problem loading map with SVN trunk (r26608)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
turin
Lord of the East

problem loading map with SVN trunk (r26608)

Post by turin »

For the past several weeks, I've had this problem; at first I assumed it was just SVN being broken because it is, well, SVN, but it seems implausible that it would have remained so long before being fixed - I'm starting to think it's something on my end.

Basically, Wesnoth compiles fine, and I can start it, but when I try actually do anything, it gives me an error like this:

Code: Select all

20080513 18:46:32 error config: map could not be loaded: Illegal character found in map. The scenario cannot be loaded.
20080513 18:46:33 error config: Illegal character in map: (Ww^Bw|) 'Ww^Bw|'
This happens for every campaign I've tried starting, official as well as user-made, and for most MP maps - though some will work. On the ones that don't, it says "Error" instead of (e.g.) "2 Players" under the mini-map on the start-MP-game screen. The map editor also refuses to load any maps.

So... anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this my fault somehow?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Re: problem loading map with SVN trunk (r26608)

Post by turin »

OK, never mind, I think I've figured it out. It seems scons isn't copying the binaries from ~/share/wesnoth/wesnoth to ~/bin/wesnoth or ~/share/wesnoth/wesnoth_editor to ~/bin/wesnoth_editor, which means I've been playing with weeks-old binaries even though I've been compiling regularly.

Any idea why scons would do this? The documentation seems to suggest it would put the binaries in ~/bin/ if I have ~/ as my prefix=, but it is doing no such thing.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

Works as it should for me. Post contents of your .scons-option-cache. Are you passing prefix=~/ through command-line? If you edit .scons-option-cache ~/ may not be expanded properly.

Or, don't install wesnoth at all and run it from working copy root: "./wesnoth"
"meh." - zookeeper
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

loonycyborg wrote:Works as it should for me. Post contents of your .scons-option-cache. Are you passing prefix=~/ through command-line? If you edit .scons-option-cache ~/ may not be expanded properly.
Through command line. But here's what's in my .scons-option-cache:

Code: Select all

default_targets = 'wesnoth,wesnothd'
prefix = '/home/turin'
(Note: I thought it by default did wesnoth_editor and not wesnothd, but apparently I had that backwards)
loonycyborg wrote:Or, don't install wesnoth at all and run it from working copy root: "./wesnoth"
Yeah, I could do that, but it would be nice to have it installed normally.
The World of Orbivm
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

If I set prefix to $HOME it installs binaries in $HOME/bin as attached output of "scons install" shows. What do you get in output of "scons install"?
Attachments
install.txt
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
"meh." - zookeeper
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

loonycyborg wrote:If I set prefix to $HOME it installs binaries in $HOME/bin as attached output of "scons install" shows. What do you get in output of "scons install"?
OK... apparently, my install script did not include any such "scons install" line. I added it and it works fine. Sorry. :oops:
The World of Orbivm