I was jones-ing bad for my wesnoth fix. :D

You are my hero!
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

Okay, untill now i didnt really need to connect to the official server, because i normaly played against friends in the alternative server. But now i have joined the ladder for wesnoth, where i have to play in the official server. but i still have the same problem.
could somebody please tell me how to connect to an IP, i allready told you that my computer knowledge is very low. i am thankful for any help
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

I have copied the IP you gave me directly in the ,,choose host to connect to" field... Could not connect to host.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Morpf wrote:I have copied the IP you gave me directly in the ,,choose host to connect to" field... Could not connect to host.
Do you have a personal firewall installed that might be blocking connections?

Your roommate (?) Hugo does not seem to have a problem to connect. At least he connected twice a couple of days ago from the same IP as you. Other than that there is no connection attempt from your IP(s) so I have no idea what might go wrong on your end.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

Yes, my brother Hugo has no problem with his laptop. I dont think it got anything to do with my firewall, because it worked a few months ago without any problems and since then i havent installed any new firewall or changed any options. And i allready switched every firewall i know about off and tried to connect, it didnt work^^.
I am going to download the new version in the evening, maybe it will work
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

Okay, i have version 1.4.5 for Windows now. I turned off again my firewall now and i made sure that it doenst block wesnoth, but i still cannot connect to mainsever.
It is a pity, that you can not help me, so i am going to play on server2 further on.
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

When i go to add-ons, following message appears:
Error
Remote host disconnected
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

The addons server is on the same host.

EDIT:
Morph: I setup a proxy server on server2.wesnoth.org:14995 you can use to connect to server.wesnoth.org.
You should figure out your local problem though since you really shouldn't need a proxy. Routing from wesnoth.org to you is just fine...
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

Hell Yeah, i got it. I've found a firewall i didn't know i've got it. That one blocked Wesnoth. I still don't know why, because i've never changed any settings, it started to block from one day to the other.
Thanks for your help and see you at the mainserver^^
Sorgath

Post by Sorgath »

I found the solution to my problem and just thought I'd post it here for anyone else still having trouble.

Apparently peer guardian has problems with OS 10.5 even when it's turned off. I uninstalled peer guardian and everything works fine.